Delivering in new york city

klein

Für Meno :)
Okay, so let me see here. Klein, being of infinite knowledge and a world traveler has to compare everything to stuff in the U.S.? Klein, don't try it, you know exactly what you're doing, and you love to do just that. Why you would be posting in this thread, I don't know, but to each his/her own. Just keep the nasty and unneeded America comments to yourself. Don't forget, you're "American" as well.:surprised:

Face it, and get over it !
If I would have just written the Edmonton Mall, would that give you a size ? Or would you think it's just another typical mall ?
There was no nastyness attempt at all.

P

pickup

Stug, please don't make me go to a moderator, I am very vigilant about all these attacks upon our dear Klein. I warned u and the others to give it a rest.:devil3:

Jim Kemp

Was in NYC a year ago and talked to a driver near the Empire state bldg. He said he was making a few stops there and was going out to Queens to help another driver. He also told me that the sups. were telling them the volume was way down and they had to cut out rts. Sound familiar? I saw drivers out at 10 pm.

helenofcalifornia

I missed out when Klein first came on board, but I do think he takes an unfair bashing sometimes. I don't read all his postings as being arrogant, condescending or know it all. Maybe he said something (other then getting fired over beer) offensive, but Klein does say things of value too. Trying to save a couple of dollars on different cruise ideas, etc. I think sometimes people look to bash the boy over anything, which is easy to do if you are looking for something. JMHO

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I've been asked several times to go over the Outerbridge and help out in Staten Island (part of NYC), but I've always refused because of all the horror stories I've heard.

On a route I cover lives a former driver-turned-clerk who used to deliver in the Diamond District of Manhattan (47th between 5 and 6). He actually spoke very highly of driving in Midtown Manhattan. He also spoke very highly of his route, saying how great the customers were and that I'd never believe the kind of tips he received.

I visit Manhattan often with my family, and something I don't think many people on this board realize (only because they maybe haven't been to Manhattan to notice it) is that there's always a back door to these places, and there's more often than not a freight elevator. For example, there is a Best Buy store on 5th Ave, not that far from Times Square. Fifth Avenue is one of the busiest stretches commercial stores in the world. However, the dock for this Best Buy is on East 44th Street, which is relatively quiet. It seems like every other building you see along the numbered avenues has a sign out front that says "all deliveries around rear of building at" with the numbered street name.

Don't forget, time allowances are also adjusted to compensate for traffic/travel conditions.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thanks, but no thanks.

I spent a weekend in NYC back in 1981 as I had a friend who was going to Columbia. We had a great time but I would never want to live there, let alone deliver there.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I missed out when Klein first came on board, but I do think he takes an unfair bashing sometimes. I don't read all his postings as being arrogant, condescending or know it all. Maybe he said something (other then getting fired over beer) offensive, but Klein does say things of value too. Trying to save a couple of dollars on different cruise ideas, etc. I think sometimes people look to bash the boy over anything, which is easy to do if you are looking for something. JMHO
+1
There's a little "gang" that gets their kicks out of bashing him. I certainly don't agree with everything Klein says, but the personal attacks are way over the top. If he bugs you that much then put him on ignore, it's not that hard.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Many of the Package Cars in Manhattan have slots for letters in the back. Saw one converted Package Car that was a portable shipping center. The drivers I saw working there didn't seem to have much of a sense of urgency.

rod

Retired 22 years
When I was there about 10 years ago it seemed to me that the delivery companies leap frogged up the streets. One block would have 2 or 3 UPS trucks on it and the next block would have 2 or 3 Fedex trucks. I found that New Yorkers were friendly and very helpful to tourists. At least the ones in midtown Manhatten were. I couldn't imagine working all day in the Big Apple. Just the constant horn honking and siren noise would drive me up a wall.

rod

Retired 22 years
I've been asked several times to go over the Outerbridge and help out in Staten Island (part of NYC), but I've always refused because of all the horror stories I've heard.

On a route I cover lives a former driver-turned-clerk who used to deliver in the Diamond District of Manhattan (47th between 5 and 6). He actually spoke very highly of driving in Midtown Manhattan. He also spoke very highly of his route, saying how great the customers were and that I'd never believe the kind of tips he received.

I visit Manhattan often with my family, and something I don't think many people on this board realize (only because they maybe haven't been to Manhattan to notice it) is that there's always a back door to these places, and there's more often than not a freight elevator. For example, there is a Best Buy store on 5th Ave, not that far from Times Square. Fifth Avenue is one of the busiest stretches commercial stores in the world. However, the dock for this Best Buy is on East 44th Street, which is relatively quiet. It seems like every other building you see along the numbered avenues has a sign out front that says "all deliveries around rear of building at" with the numbered street name.

