DHL Out on Dec 10th?

hangin455

I passed By an Office Depot yesterday. They posted on the drop box that today (Nov 21) would be the last day that the box would be picked up. Wonder if there's any effort being made to place our boxes in the Office Depot stores?

JustTired

free at last.......
I passed By an Office Depot yesterday. They posted on the drop box that today (Nov 21) would be the last day that the box would be picked up. Wonder if there's any effort being made to place our boxes in the Office Depot stores?

I'm sure it's being thought about....but I doubt there's any "effort being made".

You can lead an AE to a sale....but you can't make him follow-up on it.:wink2:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

Where I am, Office Depot ships with UPS and Office Max uses DHL. I shop at Office Depot because of this. So drivers with an Office Max should get an easy sales lead there.

LiL"Comet"

I seen this too posted this weekend at Office Depot sign saying that there letter box will no longer be serviced after 11/21/08 sorry for the inconvenience. :anxious: I love the idea of coarse for us to get the business but at the same time I hate it for those who will lose there jobs.:sad-little:

I did send an email to a couple people about seeing the sign there to try find out what location to contact to try to get in the door. :thumbup1:

brownIEman

Heres an idea, while we are delivering and picking up from our current customers and doing everthing within our powers to keep them, you should get out of the office and find that dhl work and stop riding the drivers coat tails for your paycheck!!!!

not to worry red. In my district ALL management folks are pounding the streets looking for DHL conversions... In one building I was in this week, the management team has turned in more leads than the 80 drivers in one of the centers. I am mostly a door to door salesman these days. Leads are also on our yearly performance evaluations, we have a minimum number of producing leads we must hit each year or we get zippo for that element.

I have heard second hand that we are beating them to initial contact with most of the former DHL customers. Hopefully, most of the former DHL work will come to us, I would assume you would prefer that to it going to a non union shop like FedEx?

705red

Browncafe Steward
not to worry red. In my district ALL management folks are pounding the streets looking for DHL conversions... In one building I was in this week, the management team has turned in more leads than the 80 drivers in one of the centers. I am mostly a door to door salesman these days. Leads are also on our yearly performance evaluations, we have a minimum number of producing leads we must hit each year or we get zippo for that element.

I'm pretty sure those 80 drivers are presently a little busy delivering and picking up packages at this time. And if you are speaking on my 80 driver center, stop by and say high to me. Also i have found myself turning in 4 sales leads this week, more leads would get turned in if alot of our drivers were not burned in the past on producing leads! The dhl drivers here are giving us their pick up info because they want to see the packages stay with a union carrier. Kudos to them!

I have heard second hand that we are beating them to initial contact with most of the former DHL customers. Hopefully, most of the former DHL work will come to us, I would assume you would prefer that to it going to a non union shop like FedEx?

Absolutely i would like to see that work come here rather than fedex. I also would like to see bd reps treat drivers with respect and not try to slam one when he makes a post. Tiegirl took a dig at upstate, and im not a big fan of the guy, but hes a driver and i will take shots at management people in defense of any of my brothers and sisters on here.

I also have a problem with ups hiring on dhl sales force people when we have employees on lay off that were here before these guys. This is not a time to hire more management, this is a time to get all the hourlies out there. And after peak we will see more layoffs of employees that have bleed brown for years and these new sales reps will be drawing a check?

Thats not how you treat someone you have hired and call an employee!

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
"...I also have a problem with ups hiring on dhl sales force people when we have employees on lay off that were here before these guys. This is not a time to hire more management, this is a time to get all the hourlies out there..."

See, now, we can't do that. Too much common sense.

brownIEman

I'm pretty sure those 80 drivers are presently a little busy delivering and picking up packages at this time. And if you are speaking on my 80 driver center, stop by and say high to me. Also i have found myself turning in 4 sales leads this week, more leads would get turned in if alot of our drivers were not burned in the past on producing leads! The dhl drivers here are giving us their pick up info because they want to see the packages stay with a union carrier. Kudos to them!

Of course they are busy delivering and picking up (although not as busy as they should be this time of year, we still have drivers laid off) and they are also getting sales leads that are netting them gift cards and helping to bring the laid off drivers back to work. I never at any time meant to disparage their efforts. This was not a dig at the drivers in any way, I used the example to show that here management are out working to get those DHL packages and not just sitting in offices "riding drivers coat tails to a pay check" as you put it.

Sales leads often lead to more volume, which leads to more teamsters working. When they do, they should also lead to the first person putting the lead in getting card balance rewards. I would suggest the you advise your brothers not to let themselves be burned on leads any more than you would let them be burned by shorted time cards or sups working. Takes less than a minute to get onto UPSERS clicking the Company tab, Growth, View Sales Leads - You can see if a lead was actually opened in the system and what its status is.

Absolutely i would like to see that work come here rather than fedex. I also would like to see bd reps treat drivers with respect and not try to slam one when he makes a post. Tiegirl took a dig at upstate, and im not a big fan of the guy, but hes a driver and i will take shots at management people in defense of any of my brothers and sisters on here.

