Delivery Appointments

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You would take it that way, wouldn't you? I'm serious. Some names are never known. The street vendor who lit himself on fire.and began the Arab Spring. The nameless Chinese man who stopped a tank in its tracks. You don't get to know where your leadership will lead. It could be far bigger than your goals. And I disagree with R1a in that it is up to SOMEBODY to lead, to be bold . Maybe R1a gets his head pounded and the next day those other boys are emboldened and ashamed of their previous cowardice. Leaders will lead not because there is a straight, open path to their goal, but because their objective is just.

I get mocked all the time, so I think you can see why I would perceive your post the way I did. We actually need a TEAM of leaders who will work together toward constructive change. When I asked who was serious about organizing in a recent post, the response was pathetically small. That confirms for me what R1a has been saying all along, which is that there are few people willing to actually step-up and challenge Smith. Yes, there's lots of talk, but little action. That said, we are actually signing a lot of cards locally, but it just can't be a relative handful of individuals doing all the legwork.

Doc Sorting Dude

Why not drop off all undelivered sig req at the nearest FXO? Seems like a logical idea. Customer gets package at their own convenience without having to go to the station or having crr to come all the way back out. Use the resources you already have.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Sorry if this question was already answered but, everyone and their mother is going to opt for the 5pm to 8pm service, what is the courier supposed to do if half his residential are in this time window? Not to mention his pups and making it back to the station before the plane takes off without the freight in his truck?

I believe that people are overestimating how much the service is going to be used. Few people need it. Of those, only a fraction will be willing to pay for it. It has been suggested that it will cost between $5 and $10, but HD charges $15. It would be surprising if Express charged less than that.

TUT

Why not drop off all undelivered sig req at the nearest FXO? Seems like a logical idea. Customer gets package at their own convenience without having to go to the station or having crr to come all the way back out. Use the resources you already have.

You already have that service Hold at Location for no charge. Enough customers don't want to drive to get the product, sort of the point of a small package carrier. Now something smart and tell me if I'm right... would be your drivers deliver these to the Fedex Office and they go out and deliver them on schedule. Amiright? Now to me that is something that can actually work well.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
A few other points to consider in regard to the costs and revenue...

There will be a certain number of recipients whose paid-for appointment time will contain whatever time the courier would normally deliver the package anyway. The fee for those is almost 100% profit.

A large concern is that breaking off to make an appointment window is going to negate whatever revenue the fee brings in. Yes, in some cases it will. No doubt. What it has is the potential to reduce are multiple delivery attempts, which are pure expense. The savings from the trial run of reducing delivery attempts from 3 to 2 have not been forgotten and are part of this program.

What this accomplishes in many cases is the elimination of additional non-rev labor and replaces it with revenue that wasn't possible prior. There will be those special cases where it will cost more to make the appointment than the fee will cover. They can be offset by the savings from fewer reattempts and from those cases where the expense of making the appointment window are negligible.

People are expecting this to take off like wildfire. It won't. It isn't needed to that extent.

HomeDelivery

it didn't take off that much in HD~land... very few shippers & recipients would want this since it cost extra $$$

some are smart & will have their expensive items routed to their workplace instead of getting a DSR or ASR parcel at their home when no one is there.

i only get one or two of them every few months though

Ricochet1a

I believe that people are overestimating how much the service is going to be used. Few people need it. Of those, only a fraction will be willing to pay for it. It has been suggested that it will cost between $5 and $10, but HD charges $15. It would be surprising if Express charged less than that.

Delivery appointments during the 'day' (window closes at 6 PM - so the latest window here would be 4-6 PM) will cost the recipient $10. Evening appointments with windows between 5 and 8 PM (opening no earlier than 5 PM, closing no later than 8 PM), will only cost $5.

This tells tells the whole story. Express is attempting to shift the delivery of signature required shipments to the evening hours.

The paperwork for the surcharge amounts for the various services have been publicly out for days now.... Convenient Delivery Options (CDO) in both a 5 and expanded 13? page format.

Why don't you know the dollar figures for each service????

Here's what they are...

1) Appointment Delivery (2 hour window between 10 AM and 6 PM) - $10

2) Evening Delivery (5-8 PM) Document doesn't indicate, but it looks like this 'suite' option will have its window being the entire 3 hour time block - $5

Can you say... Dedicated evening delivery routes....

