Day rate drivers or exempt employee OVERTIME

dmac1

I think exec32 is right. Probably a salaried position. It gets more confusing when you add in stop bonuses, monthly bonuses and such. Probably most labor boards don't want to pursue this. It would take a class action lawsuit. Who you gonna sue? The broke ass contractor? No lawyer would take the case. It would have to be tied into FedEx proving somehow they set up labor violations type of thingy. If you got a lot of time go for it. I'll get in the class and cash the check. If you don't like the pay it would be easier to look for another job.

Any lawsuit, to be worth filing, would be with a claim that fedex is either:
1. A co-employer, like some frnchise employeees have been foung to be employees of both the parent company and the franchisee, or
2. that the contractor is an employee and thus the drivers are fedex edmployees.

The second scenario is what happened to me. After leaving fedex, one of my former drivers filed for unemployment and claimed wages I had paid them, but didn't pay UI tax because I paid them as subcontractors. Even had a contract. But the point is that I was found to be a fedex employee, and ALL the drivers I hired were found to be fedex employees as well. I also collected unemployment benefits. But this was all based on state law and there are 50 variations. And it was before fedex required that you pay drivers as employees and pay all employment taxes. But in reality, the fact that fedex requires that you pay drivers as employees means that fedex has even MORE control over your
business, making it more likely that an ISP could be considered to be an employee of fedex. If it was really your business, you could hire subcontractors.

I believe it was my 'victory' in claiming that my drivers were fedex employees, and the claim by the state for back employment taxes from fedex was why they started demanding proof of payment of employment taxes. As long as the taxes get paid, the state doesn't really care when a claim is filed. Fedex just uses the 'contractor model' to avoid liability. It is an extra step that most drivers won't go through to prove fedex is their employer as long as they get their UI benefits. Same goes for most minor vehicle injuries and accident. When a fedex ISP driver kills a schoolbus full of children, you can bet that attorneys will claim fedex is the actual employer, and will likely win in front of a jury. Fedex has deep pockets, over and above what any insurance the ISP has might cover.

And as far as overtime- again depending on the state, as long as you pay at least 1 1/2 times the normal rate for anything over 8 hours, you are safe. You can arrange an hourly pay of minimum wage, plus a per stop pay, and only owe a couple bucks extra on the hours over 8. Example- If you pay $8 and hour, plus a stop pay, or a bonus over a certain threshold, after 8 hour, you need to pay $12 an hour, or only $4 more for each hour. $4 shouldn't break the ISP. Some states will let you pay 4 10 hour days with no vertime until after ten hours. So if you rotate your schedules and have one extra driver per 4 routes, you can avoid overtime most of the time. Then again, some states will folow DOT and exempt you from paying overtime if subject ot DOT regulations. If you are in a <10k vehicle, you should be paid overtime. The HD lawsuit about overtime applied only to drivers of vehicles less than 10,000 lb GVWR

MAKAVELI

Yup. Drivers that operated vehicles under 10k lbs were due overtime. Drivers that operated vehicles over 10k lbs did not because they are covered under the exemption. Like I said before, I’ve actually been sued for this and won, it’s not debatable. The law is clear.
Don't recall any of the CA contractors being separated based on trucks.

bacha29

Don't recall any of the CA contractors being separated based on trucks.
IWBF is correct regarding the FLSA . The issue to be debated going forward is what is a salary and when and where it can be applied. The intent of the FLSA as it pertains to non overtime pay for 10K GVW vehicles appears to be focused on long haul truckers paid by the mile. Using the same exemption for non CDL local P&D could sooner rather than later be subjected to increased scrutiny given how Amazon is taking the Ground model and copying it.

STFXG

I pay all my drivers salary + OT. Simplifies payroll since I operate vehicles above and below the 10k threshold. It’s a pretty easy calculation and I’ve been vetted by FedEx legal.
Example:
$150 daily salary
50 hours worked over 5 days
5*150=750 base salary
750/50=$15 effective hourly rate
15/2=7.5 OT Rate
50-40=10 OT Hours
10*7.5=$75 OT pay
750+75=$825 Total Pay

That’s the calculation for a 40 hour work week state. Same concept if it is an 8 hour day state, just more work to calculate. As long as you are paying above minimum wage and have stated in your employee handbook that the salary is based on any hours worked then it is legal.