Don't forget, time allowances are also adjusted to compensate for traffic/travel conditions.

sure they are:happy2:

bluehdmc

When I was there about 10 years ago it seemed to me that the delivery companies leap frogged up the streets. One block would have 2 or 3 UPS trucks on it and the next block would have 2 or 3 Fedex trucks. I found that New Yorkers were friendly and very helpful to tourists. At least the ones in midtown Manhatten were. I couldn't imagine working all day in the Big Apple. Just the constant horn honking and siren noise would drive me up a wall.

It's a bit quieter today. They must have an ordinance against blowing the horn. I've had feeder runs to the building on Houston St, (Manhattan South) and they have signs on the corner saying something about a fine for using the horn. I usually think about the sign right after I've hit the horn backing up. :-)

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Face it, and get over it !
If I would have just written the Edmonton Mall, would that give you a size ? Or would you think it's just another typical mall ?
There was no nastyness attempt at all.
I guess you explain it this way because you think "us Americans" may be too dense to understand what you may be talking about. Why you feel that way, I will never know.

Read his other postings and you may get a better picture of why.

+1
There's a little "gang" that gets their kicks out of bashing him. I certainly don't agree with everything Klein says, but the personal attacks are way over the top. If he bugs you that much then put him on ignore, it's not that hard.
No kicks gotten here. I'm just calling him on his BS, as I do others. He just happens to post more BS than others.

P

pickup

+1

And I am slowly hunting the members of this gang, one by one. I won't rest until each one of them gets his just rewards.

P

pickup

Many of the Package Cars in Manhattan have slots for letters in the back. Saw one converted Package Car that was a portable shipping center. The drivers I saw working there didn't seem to have much of a sense of urgency.

I have noticed at times that some of these guys seem to lack the sense of urgency. I have also noticed many times that some of the customers end up bringing the packages down to the truck on the street , saving the driver considerable time going to them. Maybe that is how some of them can afford to slow down?

klein

Für Meno :)
Read your own BS, Steve.
If it was so simple just to work and excercise to get rid of diabetes, then they should all give us a training bike instead of insulin !

I'm not 250 lbs either ! I'm less then 150 lbs actually, and 5"11 tall. How much more weight do you want me to burn off ?

Get out there.
I might not do as much as you.... but I tell you, all my vacations, only place you'll find me is either the ocean or the pools.
(yes, in the evenings when the sun goes down, in the bar to socialize).

To get rid of diabetes , if you're totally overweight, yes, that's possible....
But , a skinny minnie, like myself..... no, it's just a pancreas malfunction, that I need to live with.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
And I am slowly hunting the members of this gang, one by one. I won't rest until each one of them gets his just rewards.
Mr. Weisenthal, is that you?

Read your own BS, Steve.
If it was so simple just to work and excercise to get rid of diabetes, then they should all give us a training bike instead of insulin !

I'm not 250 lbs either ! I'm less then 150 lbs actually, and 5"11 tall. How much more weight do you want me to burn off ?

Get out there.
I might not do as much as you.... but I tell you, all my vacations, only place you'll find me is either the ocean or the pools.
(yes, in the evenings when the sun goes down, in the bar to socialize).

To get rid of diabetes , if you're totally overweight, yes, that's possible....
But , a skinny minnie, like myself..... no, it's just a pancreas malfunction, that I need to live with.
I'm no expert on Diabetes Klein, but if there was a way to stay disease free that didn't require injections or medication, such as a healthier lifestyle, I'd be all for that plan. I've never told you to lose weight, have I? I believe I suggested you get healthier by dropping the cigs, booze and getting out there to make yourself healthy. I'm not bashing you whatsoever. I just feel bad that you are sick and seemingly have given into the "fact" that diet and exercise will not make you better/healthier. However, it is your life to do with as you will.

blue efficacy

Mr. Weisenthal, is that you?

I'm no expert on Diabetes Klein, but if there was a way to stay disease free that didn't require injections or medication, such as a healthier lifestyle, I'd be all for that plan. I've never told you to lose weight, have I? I believe I suggested you get healthier by dropping the cigs, booze and getting out there to make yourself healthy. I'm not bashing you whatsoever. I just feel bad that you are sick and seemingly have given into the "fact" that diet and exercise will not make you better/healthier. However, it is your life to do with as you will.
If he has type 1 diabetes, diet and exercise won't do jack for him.

I have that very same disease and am hesitant to tell people for fear of being judged that I have it due to lifestyle choices. Nothing could be further from the truth. After all, I am 6' tall, 160 lbs, not an ounce of fat on me, and I work for UPS. It has been proven exhaustedly that insulin is the only option for people with diabetes 1. If I could change my lifestyle to get rid of my diabetes, I sure would. But how? I already eat healthy, exercise plenty, and don't drink alcohol...

moreluck

golden ticket member
I have Type 2 diabetes....both type 1 and type 2 are not helped by alcohol. I've basically given up sugar as totally as possible to avoid taking insulin. I take 3 kinds of pills for it and I haven't had ice cream in a year....sucks!!