Delivery Appointments

whenIgetthere

The fee should be higher especially in outlying areas. Not cost effective considering fuel cost, the couriers wages and a real good possibility of overtime.

With the cost at five bucks as I've heard, a courier only needs to be side tracked from 11 to 20 minutes (depending on pay rate), before fx starts losing money on the deal, and that doesn't even include the cost of fuel etc.

HomeDelivery

so this isn't restricted to team orange; we just got wind of this in my local area... it'll suck since most of the HD drivers are done by 1500-1600

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Weather event, late inbound, local traffic all can derail this service enough to negate the profit margin.

That, and on the Left Coast you are looking at a dedicated "appointment freight" workforce due to the narrowed operations window. Too bad the engineers don't bother talking to the people who actually do the job instead of relying on faulty calculations and assumptions.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
That, and on the Left Coast you are looking at a dedicated "appointment freight" workforce due to the narrowed operations window. Too bad the engineers don't bother talking to the people who actually do the job instead of relying on faulty calculations and ASSumptions.

When this flops the Memphis snobs will still hold the engineers in high esteem while they'll blame us for it's failure.

Not hard to predict at all.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
When this flops the Memphis snobs will still hold the engineers in high esteem while they'll blame us for it's failure.

Not hard to predict at all.

Yes, that would be exactly true. Most of the FedEx engineers I know are utterly worthless, yet Memphis still listens to them.

TUT

so this isn't restricted to team orange; we just got wind of this in my local area... it'll suck since most of the HD drivers are done by 1500-1600

What will be interesting is if your division will honor the appt time since it struggled with it when choosing the Evening service at label creation that has been there for years. We could tell you guys didn't want to do it by customer feedback back to us when we did use it.

HomeDelivery

don't ask me; i'm just a dumb box monkey...

some drivers come in later in the day & will be stuck with the evening deliveries closest to our service areas... i'll ask for double my stop pay if i get one of those & the contractor will either accept it or go deliver the one box himself

either that or they'll give us more stops to be out on the road until at least 1800 so we can loop back to that one evening stop

nevertheless, it's been over 2 years since i seen an evening delivery

TUT

I noticed the Fedex NASCAR last night was promoting this service which I see is called "Fedex Delivery Manager", needless to say the car was beat up seven ways of Saturday and didn't finish the race. lol

Reviewing the services: Customized Delivery When Receiving a Package at Home with FedEx Delivery Manager

I now the delivery time window is a focus here, but there are several other nice options. Vacation Hold up to 14 days is nice as well as some others.

One I find odd is I could change my delivery date (not time) up to seven days, it will cost me $5 doing so. But I could instead just say I am on vacation and I could set my time back the day I want the package, this has no cost. So that's a little funny there. Both options make Fedex a holding warehouse, I do wonder what issues that could cause, since carriers typically don't like to hold packages. I think details maybe missing as I heard Vacation Delay, the package goes to Fedex Office and you pick it up there. This movie does not explain that if true.

El Morado Diablo

One I find odd is I could change my delivery date (not time) up to seven days, it will cost me $5 doing so. But I could instead just say I am on vacation and I could set my time back the day I want the package, this has no cost. So that's a little funny there. Both options make Fedex a holding warehouse, I do wonder what issues that could cause, since carriers typically don't like to hold packages. I think details maybe missing as I heard Vacation Delay, the package goes to Fedex Office and you pick it up there. This movie does not explain that if true.

I think we can only hold a package for 5 business days before it has to be returned to the shipper. CSA's aren't fond of packages that are held because each package is supposed to be scanned every 24 hours whether it's sitting in the station or going out on road. I know I've heard my Sr Mgr use the phrase, "We are not a warehouse" in the past. Especially with COD recipients putting off payment for their packages.

TUT

I think we can only hold a package for 5 business days before it has to be returned to the shipper. CSA's aren't fond of packages that are held because each package is supposed to be scanned every 24 hours whether it's sitting in the station or going out on road. I know I've heard my Sr Mgr use the phrase, "We are not a warehouse" in the past. Especially with COD recipients putting off payment for their packages.

Right, your sales people use the same phrase "We are not a warehouse", but this hold for delivery up to 5 or 7 days... seems to make you a warehouse now.

CJinx

I cannot speak for express stations; but the ground/hd stations can hold a package for up to 10 business days (2 weeks). They don't have to be scanned every day as certain codes on the dock scanner take the package out of service indefinitely. Any packages that are being "warehoused" usually just sit in the QA cage and the clerk will send them out when they are ready.