Dealing with reality: who's got tips for running Orion?

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Does mapnav not list nearby stops? if so, it would be a useful hack for catching stops that orion misses intentionally nearby;

It would not be used as a map, rather a tool for discovering stops better than scrolling up and down forever.
touche.
Yes, I've heard of cover drivers. They would get a pass, for the first 5 times they are on a particular route. Because I am that generous.
The trouble is if they use the navigation aides as a crutch and it stifles their actually learning the area. Saw it with many trainees, especially
when they used gps navigation on their phones...

Does mapnav not list nearby stops? if so, it would be a useful hack for catching stops that orion misses intentionally nearby;

It would not be used as a map, rather a tool for discovering stops better than scrolling up and down forever.
It does not. Only from your last completed stop to the stop you want to navigate to. The function is merely there to drain the battery.

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
Today I ran about 75% Orion and it actually worked out great. It will destroy any grid work, so I ran that 50 stop grid section shelf to shelf. Other than that it was stop for stop ODO and smooth as butter. No commits or pickups to interfere with the dispatch. Some things I've picked up:
-Always look out for irregularities in the hins. If a section in your board is all one shelf with a couple random oppsite shelf stops sprinkled in there, you gotta map it to check if it makes sense. It probably doesn't.
-If you're bricked out, just get the 1000 shelf knocked out in order and any RDR/L bulk stops and use that space to sort then you can switch back to orion for a while.
-Multiple stops one street: always know the highest and lowest number of the street in the Orion sequence. Abbreviate the addresses using the last two or 3 digits so they are easier to remember. Point being, you never know at which point on the road orion wants you to turn around so you gotta be ready.
-If it's got you crossing a busy highway multiple times friend that, go up one side of the highway get turned around and work the other. That crossing a 4 lane mph highway garbage is going to get one of these seasonals killed.
As I understand it, there's an unspoken agreement between myself and management that as long as I display the effort to use orion AND produce, they've never said a word to me. I don't ever run more than 50 clicks over though which is above average for our center these days (since the disappearance of RDO our underallowed has been cut in half).
Every body's center is different, but what do you guys do to use Orion and not let it use you?
Or is everybody here one of those crotchety old guys that runs everything shelf to shelf and completely ignores the order on the board and doesn't care about any "repercussions?"
Scroll thru the board and run the car the way it is loaded
Air Bulk in the back 1000 2000 etc
Until you know the route

Who Cares about numbers

brownIEman

Orion tells you what your next stop is. It knows the optimum path to get there but you don't.

A valid point. I never made a cover driver learn a new route on ORION. I've done cold on ORION. Cold on ORION sucks.

But again, back to my point, after five days on the route I'd expect them to be able to run it even with ORION without looking at a map every other stop.