Denver 'LOSES' trailers

25yrvet

The 27th was a hellasous day here in the rocky mtn division. Just heard the rumor that Commerce City has full trailerS that have NOT moved since the 21st !!! Looking for the 28th to be just as crazy. Denver is looking for an additional foot+ of snow by Friday nite with WIND. Another rumor is that we will probably be working the 30th.:sad:

SmithBarney

Yup our "forecasts" from denver are a mystery every day, they have no idea whats coming out of Denver, so we just wait and see..

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
nope! I'm an ol foggie visiting Texas for a week or two

Folks not based Denver...WHAT IN HEAVEN'S NAME ARE YOU THINKING???? If you're IN a city that GET'S snow, surely you know what it does to your operation. As to working Saturday...when I jokingly mentioned it to my driver, he vehemently shook his head and said, "Ohhh, no, not no way, not know how! I'm NOT working Saturday!!" What the hell is this about LOSING trailers??? How do you LOSE 48 or 52 feet long trailerS?? And trailers that haven't moved SINCE the 21st?? OMG!!

Denver's just a wreck in terms of package transit. If you're IN Denver or have packages inbound Denver don't expect them anytime soon. I think we're still delivering AIRS from Thursday or Friday of last week.

I called the center on-route, asking about uniform turn-in on Friday and the woman said, "Ummm..I don't know if we're still doing that or not. I'll probably know something tomorrow." Fredly, 25, any rumors about keeping helpers on ANOTHER week??? :w00t: Rocky.

trickpony1

Losing trailers?
Whatever happened to sending a PT supe out to do a "yard check" (you know, where they take a printout of what's in the yard and look in EVERY trailer) and note any discrepencies.
If the system wouldn't handle the huge influx and stagnation of volume I could understand but to lose trailers?
Way to go!!
Where's Tieguy and hoser when we need them?

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Losing trailers?
Whatever happened to sending a PT supe out to do a "yard check" (you know, where they take a printout of what's in the yard and look in EVERY trailer) and note any discrepencies.
If the system wouldn't handle the huge influx and stagnation of volume I could understand but to lose trailers?
Way to go!!
Where's Tieguy and hoser when we need them?

Trick, before I was hired as a helper I was considering an inside position. I've seen the yard at Commerce. Its big but not big enough to handle a day and a half or two day Peak Season shutdown. My guess is these trailers are inbound via semi or the rail. They're probably sitting somewhere off property.

The Denver system can't handle the influx of volume. The package car operation has got biiiig cracks showing imho. As a former inside employee for two Peaks and countless belt breakages I don't wanna even THINK how the inside of the building is running. Frustration and tempers have got to be high.

Final note: My driver didn't leave the building til 9:30 yesterday. He was one peeved driver. He left about 8:30 today. Give it a few hours til the snow starts slamming Denver.

browniehound

Hey- quit hogging all the snow! Send some of it toward Minnesota.

Denver, you can keep your snow. I saw today on the news this is an all-time record for Diluth, MN for not having snow on the ground. As far as I'm concerned, keep the snow as far west of MA as possible. Is it becoming obvious to the doubters that global warming IS becoming a reality. If a concequence of it wasn't that I might starve to death, I'd welcome it.:crying:

aspenleaf

We (preloaders) were told today that we will be working this Saturday. When I asked my drivers about working Saturday they said it depends on how tomorrow goes. However we were also told that since we as a whole hub still have over 200 trailers to work and we have air still back east waiting to come out that we won't be caught up for a while.

Happy New Year!

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Today was what 25yrvet called an hellaseous day yesterday. At first, it wasn't sooo bad. We were bouncing around a lot in our cube but we were holding it together. Then...the snow REALLY hit. People started leaving work early and traffic backed up. Not pretty. Then, when I was delivering one house, my driver made a left turn to deliver the house literally around the corner, hit the ridge and slid into the gutter 2-3 feet below. I HEARD the clutch/transmission/whatever the hell it was groan on impact and I was a good 30 yards away through falling snow. I made for the car to check on the driver (he was fine, just hopping mad) but it wasn't going anywhere. A resident came home after the driver made an SOS call for a wrecker. Gentleman pulled this P-1000 package car out of its position. God-bless Detroit diesels (Chevy crew-cab p/u)!!!

Denver, you can keep your snow. I saw today on the news this is an all-time record for Diluth, MN for not having snow on the ground. As far as I'm concerned, keep the snow as far west of MA as possible. Is it becoming obvious to the doubters that global warming IS becoming a reality. If a concequence of it wasn't that I might starve to death, I'd welcome it.:crying:

WE DONT WANT OUR SNOW!!!! You can HAVE the stuff coming down now!!!!

We (preloaders) were told today that we will be working this Saturday. When I asked my drivers about working Saturday they said it depends on how tomorrow goes. However we were also told that since we as a whole hub still have over 200 trailers to work and we have air still back east waiting to come out that we won't be caught up for a while.

Happy New Year!

My driver said he wasn't working Saturday but with the current snowfall, its very possible he will be if they close us down tomorrow. Driver helpers ARE being worked next week as well. That's direct from a center manager around 1:00 today and repeated by an OMS clerk about a half hour ago. 200 trailers behind...I can believe that. We've been getting all of our stuff off (thank GOD!). A lotta other drivers haven't been so lucky. See my other posts for a story or two.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I agree. You would think the company would be importing supervisors from around the country (I think it's called "special assignment") to help out.

OOPS! that was back when the company cared about service.
Stupid me.

They very well may be importing help. However, the package car operation is still running pretty much on a Peak Season system. My understanding of that in general is EVERYTHING running at 100% capacity. As such, my understanding is we don't have the ROOM to be working MORE cars. Its always possible, I suppose but I dono HOW they'd do it. Drivers are working 12 hour days and helpers are working 7-10 hour days. We're doing the best we can but these snows just don't give us the chance to get caught up. The side-roads are the real problem, though. Where you could once do 30, you're now limited to 15-20, if that. Rocky

brown67

Just got home, already several inches of snow on the ground. Can't see working tomorrow. Up to a foot of new snow by tomorrow morning and then another 10 to 20 inches coming in tomorrow afternoon into Saturday. Did 180 stops today. We are still running peak plan and union agreed to let seasonals stay on one more week. Just can't keep up with it and now we will be getting behind again. Luckily I'm on vacation next week.:cool:

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Just got home, already several inches of snow on the ground. Can't see working tomorrow. Up to a foot of new snow by tomorrow morning and then another 10 to 20 inches coming in tomorrow afternoon into Saturday. Did 180 stops today. We are still running peak plan and union agreed to let seasonals stay on one more week. Just can't keep up with it and now we will be getting behind again. Luckily I'm on vacation next week.:cool:

I'm guessing after next week the union starts getting testy about keeping seasonals on as seasonals? If they do, and UPS decides to cut all of us, I dono how they're gonna get caught up in an even semi-timely fashion. I'm a seasonal and I'm gonna have a hard time talking my regular employer into maintaining the kinda schedule we have been in addition to school starting. Ahhh, well...Rocky.

DS

Fenderbender
I agree. You would think the company would be importing supervisors from around the country .
Supervisors? hell, they need drivers,get 100 drivers from new york michigan wisconsin illinois to come down and do 500 stops each
in a week.They are used to working in the snow and that would
clear up 50,000 stops.