dealing with constant harassment from supervisors

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I arrive 2 minutes to start, which has also cut down on socializing with other drivers, but its about self preservation, not friendship.
Ive read many good ways of handling it, on this thread and many many others.
I try to use any and all. Im not good at stress. Sending me on the road, stressed out, is not good for them or me. They should not do it. My best reply was when I had a ton of air, and he wanted to chit chat about production. I simply said I dont have time for this now, hang out tonight when I get in and we will have a sit down. He said, I dont want to be here til 8......................I said neither do I..............fix my dispatch and get me in at 5.

Don't let them stress you out. Why? Because you might get in an accident. If that happens, then you will be on your own. You can tell them, "Yeah, but you keep hassling me about production, that stressed me out, and that's what contributed to my accident." They will look at you like you are speaking Russian.

Look, stress is your problem. It's up to you to control it. If it has come to the point where you are feeling stress because of management's demands, then you should be filing harassment grievances. Put the stress on them. Understand, this is their job. They are professional :censored2:s. Once you accept that, you will find it doesn't really even bother you.

In your situation, come in anytime before your start time that you want. Talk to your friends. The second your driver sup, center manager, district manager approaches you, simply tell them: "Stop, I am OFF the clock. Talk to me at my start time." Then look away, or continue talking to your buddies. You should have ZERO company conversations with management, regarding work issues, before your start time. ZERO!! You are under no obligation to speak to them before your start time. But it is up to you to let them know this. Yeah, at first it is a little uncomfortable, but a week later, you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

It sounds like they are in your head. Remember, it is their job to get in your head. Yours is to block them. It's not hard to do, but you have to have a little "I don't give a crap" attitude about yourself. It's for your own protection. Really, it does you no favor to be mad at them. They benefit if you are afraid, nervous or worried about your numbers. They know you will be more likely to rush, take shortcuts, skip your lunch or run to make their numbers. Don't begrudge them. Just don't empower them.

Honestly, this job isn't good for you if you can't firewall the stress. You can accomplish this by standing up for yourself when they speak to you, or by filing grievances. Just understand that they will fight you when you do stand up. Expect this, so when it comes, you will be ready. Because it WILL come. That's ok. It's what they do. If you stand up for yourself, they will just move on the next meek driver.

But if you get nothing from this, get this: once you put your package car in drive, you better check that stress. I'm not being critical, but that stress is on you. You gotta figure out a way to do your job without thinking about what management tries putting in your head. No one wants to feel the guilt of hurting someone in an accident. You gotta protect yourself. Stay calm, and stand up for yourself. It really works.

Buck Fifty

I've went on too long here said:
Yes you did, but all very effective. All drivers aren't able to pull these answers out of their hat so quick. The last one should be your only answer to any question. Never go into detail about any time gap. They can do 1 of 2 things at this point. 1. walk you out 2. tell you to go to work. Always have a steward there, not because your not man enough, but to hold the supervisor accountable for his actions. It amazes me how much Upstate will demean people on here and slide by. I imagine with him its never face to face, more like face to mid section.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I dont talk to them alone any more. When I got robbed, the LP lady said "no you dont need anyone" I took someone. I knew I would be blamed. It was the pt steward but it was someone. I never heard a word, not a "are you OK out there"," has anyone else bothered you", all I know is I had a union letter sent to my local, and I never saw it. I saw a letter from my union, saying I was grieving it, I dont even know what they accused me of.
So I yes have an IDC attitude, and that is sad, coz I really cared about my job, my personna, and my customers. I dont now, and I need to at least for a few more years.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Come in 5 mins before start time, don't talk to any management before start time, do your job, come back and clock out, leave immediately and don't talk to sups during that time. Remember, your center manager can only talk to you if he can actually identify you, try to be THAT guy.

L

Loufan

Luckily at my job I rarely have to talk to my sup, I just do my job, walk the belt off and go home. Back when i was a loader I had some crazy sups, one in particular harassed and yelled and threatened everyone, but i stuck it out. He eventually got fired for a reason i don't know.

But at my job they only stick around for 6 months and they get moved so if your area is like that I would just suck it up until they leave and hope you get a better sup.
Or file a grievance if it's real bad or something.

Also sorry if you're a driver my answer was meant for a warehouse person not sure if it would work if you're a driver. Good luck