Delivery Driver Jobs To Disappear by 2030

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
I drive in San Francisco and it is fricken hectic all day everyday. Bicyclists, people walking looking at their phones not paying attention, double parked uber cars everywhere, buses etc etc etc. I find it hard to believe self driving vehicles and/or robots can account for all these variables. Not to mention straight up theft, going door to door in 15 story apartment buildings. There's just no way in 15 years this much advancement can happen flawlessly. I give it at least 60 years.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
It will not happen ever. I've been down dirt roads that are not on a map and can only be found by reading a faded handmade sign nailed to a tree. I'm supposed to believe a robot can deliver that stop?

jaker

trolling
There is a pretty simple answer in regards to getting it to the front door/etc. But it depresses me. so dont want to say it. I'm sure they will figure it out anyways. I dont think we'll lose our jobs but wage decreases prob happen in our lifetime for people under 35. As in, expect this :censored2:ty wage or be laid off. Hopefully not, but probably.
But the way minimum wage is going it will all work out

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
The operating code for any driverless vehicle would have to rely completely on predictable, consistent, and structured operation of any and all other vehicles within close proximity.

Anyone see a problem?

Alexcross774

Spinning my wheels.
I like TED talks, and I am all about technology. But people always get overly hypothetical about new stuff like drones or driver-less cars. More automated sorting, of course. Driver-less ireg trains, sure. Drones, no way. And forget about automated delivery. Regardless of how the drivers feel that ORION is dumbing down their routes, the ability for our drivers to make decisions, adjust to route changes, help other drivers and many more things is what makes them irreplaceable.
My predictions on drones is that you will be flying on drones before you see them used commonly for delivery purposes.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I like TED talks, and I am all about technology. But people always get overly hypothetical about new stuff like drones or driver-less cars. More automated sorting, of course. Driver-less ireg trains, sure. Drones, no way. And forget about automated delivery. Regardless of how the drivers feel that ORION is dumbing down their routes, the ability for our drivers to make decisions, adjust to route changes, help other drivers and many more things is what makes them irreplaceable.
My predictions on drones is that you will be flying on drones before you see them used commonly for delivery purposes.

My son also enjoys TED talks.

Personally I am looking forward to the release of Ted 2 on 6/26.

CharleyHustle

I think the first automated runs would be feeder routes. However, weather, like snow, ice, driving rain, fog, and strong winds would seem to be the most dangerous events to overcome. Especially when coupled with a company's desire to make commit times.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
My son also enjoys TED talks.

image.jpg

Me too.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I skipped the whole article and post after just to say, I'll believe it just like I'll believe that we will have flying cars in 2062 like the Jetsons say we will.

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
Like said before, look at Worldport. All the automation there, it's easy to envision a reduced number of preloaders in the no too distant future.

ManInBrown

I can't believe they can't figure out a way to eliminate Misloads. Would have to think someone is working on it. Maybe some type of laser reader on the back of the car that reads the package no matter where the preloader holds it entering the car. Have to think thats hopefully coming down the pike soon. It's free money running off misloads but on a Friday after a long week it can be annoying