3) Date Certain - Up to 5 days AFTER the original commit date - $5

4) Reroutes...

a) Within station area - $5

b) Within market - $20

c) Outside market - $30

5) Electronic Release - No charge with no change in commit time

Express has already projected $150 million in revenue from this program (no data released on actual cost to implement though). This isn't chump change, even for Express. I already ran the numbers, this will (if Express' wet dream comes true) significantly alter how stations structure their routes and how hours are assigned to Couriers.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't see them meeting projected revenues on this deal. This won't work so well on the West Coast, where the operations window is much narrower due to the long flight times to Memphis. That means having dedicated couriers going back out with the appointment freight or having a special group of part-timers who start in the afternoon who just stay out there and deliver appointment freight and don't do pickups. This doesn't sound cost-effective.

Doc Sorting Dude

You already have that service Hold at Location for no charge. Enough customers don't want to drive to get the product, sort of the point of a small package carrier. Now something smart and tell me if I'm right... would be your drivers deliver these to the Fedex Office and they go out and deliver them on schedule. Amiright? Now to me that is something that can actually work well.

I should have said drop all undelivered resi packages to FXO. My thought was when you Pup FXO (as many of us do as a last pup stop before clearing); we would then drop off all undelivered residential packages. Heck the FXO in my area closes at 2100. This would cut down on re-atts and odds are they will get their package if they knew it was already sitting there in their neighborhood FXO

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I doubt this service is gonna take off because too many people want shipping for free. Only a very few will be willing to pay extra just to get the pkg. at a certain time at their home. Remember, this is only resi. dels.

Heck, when I'm shopping on line, which I do a lot, I want free delivery.

Ricochet1a

Heck the FXO in my area closes at 2100. This would cut down on re-atts and odds are they will get their package if they knew it was already sitting there in their neighborhood FXO

Here's where thinking as just a Courier and NOT a recipient of a package leads to a faulty conclusion....

If I'm getting a high value shipment which I don't want to have left sitting outside my house, I have a few current options as a customer. I can try to have someone home when I expect the package to be delivered, I can get the package redirected to a center such as FXO (assuming it is a FedEx shipment), or I can even have it delivered to my place of employment and have the 'mail room' accept it and get it to me. I'll show why each of these options aren't viable (for most recipients) in reverse order of my listing them.

First, getting personal packages delivered to place of employment is being restricted more and more by employers. This is for two primary reasons: it ties up the efforts of company mail personnel in handling volume which has no value to the company, the employee that would receive a package at the place of employment during the day more often than not will open it and 'play around' with the contents, wasting time which should be spent doing company work and not engaging in personal business or entertainment. This is a real problem in many companies, leading to the prohibition of personnel from receiving personal shipments at company locations.

Many companies have a method for executive personnel to receive shipments (of potential personal use) which may be work related at the place of work -by utilizing an unique address which doesn't go through the normal company mail room. As Couriers, you may have noticed this by having separate delivery locations for volume which appears to you intended for the same company. The volume going to the mail room or 'receiving' is strictly general company use material - it is screened by those in receiving. No tablets or I-gadgets are let through...

Volume being delivered to a receptionist in a different location of the same company is more often than not going to senior personnel. This volume is only screened by name listed on the package (package not opened), and is brought to the senior employees office. If there is a need to have security screening (federal buildings, some higher level corporations), the personnel at the alternate receiving location will be specially trained to screen the packages for any 'bad stuff' which may be enclosed. This has a real cost associated with it, and personal shipments are HIGHLY discouraged from being routed through these situations.

You'd notice this if you are delivering to "ACME Widget Repair", and the large majority of your volume to this company is tendered the receiving area, while a smaller volume has a listing of "Security Office", or "Ste 100 Reception", in the delivery address. The general receiving personnel will refuse to accept packages with this 'code' as part of the address and direct the carrier to take the pieces to the alternate location. This is all part of attempting to eliminate non senior personnel from having shipments delivered to their place of employment.

