Daylight Savings Time

traveler

Where next? Venice
Could someone please explain as to why we have this time change. What is the benefit of it? Thanks

Frankly, it makes little sense to change the clocks twice a year. What would make much more sense is to have one time zone in the entire USA. Alright, we'll exclude Hawaii and Alaska since they are so far away from the continental 48. That works now for India, which actually spans three time zones and for China that spans five.

Old habits die hard. :2guns::wheelchai

terrymac

Lets see,Ive got three watches I need to change, three clocks, two cars , and that darn vcr... NOPE Im not going change any of them, Im just going to change my start time accorrdingly, that is back on hour.

DiadDude

I think before the industrialized age it allowed more daylight with which to harvest the crops.
Now I think it is because the days last longer and less energy is used lighting homes at night.
I think Arizona doesn't recognize DST which always intrigued me as to how/why.

Arizona is further south and therefore the sun is not as obscured by the curvature of the Earth when it is in the southern hemisphere. The days there are naturally longer than they are further north. Most people know about the months of daylight and months of night in Alaska, Arizona is the opposite since it is further south. There is less change in the length of their days from Summer to Winter than in say Minnesota.

What time is it in Indiana? From my understanding, what time it is used to vary from county to county. One county would be in the central time zone, while another would observe the eastern time zone. On top of this, some counties recognized daylight savings, while other didn't. I believe the state legislature fixed the hodgepodge time table for the state a few years ago. Anyone from Indiana care to elaborate on this? Anyway, Indiana is currently observing both eastern standard time and central standard time.

Indiana now uses mostly Eastern time and only a handful of counties in the northwest and southwest corners of the state use Central time. All of Indiana is supposed to observe DST.

Sammie

trickpony1
I think Arizona doesn't recognize DST which always intrigued me as to how/why.

BTW, for some reason, the Navajo Nation within Arizona does
observe DLS, but since the sun doesn't set in Arizona in the summer until around 9:00 pm, they need more daylight at the end of the day like a hole in the head.

(I found this out from my daughter who's Native American and
travels to various reservations...):red_india

It's funny how one's biological clock is affected by DLS every
year. It's 7:00 pm where I am now, it's already pitch black out
and it feels like it's 10:00 p.m. :confused:1

In the spring, I want my hour back and who enjoys night time at 4:30 p.m.? Call it astronomy or call it magic, but the sun continues to shine 12 hours a day. Why can't we just leave it the hell alone? Besides, there aren't enough hours in the day as it is !!!

And isn't it peculiar that Congress would fumble with DLS now, starting it 3 weeks earlier and ending it a week later. That's a lot of companies
that will have to reset their automatic equipment. Wonder what that will cost them?

Dutch Dawg

What time is it in Indiana? From my understanding, what time it is used to vary from county to county. One county would be in the central time zone, while another would observe the eastern time zone. On top of this, some counties recognized daylight savings, while other didn't. I believe the state legislature fixed the hodgepodge time table for the state a few years ago. Anyone from Indiana care to elaborate on this? Anyway, Indiana is currently observing both eastern standard time and central standard time.

Previously you would have found a few perimeter counties near Chicago and the southwest corner of the state observing Central DST. Then there were a few counties in the southeastern corner observing Eastern DST with pretty much the rest of the state observing Eastern Standard Time.

Now all of Indiana observes DST with most of the state observing the Eastern time zone, there is still a patchhwork of counties observing Central time. Several Counties also have successfully petitioned the DOT to change time zones since the initial change. Do you follow thus far? Good..cause many Hoosiers are still befuddled and confused by the handling of this issue.

As they believe Governor Mitch and the General Assembly didn't really fix the problem, they just adjusted the situtation to their liking. Kinda like the Toll Road lease, added excise tax to motorcycles plated in the second half of the year and the recent property tax fiascial....

landrick

Of course...everybody realizes that we just "fell back" to *Standard* time, right? If it weren't for Daylight Saving Time, you would already have been driving home in the dark for the last few weeks.

Personally, I wish we had DST all year long! No resetting the clocks, and you'd always get the most daylight in the evening...

DiadDude

Of course...everybody realizes that we just "fell back" to *Standard* time, right? If it weren't for Daylight Saving Time, you would already have been driving home in the dark for the last few weeks.

Personally, I wish we had DST all year long! No resetting the clocks, and you'd always get the most daylight in the evening...

I think we're always just 1/2 hour off.

moreluck

golden ticket member
The day after turning the clocks back I was up at 4 AM. Now the second day after I was up at 4:30 AM.....................So am I adjusting or what ?:confused:1

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Could someone please explain as to why we have this time change. What is the benefit of it? Thanks
There is no logical reason, it just is. No one can give a clear and concise answer as to why. But no one has the gonads to change it, and we the sheeple dont know how to get it changed. Ever see headlights on a farm vehicle? I used to see them out at 8pm at night, now they need lights at 530pm. Duh.

Big Babooba

The time change doesn't bother me.I rely on my own internal clock. When my stomach grumbles - it's time to eat. When I yawn - its time to go to bed. When that hot, red headed receptionist tells me that she wants to be mine - it's time to wake up because it's all a dream.:sad:

pkg-king

I have a quick question for you... What do you seasoned guys do to find some of these addresses in the dark? (Hard enough to find in the daylight sometimes) Do you use a flashlight, spotlight or just close your eyes and hope for the best!?

We have a guy in our center that uses a cordless spotlight. The nice thing about having your own route is you know everyones address, it makes things alot easier. You get to know which driveways or lanes you can pull in or which you have to walk-off, it makes things alot easier in the dark.

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
There is no daylight savings time here, thankfully. Though the UPS planes are landing an hour later and that sucks, other than that, not affected by the change.

trickpony1

Arizona is further south and therefore the sun is not as obscured by the curvature of the Earth when it is in the southern hemisphere. The days there are naturally longer than they are further north. Most people know about the months of daylight and months of night in Alaska, Arizona is the opposite since it is further south. There is less change in the length of their days from Summer to Winter than in say Minnesota.

I closely researched my free standing globe that I got as a safe driving trinket.
It revealed that there are states that are as "south" if not further "south" than Arizona that observe daylight savings time.
I'm not sure that your theory about Arizona being "south" has anything to do with it not observing DST but I could be wrong.

moreluck

golden ticket member
trick....maybe because Arizona is so frickin' hot they don't want to expose themselves to any more daylight than they have to !!!! :biggrin:

DiadDude

I closely researched my free standing globe that I got as a safe driving trinket.
It revealed that there are states that are as "south" if not further "south" than Arizona that observe daylight savings time.
I'm not sure that your theory about Arizona being "south" has anything to do with it not observing DST but I could be wrong.

OK, you got me. The real answer is that they don't observe DST because they don't freakin want to. The reason that they don't want to, they're far enough south (not the fathest, but far enough) that their days are longer than many others and they don't really need to adjust the sunlight window.

Here is a good site that shows a "Sun clock". http://www.worldtimezone.com/datetime.htm
If you look at the image, you'll notice that the dark area (night) is narrower (shorter) the further south you are.