Day shift transfer??

I’m a preloader and I have been working 3 months. I’m pretty miserable where I’m at right now. I really sucked at loading at first but I’m getting a lot better and a lot quicker and gaining respect. Still, there’s so many reasons why I hate being a preloader I’m not even gonna get into it. The primary reason though, is not being able to sleep through the night, no matter how early I go to bed.

My building has a 12-5pm day sort. I HAVE to get on this shift. I can’t get a straight answer from anyone on how to get it or how long it will take. Some people say 6 months, some people say at least a year or longer. If can’t get on the day shift by March/April I may quit and get a new job (my friend works for delta and her boss could hook me up). But I do want to work for UPS, just not preloading, midnight, or twilight.

For what it’s worth, I am in the union. I also have another job but it’s as flexible as I need it to be, so day shift would not interfere with it. Somebody help me out here, I need a lot more info than what I’m getting??

km3

My building has a 12-5pm day sort. I HAVE to get on this shift. I can’t get a straight answer from anyone on how to get it or how long it will take. Some people say 6 months, some people say at least a year or longer. If can’t get on the day shift by March/April I may quit and get a new job (my friend works for delta and her boss could hook me up). But I do want to work for UPS, just not preloading, midnight, or twilight.

Where I am it's 6 months. However, if they're hiring people off the street for the day shift, the stewards can sometimes make something happen sooner than that. It just depends on your supplement and local practices. At this point, if you got the ball rolling today, I'd guess your best chance would be to move at the end of January/sometime in February. They don't like moving people around during peak.

Don't worry about what the other guy said, either. Preloading is pretty much the hardest part-time job at UPS. Just about any job you'd be doing on the day shift, whether it's loading trailers, unloading, or sorting, is going to be significantly easier than preloading is. Management in the hub shifts (day, twilight, and midnight) tend to be a lot more laid back than preload management, too.