Deadly 100+ Vehicle Pileup in TX

FedUPSer9816

Full Service
20210211_222907.jpg

There was a deadly 100+ Pileup in Texas yesterday due to icy conditions. For us professional drivers, why is it that so many couldn't manage to safely operate their vehicles or adjust for the changing conditions?

Staydryitsraining

Texas roads and road management when this weather hits isnt up to par with other states because it's such a rarity. Also supposedly the blame is being pushed on the city for the way the roads were treated.

barnyard

KTM rider
It happened on an overpass. Overpasses are notorious when it gets cold for freezing before everything else. This is one of those, but for the grace of doG, there go I.

rod

Retired 22 years
View attachment 328153

There was a deadly 100+ Pileup in Texas yesterday due to icy conditions. For us professional drivers, why is it that so many couldn't manage to safely operate their vehicles or adjust for the changing conditions?
Have you ever driven in the Dallas -Ft.Worth area? If you aren't doing 80 you get ran over. Apparently 80+ and icy roads don't mix. My daughter lives in Dallas and they had cancelled schools because these conditions were expected. If you watch the videos of this incident happening these people hadn't slowed down one bit. It even appeared like the semis were traveling the fastest and they call themselves professional drivers.

rod

Retired 22 years
Texas roads and road management when this weather hits isnt up to par with other states because it's such a rarity. Also supposedly the blame is being pushed on the city for the way the roads were treated.
Icy roads around the Dallas area are not uncommon. It happens every winter. There is no excuse to be driving that fast if icy roads are in the forecast like they were then.

Have you ever driven in the Dallas -Ft.Worth area? If you aren't doing 80 you get ran over. Apparently 80+ and icy roads don't mix. My daughter lives in Dallas and they had cancelled schools because these conditions were expected. If you watch the videos of this incident happening these people hadn't slowed down one bit. It even appeared like the semis were traveling the fastest and they call themselves professional drivers.
Same thing I was thinking. Daughter lived in Austin and going through Dallas was the worse part of the drive.

FedUPSer9816

Full Service
Yeah I drove to Dallas and Houston from the NE years ago. I agree that at least the semi truck drivers should have known better. That FedEx truck was flying! UPS gets on my nerves with their 5s and 10s, but those safe driving factors do work. Nobody aimed high in steering, got the big picture, left themselves an out, adjusted for the icy conditions.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
This video has been making the rounds in my feeder department. Last I heard, 6 dead and around 30 hospitalized. The roads were iced over and apparently Texas isn’t prepared for those conditions like having a pile of salt laying around because that weather isn’t common. Don’t know if I 100% blame the drivers. 10 car pile up, someone or everyone involved is an idiot. When we are talking 100+ car pile up, there has to be something bigger at play.

wilberforce15

In my experience in the south, big rigs are consistently the most aggressive and fast in the bad conditions.

They're paid by the mile, not the hour.

El Correcto

god is dead
It’s not even a rarity for us to get ice during February. It happens basically every year and then people act surprised.

My father was kind of talking :censored2: to me when I bought a set of wheels and tires for winter for my muscle car. “You’re the only person in Texas with snow tires”. We just don’t salt the roads at all, when they become undrivable they stay undrivable, you’re bound to hit huge patches of ice on bridges going 60+ Mph.

quad decade guy

Notice how the lane was boxed in. Nowhere to go. The new "express" lanes are like this. BTW, this is Fort Worth, not Dallas. Huge difference. Speed limit here(I believe ) is 75 mph. People go as fast as possible in these lanes. I believe this is going towards Downtown Fort Worth and traffic bottlenecks to a near standstill as it enters the exchange....especially mornings. Anyone going slow for ice would likely get hit as tailgating and excessive speed are sop. Less than car length separation(@80 mph) of big trucks and cars is quite normal through here.

BTW, TXDOT is not responsible for this accident(see above ^).

I comment often about speeding and tailgating , especially in work zones and such. And regularly belittled for such.

The route I drive every night can have at least one Fed Ex ground rig in the ditch every week. I regularly get passed in all conditions and especially work zones by these vehicles. These guys are in a hurry. Just like our guys.

The best policy for any UPS driver is to take a day off in conditions such as this.

UPS used to NEVER cancel anything in DFW. That has changed somewhat due to accidents and especially damaged vehicles(too hard to replace).

ManInBrown

Not surprising to see FedEx involved. Sure it could have been UPS or anyone, but FedEx are by far the biggest arseclowns on the road. We got snow here the other day, FedEx guy passes me doing 60 like it was 85 and sunny out. Every other driver on the road creeping along 15-20 mph. What do you think I saw up the road about three miles? The FedEx guy jackknifed and crashed in the woods. Trailer hanging in the right lane on the road and tractor half in the woods, half on the shoulder facing oncoming traffic. They are complete idiots.

quad decade guy

Not surprising to see FedEx involved. Sure it could have been UPS or anyone, but FedEx are by far the biggest arseclowns on the road. We got snow here the other day, FedEx guy passes me doing 60 like it was 85 and sunny out. Every other driver on the road creeping along 15-20 mph. What do you think I saw up the road about three miles? The FedEx guy jackknifed and crashed in the woods. Trailer hanging in the right lane on the road and tractor half in the woods, half on the shoulder facing oncoming traffic. They are complete idiots.
Not just "them". There were 130 cars in that crash. We have those "complete idiots" working at UPS. Trust me. And mgt looking the other way. Condoning by ignoring.

ManInBrown

Not just "them". There were 130 cars in that crash. We have those "complete idiots" working at UPS. Trust me. And mgt looking the other way. Condoning by ignoring.
I know, and that’s why I said could have been anyone. Could have been UPS. I’m just telling you I see it every night, FedEx are the biggest A holes on the road And it’s not even close.