Delivery Driver Jobs To Disappear by 2030

youllbefine

Ok so how does a driverless vehicle going to eliminate our delivery jobs ?? Someone is still going to have to unload that truck because the lazy ass in receiving sure as hell is not going to do it

ups1990

The one area that I do agree with him is with the electric companies. In California the wealthiest upper class- upper middle class are going with solar energy in rapid fashion. I can see where the top paying customers of power companies all switch to solar in the next decade or so and leave them with only a paying middle class and the poor who are currently subsidized by the wealthy and upper middle class.

To me, 3D printing might take a bite off some of our volume. People might be able to design and print out their own shoes, toys....

Deliver personnel will always be in demand but how they go about it will be the interesting part.

The Driver

I drive.
My concern is that self-driving vehicle technology will put downward pressure on our wages. It'll be a longer time before robots will be able to deliver the packages.

Browndriver5

If everyone loved new technology and wanted it used all the time we would not have many different businesses. Like s bank for example why do we have bankers if I can just go use an atm machine?

TUT

Where is robotics taking us? If envisioned to the fullest, truck delivery will be far from the only sector affected. Google still makes me laugh, CEO goes on record that there is a war between man and robots coming (not fantasy based) jobs based, he says "I hope humans win", what does he do? He keeps buying robotics companies to push that envelope forward. Perhaps it is all inevitable, but we seem to adapt and find a way, I guess our complacency inserts fears into us rightly or wrongly. As Dr. Manhattan says "It's too late, it always has been too late".

rod

Retired 22 years
If everyone loved new technology and wanted it used all the time we would not have many different businesses. Like s bank for example why do we have bankers if I can just go use an atm machine?

Have you ever tried dumping 500 dollars worth of change into a cash machine to get it converted to the green stuff?

TUT

Have you ever tried dumping 500 dollars worth of change into a cash machine to get it converted to the green stuff?

Maybe not $500 dollars but I have used:

coinstar.jpg

clean hairy

A Robot is going to be able to collect a COD how?
It will be able to dig through a bricked out truck to find a box how?
It will be able to take an Excersize Machine up 3 flights of stairs how?
Will it have superhuman strength where it can move boxes heavier than what a Human can carry now?
How will Management discipline the Robot for going over the planned day on hours and miles?
The Robot and Orion will become best of friends?

rod

Retired 22 years
Once a year I take my bucket full of change to the bank-set it on the counter and watch the little teller girl mumble to herself "oh :censored2:- that looks heavy". Sometimes it takes two of them to dump it in the coin counter and it usually totals up to 350 to 450 bucks. I do it every year right before I go on my 11 day racing trip. My wife hates change so I get all hers too.

TUT

A Robot is going to be able to collect a COD how?
It will be able to dig through a bricked out truck to find a box how?
It will be able to take an Excersize Machine up 3 flights of stairs how?
Will it have superhuman strength where it can move boxes heavier than what a Human can carry now?
How will Management discipline the Robot for going over the planned day on hours and miles?
The Robot and Orion will become best of friends?

1. Perhaps COD's wont be possible. UPS decides we can pay no drivers if we get rid of COD or keep paying drivers who has customers still using a 70's service. The service should be abandoned, robots or not.

2. I'd imagine the cargo space and box placement would be different as well.

3. Customers will adopt different behaviors to what the industry offers.

Just putting down some possible scenarios. Yeah lots of obstacles, but perhaps it will be a different future.