Dealing with reality: who's got tips for running Orion?

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
The people with a vested interest in seeing the market dictated stuck price go up?

I have a vested interest in seeing my family more than 30 mins a day. The people you mentioned really seem to excessively greedy to the rest of us. Now answer the question mouth! Who owns 60% of the stock and more than 85% of the vote just so everyone here understands the playing field?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
As much as some of you guzzle the anti ORION cool aide giving yourselves a bad case of ORION derangement syndrome, trying to use ORION during peak with a bulked out car is totally insane. ORION is designed to increase stops per mile. Stop density during peak is plenty high enough as is unless your PDS is an epileptic duck with sticky feet. If that's the case, your trace likely blows and therefore your ORION solution will as well.

As an aside, you have a mapnav button on the DIAD now?!? Holy mother Jones. If I had had that in my center, I'd post a list of all the drivers in my group that used it more that 5 times in a day under the title "Our Pussilanimuses yesterday were...". I'd post it every day right up until HR walked me out.
The difference in hitting mapnav compared to looking at a map is?

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Employees are collectively the majority shareholder? Had no idea. Has it always been like this? Since we went public

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Option #3 run as close to 100% as possible but pull to make service on air or businesses. Get on 9.5 list and significantly reduce stop count.
“Pulling to make service on air or business” means I am using my experience, area knowledge and judgement to make a decision.
Either I make all the decisions....or ORION makes all the decisions. There is no middle ground. I am here to deliver packages, not generate compliance metrics for meaningless reports.
If my employer wants me to make smart decisions...I can do that.
If my employer wants me to follow ORION 100% regardless of the consequences...I can do that, too.
But as long as I am the one who is held responsible for any service failures, then I will be the one who decides how the route needs to be run each day.

Last edited:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
As much as some of you guzzle the anti ORION cool aide giving yourselves a bad case of ORION derangement syndrome, trying to use ORION during peak with a bulked out car is totally insane. ORION is designed to increase stops per mile. Stop density during peak is plenty high enough as is unless your PDS is an epileptic duck with sticky feet. If that's the case, your trace likely blows and therefore your ORION solution will as well.

As an aside, you have a mapnav button on the DIAD now?!? Holy mother Jones. If I had had that in my center, I'd post a list of all the drivers in my group that used it more that 5 times in a day under the title "Our Pussilanimuses yesterday were...". I'd post it every day right up until HR walked me out.
The problem is not ORION.
The problem is that the company is now blocking us from being able to view RDO.
The information that we need in order to function in a bulked out car...namely a manifest that lists the stops in the order that they are loaded...is being hidden from us.
We can now only view the manifest through the distorted lens of ORION, regardless of how screwed up or impossible the “solution” might be.
Only an idiot would make a decision to intentionally set us up to fail in such a manner.

brownIEman

I have a vested interest in seeing my family more than 30 mins a day. The people you mentioned really seem to excessively greedy to the rest of us. Now answer the question mouth! Who owns 60% of the stock and more than 85% of the vote just so everyone here understands the playing field?

unless things have changed, that ownership would be management and the UPS foundation. Those people do not, however, dictate stock price anymore, the market does that since the IPO. So I really don't know what your point is, do you?

The name calling seems rather low brow, but whatever, been called worse.

brownIEman

The problem is not ORION.
The problem is that the company is now blocking us from being able to view RDO.
The information that we need in order to function in a bulked out car...namely a manifest that lists the stops in the order that they are loaded...is being hidden from us.
We can now only view the manifest through the distorted lens of ORION, regardless of how screwed up or impossible the “solution” might be.
Only an idiot would make a decision to intentionally set us up to fail in such a manner.

That does sound monumentally stupid.

brownIEman

The difference in hitting mapnav compared to looking at a map is?

Seriously? The difference is huge.
But if I could have run a report on the number of times someone looked at a map, as I am sure ORS' can now query how many times someone hits mapnav, I would have been happy to add those names to my hypothetical pusilanimus report.
You know what is a bigger difference than pulling up a gps navigator and looking at a map? Learning your route and knowing where the heck you are going vs either of those other things.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I enjoy the daily Orion route jumble. At least it adds a little challenge. Once you figure out which businesses with next day savers Orion has you delivering after the commit time every, single, day it tends to get a little predictable though. Can't wait 'til we get a new dispatcher, again, then I'll get to relearn how to figure out the route all over.

Heavy Package

Today I ran about 75% Orion and it actually worked out great.

ORION implementation team at Integrad training...

WeekendAtBernies_184Pyxurz.jpg

Brownslave688

“Pulling to make service on air or business” means I am using my experience, area knowledge and judgement to make a decision.
Either I make all the decisions....or ORION makes all the decisions. There is no middle ground. I am here to deliver packages, not generate compliance metrics for meaningless reports.
If my employer wants me to make smart decisions...I can do that.
If my employer wants me to follow ORION 100% regardless of the consequences...I can do that, too.
But as long as I am the one who is held responsible for any service failures, then I will be the one who decides how the route needs to be run each day.
YAWN

Brownslave688

Seriously? The difference is huge.
But if I could have run a report on the number of times someone looked at a map, as I am sure ORS' can now query how many times someone hits mapnav, I would have been happy to add those names to my hypothetical pusilanimus report.
You know what is a bigger difference than pulling up a gps navigator and looking at a map? Learning your route and knowing where the heck you are going vs either of those other things.
Ever heard of cover drivers?

Smh

brownIEman

Ever heard of cover drivers?

Smh
touche.
Yes, I've heard of cover drivers. They would get a pass, for the first 5 times they are on a particular route. Because I am that generous.
The trouble is if they use the navigation aides as a crutch and it stifles their actually learning the area. Saw it with many trainees, especially
when they used gps navigation on their phones...

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
touche.
Yes, I've heard of cover drivers. They would get a pass, for the first 5 times they are on a particular route. Because I am that generous.
The trouble is if they use the navigation aides as a crutch and it stifles their actually learning the area. Saw it with many trainees, especially
Orion tells you what your next stop is. It knows the optimum path to get there but you don't.

touche.
I would respectfully disagree....I have used maps as a crutch for decades. Never once in the diad tho. I have mistakenly hit the map button many times and wasted previous minutes to exit out.

Full disclosure: only on a couple hundred routes not thousands.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
that sounds sweet until you guys brag in another post about how you did half the work, dumped packages in your garage to deliver some other time, drove miles to your favorite hangout with other drivers, etc

your “best way they could” cost the company billions in completely unnecessary spending

while ORION isn’t perfect, can you really fault the company for trying to not have you guys be openly wasteful?

This=blanket statement