Second, having the package routed to a FXO location... While this solves many of the problems that may be associated with attempting to have a package delivered to place of employment -it presents the recipient with an additional burden. They have to make arrangements to stop at the FXO location on their way home from work. It may not seem to be much of a burden, but spending another 30-45 minutes fighting traffic at the end of the day when all I want to do is get home is a pain in the butt. Then if the package is of any size or weight, the recipient has to get it into their vehicle, then get it out again and inside after spending that time diverting to FXO at the end of the day. To you as a Courier, this doesn't seem to be a problem, but I can assure you, if I'm receiving something that is bulky or heavy, I'd really want someone to get it to my front door without my helping them - I'd get it the rest of the way in with no complaints.

Lastly, having someone home all day to get a package inside the moment it is delivered isn't an option. If it is something valuable or personal - I don't wanted it going to my neighbors. Then if it were to go to my neighbors - I'd be left trying to catch them when they are at home, to get my package. My neighbor isn't my mailroom, and neither I am his....

This brings up the evening delivery option. Initially (before seeing the price break down), I was highly skeptical about this (from a consumer point of view). I assumed (ahem...) that FedEx would charge one of their outrageous surcharges for this (was thinking $15 for this). When I saw the $5 charge listed - I KNEW this was a game changer and the real implications of the service. Residential recipients are going to 'eat this up' due to the $5 charge. At $15, it would've been a lead balloon to most recipients, at $5 it is a viable option.

If I have an expensive piece of electronics or other high value shipment coming to me, I (me personally), have NO PROBLEM in getting on FedEx's web page, paying $5 with my ccard, then having the package delivered when I KNOW someone will be home (either myself, my wife or my eldest child). This saves me the requirement of spending that extra 30-45 minutes at the end of the day to 'fetch' my package (even not being charged to obtain it at FXO). Paying $5 extra bucks for that level of service isn't an issue for me (and I'm going to presume for most people that utilize an air cargo option for high value personal shipments).

This is why this is going to be a POTENTIAL game changer for the Express Couriers. I do see a not insubstantial amount of residential volume being diverted to this evening delivery option. This isn't going to be like an FO route taking out a handful of pieces and spending maybe 90 minutes on road before getting back to the station. It will (if this pricing level is held), result in quite a few pieces pulled off the regular delivery routes, then placed onto routes which will have a 3 hour window to get off the volume. You can put a fair amount of volume onto a route with this kind of window (THINK ABOUT WHAT HAPPENS ON SATURDAYS). The overwhelming majority of Saturday volume is delivered in a de facto 3 hour window (9 AM to 12 Noon).

I hope you see the implications for this as an Express Courier. This move will require the establishment of additional evening delivery routes (just as Saturday has its 'specialized' delivery routes) which will play HAVOC with traditional Courier scheduling. Express will need to do either one of two things: hire additional part-timer Couriers to run these routes, or have the full-time Couriers which see volume pulled off their 'normal' daytime routes do a significant split shift and then do evening deliveries. I see the later, since Express KNOWS they are losing volume to customers choosing cheaper shipping options on their own, AND the eventual ending of XS service (I'm convinced this is all tied together, they are just unrolling it incrementally). In addition, hiring additional personnel for just this has the cost of benefits associated with it (making it cost ineffective). If current full-timers (who will find themselves with only putting in 6.5-7 hour days resulting from volume being pulled off of their routes to be delivered in the evening) are looking to get minimums, they can be compelled to do that split shift then go out in the evening for a few hours delivering all over again.

Express is putting the screws to its management and (once the buyouts are accomplished) the remaining salaried staff in Memphis. No reason to suspect that the Couriers are going to be left alone in this reorganization of Express.

What in the hell are you waiting for????

SmithBarney

Coming Next week "track your package while it's in the truck" did you miss your delivery, no problem, just track the package, and find your driver!

CJinx

Well, it's a decent idea. If you have an direct sign package coming or whatever, why take a day off from work and wait for it when you can dictate when it arrives for a small fee?

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Well, it's a decent idea. If you have an direct sign package coming or whatever, why take a day off from work and wait for it when you can dictate when it arrives for a small fee?

Answer:
No one should ever order something that is so highly critical to be delivered to their home whenever.

CJinx

Answer:
No one should ever order something that is so highly critical to be delivered to their home whenever.
It's not a matter of how critical the order is; shippers sometimes require signatures on the most asinine of products. Not everyone can have something shipped to their workplace or to a neighbor or whatever, so this service caters to them.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
The fee should be higher especially in outlying areas. Not cost effective considering fuel cost, the couriers wages and a real good possibility of overtime.