STFXG

And as far as overtime- again depending on the state, as long as you pay at least 1 1/2 times the normal rate for anything over 8 hours, you are safe. You can arrange an hourly pay of minimum wage, plus a per stop pay, and only owe a couple bucks extra on the hours over 8. Example- If you pay $8 and hour, plus a stop pay, or a bonus over a certain threshold, after 8 hour, you need to pay $12 an hour, or only $4 more for each hour. $4 shouldn't break the ISP.
This is incorrect. Any regular bonuses or piece rate has to be added in to calculate total compensation with OT.
Example:
$8 per hour
$1 per stop over 120 stops
125 stops per day
45 hours worked
$10 bonus to load truck daily
5 days worked
$8*45=360
360+25(extra stops)+50(loading bonus)=435
435/45=9.67 effective hourly rate
9.67/2=$4.83 OT rate
4.83*5=$24.17 OT pay
435+24.17=$459.17 Total pay

dmac1

This is incorrect. Any regular bonuses or piece rate has to be added in to calculate total compensation with OT.
Example:
$8 per hour
$1 per stop over 120 stops
125 stops per day
45 hours worked
$10 bonus to load truck daily
5 days worked
$8*45=360
360+25(extra stops)+50(loading bonus)=435
435/45=9.67 effective hourly rate
9.67/2=$4.83 OT rate
4.83*5=$24.17 OT pay
435+24.17=$459.17 Total pay

Of course, if you are paying $8 an hour, even with bonuses and OT like your example, you are paying barely $10 an hour overall. And in your example, you should calculate the pay based on what they would earn in 40 hours, not 45. And if load time is above and beyond the 40 hours, you need to pay OT for that. If loading takes an hour, you would need to pay $12. Separating it out makes little sense.

Add in the time spent loading if not included in the 8 hours per day, and you need to pay another $60 a week if you are paying a bonus. And why not just pay $9.25 an hour if they are required to load anyway??? Making it part of a bonus complicates things and if it is a required part of the job, you would need to pay them the normal rate, and if you are paying a bonus, it would be ON TOP of the hourly rate, and change the hourly OT rate. Combining bonuses with what the employee is doing in a normal 8 hour day unnecessarily complicates things. Maybe to get more out of people who you expect to work OT, pay 1 3/4 instead of 1 1/2 the normal hourly rate for OT. You can pay more for OT tan time and a half, but not less. If someone can finish faster than 8 hours, pay them for a full 8 hours. If they can't complete a regular 8 hour job in 8 hours, cut their hourly rate.

Yozh69

If you are a driver you do not meet the federal definition for salaried or exempt worker. If your contractor pays you a salary to avoid overtime pay they are breaking the law.
If you are paid a daily rate your company is still required to account for and pay you overtime compensation for hours worked over 40.
DO NOT ACCEPT THE OWNERS EXCUSE OR LIE. These guys pay you this way to avoid overtime pay. This again is against the law.
If you file a complaint with the labor department you will remain anonymous. They cannot disclose your identity. The feds will audit all their wages to ensure they avoid identifying you. They will find the overtime you are owed and force the owner to pay everyone owed. The owner will then have to ensure no future violations.
Try it out, what have you got to lose.
Richard!! Good to see you. I don't care what other people say about the Trumka line but you're OK, dude!

TNT Frosty

Just learning abit here and there.. but in america, isnt min wage... now lord knows why states are different to others... but some states min wage is $7.25.. and others are $10...

And basically, "READ YOUR CONTRACT"... friend or neutral, make sure you know what your signing up for?, I wouldnt mind working for a subbie, but under certain contract rules and what not... (I know what my target is to be viable per week).. but im guessing more CC(custom critical), not friend(Freight) or G(ground)