I am not sure she really was taking a dig at upstate. If she was, I would consider her out of line. Encouraging a driver to keep picking up packages would by itself be no more a dig than telling an AE to keep selling accounts. If tiegirl and upstate have a history on this board I am not aware of it, so, I may be missing something. So I would be curious if upstate saw tiegirl's post as a dig. If so, I agree with you on this. If not, I would have to ask you to consider whether you were just overly eager to defend a brother driver, or just really anxious for any chance to "take a shot" at a member of management.

I also have a problem with ups hiring on dhl sales force people when we have employees on lay off that were here before these guys. This is not a time to hire more management, this is a time to get all the hourlies out there. And after peak we will see more layoffs of employees that have bleed brown for years and these new sales reps will be drawing a check?

Thats not how you treat someone you have hired and call an employee!

I was not aware we were hiring many DHL sales people, but I can see the logic in it. They know the customers, accounts, and hopefully can bring much of that volume. As much as you or I may not like it, the fact of the matter is there is a correlation between the size of a sales force and the number of accounts sold. Obviously there is a point of diminishing returns, so one needs to be smart about it. The idea is to get the sales people working first, have them bring in the volume, then get the hourlies out there moving the volume. Setting up the people and infrastructure first and then trying to get the volume into the system next is sorta the business model DHL used to begin with. Did not really work out for them.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Brown, that is good to hear. Wish more would actually ride with the drivers, having two walk into a business makes more of a statement. Does anyone know the projected percentage of dhl customers that are comming to ups? Something else,some of these customers are probably going to wait until the last possible second to switch over.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You are not serious are you? But if you are I can explain it to you. In the mean time just keep picking up those packages!!

If you had taken the time to read the thread you would have seen that I was replying to post #5 in which someone had posted for sale online 30 prepaid DHL overnight letters to anywhere in the 48 states for $200. I was simply doing the math.

May I suggest that you take a moment and think before you post.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Of course they are busy delivering and picking up (although not as busy as they should be this time of year, we still have drivers laid off) and they are also getting sales leads that are netting them gift cards and helping to bring the laid off drivers back to work. I never at any time meant to disparage their efforts. This was not a dig at the drivers in any way, I used the example to show that here management are out working to get those DHL packages and not just sitting in offices "riding drivers coat tails to a pay check" as you put it.

Your post was not a dig at the drivers, but i took tiegirls post as a dig and i responded as such.

Sales leads often lead to more volume, which leads to more teamsters working. When they do, they should also lead to the first person putting the lead in getting card balance rewards. I would suggest the you advise your brothers not to let themselves be burned on leads any more than you would let them be burned by shorted time cards or sups working. Takes less than a minute to get onto UPSERS clicking the Company tab, Growth, View Sales Leads - You can see if a lead was actually opened in the system and what its status is.

Absolutely i agree to a point on who should get the lead. I have one driver that has been working two customers for a year to switch all of their business over and when he did he was denied. Why? because someone in Wyoming turned in this lead for a customer in deer field. Even the customer has called and said that they switched because of my driver friend. He is thinking about filing the grievance, however he has never filed one and is a little hesitant and i believe that this is what ups is counting on.

I am not sure she really was taking a dig at upstate. If she was, I would consider her out of line. Encouraging a driver to keep picking up packages would by itself be no more a dig than telling an AE to keep selling accounts. If tiegirl and upstate have a history on this board I am not aware of it, so, I may be missing something. So I would be curious if upstate saw tiegirl's post as a dig. If so, I agree with you on this. If not, I would have to ask you to consider whether you were just overly eager to defend a brother driver, or just really anxious for any chance to "take a shot" at a member of management.

I take shots at everyone if they deserve it, hurly, management and even teamster brothers. And i will stick up for my brothers even while they might not. I took it her several posts as digs.

See unlike the drivers who get paid by the hour our sales force is salaried and works off of commision, and without the drivers assisting in growing the business they would have no commision.

I was not aware we were hiring many DHL sales people, but I can see the logic in it. They know the customers, accounts, and hopefully can bring much of that volume. As much as you or I may not like it, the fact of the matter is there is a correlation between the size of a sales force and the number of accounts sold. Obviously there is a point of diminishing returns, so one needs to be smart about it. The idea is to get the sales people working first, have them bring in the volume, then get the hourlies out there moving the volume. Setting up the people and infrastructure first and then trying to get the volume into the system next is sorta the business model DHL used to begin with. Did not really work out for them.
My 6 year old could have been a sales rep at dhl and done a great job! Dhl's selling point was price and if you cant walk in and switch an account over by under cutting us by 50% than you have no busiess in sales. Dhl didnt hire rocket scientists to sell their product!

In times of tough economy as we are in you should take care of the people that have been here, inteads of laying off 5 and 10 year employees and have them split shifting to get their 8 hours and in many cases at lower wages. So in short years of dedicated service means dick to this company while your hiring off the street sales reps!

Mike Hawk

My 6 year old could have been a sales rep at dhl and done a great job! Dhl's selling point was price and if you cant walk in and switch an account over by under cutting us by 50% than you have no busiess in sales. Dhl didnt hire rocket scientists to sell their product!
You must admit, he has a valid point.