Deadly 100+ Vehicle Pileup in TX

Zowert

Have you ever driven in the Dallas -Ft.Worth area? If you aren't doing 80 you get ran over. Apparently 80+ and icy roads don't mix. My daughter lives in Dallas and they had cancelled schools because these conditions were expected. If you watch the videos of this incident happening these people hadn't slowed down one bit. It even appeared like the semis were traveling the fastest and they call themselves professional drivers.
That FedEx rig was hauling ass. Anyone in his path when he hit the pile was likely killed. Anyway, you’re right about Dallas/Ft Worth. I remember going 70 on the highway and having people pass me like I was standing still.

ManInBrown

wonder how many of these peoples were staring at a cellphone or taking a selfie..
🧔✊
Don’t forget about watching TV on a cellphone mounted on their dashboard. I see a handful of truckers every night barreling down an interstate doing 70 while watching their favorite TV show.

ManInBrown

For anyone saying UPS truckers drive like idiots also, I’m sorry but for the most part you’re wrong. I probably encounter 25 UPS truckers on the interstate every night from building I don’t work out of. You can just glance over and see the tractor number. I can’t even remember the last time I saw one driving irresponsibly. You can tell who the idiots are. They are the ones where as soon as you pull in front of them, they will be a half mile back and floor it because you got in front of them. The only idiot UPS truckers I ever see are sleeper tractors. 99% of UPS truckers that I have seen in my time in feeders drive right around the speed limit and drive responsibly.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Not surprising to see FedEx involved. Sure it could have been UPS or anyone, but FedEx are by far the biggest arseclowns on the road. We got snow here the other day, FedEx guy passes me doing 60 like it was 85 and sunny out. Every other driver on the road creeping along 15-20 mph. What do you think I saw up the road about three miles? The FedEx guy jackknifed and crashed in the woods. Trailer hanging in the right lane on the road and tractor half in the woods, half on the shoulder facing oncoming traffic. They are complete idiots.
I reeeallly wish you would separate the FedEx tractor trailer drivers by company. I know many FedEx Express TT drivers and they have the same mentality about driving that tractor as UPS feeder drivers....it’ll get there when it gets there. They’re paid by the hour and are all about safety also. Ground on the other hand, I agree with you.

ManInBrown

I reeeallly wish you would separate the FedEx tractor trailer drivers by company. I know many FedEx Express TT drivers and they have the same mentality about driving that tractor as UPS feeder drivers....it’ll get there when it gets there. They’re paid by the hour and are all about safety also. Ground on the other hand, I agree with you.
Yes, I don’t see many FedEx express tractors on the road. I’m speaking about Ground.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
Don’t forget about watching TV on a cellphone mounted on their dashboard. I see a handful of truckers every night barreling down an interstate doing 70 while watching their favorite TV show.

That :censored2: drives me nuts. I was sitting at an intersection and one of those ABF tractors pulls up next to me. He has his dash-mounted GPS on one side and his cell mounted on the other, watching Family Guy or some stupid :censored2: while sitting at a red light.

ManInBrown

About a year ago I was driving in a torrential downpour. Windy AF. The conditions were just horrible. Aside from snow, the worst conditions I’ve been in since coming to feeders. I was pulling an empty and could barely keep myself going straight. UPS sleeper tractor passes me in the middle lane bobtail, like I was standing still. Scared the sheet out of me. When you’re driving in conditions like that, you don’t expect to see someone fly past you like that out of the corner of your eye. Honestly that’s one of the only times in my entire feeder career I saw a UPS trucker driving irresponsibly. If I saw it all the time, I would say so.

Last edited:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
For anyone saying UPS truckers drive like idiots also, I’m sorry but for the most part you’re wrong. I probably encounter 25 UPS truckers on the interstate every night from building I don’t work out of. You can just glance over and see the tractor number. I can’t even remember the last time I saw one driving irresponsibly. You can tell who the idiots are. They are the ones where as soon as you pull in front of them, they will be a half mile back and floor it because you got in front of them. The only idiot UPS truckers I ever see are sleeper tractors. 99% of UPS truckers that I have seen in my time in feeders drive right around the speed limit and drive responsibly.
I'm not calling anyone an idiot, but I had UPS tractors blow by me pretty much every night when I was doing the speed limit. We got our share of speedsters.

rod

Retired 22 years
If I happen to get stuck behind one of the feeders leaving my old center they seem to always be doing about 1 mph under the speed limit. It must have something to do with being paid by the hour. :-)

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If I happen to get stuck behind one of the feeders leaving my old center they seem to always be doing about 1 mph under the speed limit. It must have something to do with being paid by the hour. :-)
If the speed limit was 60 I set the cruise for 57, and that was if it was clear and sunny.

newolddude

DFW drivers are insane. 80mph barely keeps up on the highway. And they know :censored2: about driving in the rain or cold precip. Slowing down for weather is 70mph.

ManInBrown

It must have something to do with being paid by the hour. :-)
Bingo. That’s what happens when you’re paid a fair wage for a days work. People for the most part do the job the right way safely and don’t out the public at risk. None of this BS sorry but you’re making the same amount whether you finish at midnight or 4am. That should be outlawed. All truckers should be paid hourly. The public is endangered when you have idiots on the road like I saw the other night. Driving like it’s 85 and sunny in a snowstorm. Few miles up the road wrecked.

MethodsMan

I am Circle of Honor over 30 years, and the above is true.
A huge part of safe driving is knowing when not to drive because it's just not safe.

Bingo.

From a company that preaches safety ad nauseum they should have no issues if in your judgement you don’t feel it’s safe to drive package car that day.

Most of what we’re delivering is slippers and a toothbrush.

quad decade guy

Bingo.

From a company that preaches safety ad nauseum they should have no issues if in your judgement you don’t feel it’s safe to drive package car that day.

Most of what we’re delivering is slippers and a toothbrush.

Bingo. Sort of. Preaching it and enforcing it are two wholly separate things. Looking the other way, actually encourages unsafe behavior.

I realize this is pretty obvious. The load content doesn't mean anything.

My tractor alerts me to the speed limit and when its being exceeded. Mgt knows this also. But the on time feeder network is more

important. They'll say otherwise but......witness illegal equipment. I've turned down my share of loads(non-roadworthy).....to see it arrive

10 minutes after me.

Hear this: if a UPS vehicle was involved in this tragedy.....it is a certainty the drivers telematics would be used to every extent...(good or

bad). Telematics for discipline? You bet your career. And you can absolutely guarantee all of the vehicles involved will be closely

scrutinized for legality and drug tests will be administered.....absolutely. And the video footage.....oh boy!

So, next time you mount that UPS vehicle......ask yourself: what happens if.....

Do the job right(legally) and by procedure and you can have little worry.