deep trouble

W

westsideworma

If your story is correct, and you do lose your job, it's your own fault.....
From the Listerine website.....

How much alcohol is in Listerine® Antiseptic Mouthwash?

Cool Mint, FreshBurst, Natural Citrus and Vanilla Mint contain 21.6% alcohol by volume, while Gold contains 26.9% alcohol by volume.

Why on earth would you use this right before taking a test???????

I use mouthwash everyday before work....after brushing my teeth, many people do so I'm gonna go with force of habit? Besides if they can fire you for using Listerine whats next?

Granted getting a DUI was a foolish move in the first place, but still being terminated for residual effects of mouthwash is downright stupid.

dirk

no its random the sup calls me in the morning to tell me to go to workcare to take the test usually on the road to the building

trickpony1

maybe its the enviroment of this company that draws everybody to the alcohol. Its no secret that ups has a high rate of divorce and alcohol abuse...it would be very interesting to find out if this is totally related to this job. This isnt just in the union ranks either, theres a fair share of management that abuse alcohol also.
Bingo!
My stepdaughter had a business class at college. One of her textbooks clearly stated that employees of "our" company "......have a higher incidence of anxiety and depression than the [general workforce]"
The [brackets] mean I can't remember exactly the verbage that was used but the point of the statement was clear.
I wish I would have photocopied the article and framed it.

moreluck

golden ticket member
My daughter works in a toxicology lab and I asked her if "gargling" with Listerine would taint the alcohol test......

"Listerine
it may fluctuate a breathalyzer alcohol test but will not affect a blood or urine alcohol test. The breathalyzer may read .012% or so but in order to be positive it has to be at least .020% the only way it would effect a urine and/or blood test would be if the person drank at least 1/2 of a bottle and it still would be under the .020% cut off.."

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
The thing is, if he truly only had 4 beers the night before and hadn't thrown up there is NO WAY in hell that he would blow over the legal limit 9-10 hours later.

Throwing up that morning as well as the tylenol pm and the listerine COULD have had something to do with it, the fact they didn't do a BLOOD test because it is BAC or BLOOD ALCHOHOL CONTENT they want to know, should have him reinstated on that fact alone.

Lie detector tests lie and so do Breathalyzers.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Good call, Swing, but there may be more.

Art 35, Sec 4.11 talks about discipline. In short, it says:

"...employee will have one (1) time rehabilitation opportunity for alchohol abuse as outlined in..."

"There shall be a one (1) time rehabilitation opportunity for substance abuse."

Look at #4. Dischargable offenses, Part B:

"A positive test, defined as 0.02 or higher, as part of post-care testing."

Or Part C:

"Failure to comply with the after-care treatment program."

Have all the requirements been met?

It doesn't sound like it.

raceanoncr You might be right.........But Section 4.11 (4) Dischargeable Offenses (B) A positive test,defined as 0.02 or higher,as part of post care testing. Since he has a DUI on record and probably has to call that 800 number every morning he might be screwed.

The thing is, if he truly only had 4 beers the night before and hadn't thrown up there is NO WAY in hell that he would blow over the legal limit 9-10 hours later.

Throwing up that morning as well as the tylenol pm and the listerine COULD have had something to do with it, the fact they didn't do a BLOOD test because it is BAC or BLOOD ALCHOHOL CONTENT they want to know, should have him reinstated on that fact alone.

Lie detector tests lie and so do Breathalyzers.
Under the contract if you get nailed for dui, you must enroll in the Substance Abuse Program (SAP). The counselor decides on what your restrictions are, now if he was labeled as a heavy drinker they could tell him hes not allowed to drink and randomly test him for it. They did he failed and i hate to say it hes probably done with his career at ups.

Now im sure they told him he would be tested for booze, but he still drank during the week. I tell all my guys do not drink during the week only fridays and saturdays. I feel your pain but you knew you shouldnt have been drinking, you got pinched 1x and your drinking during the week still, at least i sure hope no body was hurt when you got pinched for the dui. You need a miracle to keep your job, and i am a steward and have seen people terminated for this, and not come back.

dirk

they should of sent me a form after 1 year of testing to let me know they were going to continue testing they never did can i fight this:confused:1