"Our Mission is to Help Small and mid-size Companies"

SafetyFirst

Last 2 sales leads I got were from shippers asking me about shipping with UPS, I passed their information along and neither was ever contacted by UPS. One ships with FedEx now, the other one I don't know about.

And when I say last 2 leads I really mean the only 2 I've ever done. UPS is 0-2 on even contacting them.

Overpaid Union Thug

UPS CEO David Abney - "Our mission is to help small and mid-size companies compete with the large retailers and e-tailers. It's much bigger than one company, and we are leaning in and it's working."

UPS CEO talks about holiday shipping, drones, Amazon threat

The above article appears on Cheryl's news feed and caught my interest as I continue to watch UPS lose customers to FedEx. I recently spoke with one of our long time drivers that informed me that he just lost an 800 piece per day pickup to FedEx. The shipper informed our UPS driver that although he likes this particlular UPS driver much better than the FedEx driver, he was disgruntled with the lack of customer service UPS was providing him for his shipping needs. Calls to UPS customer service were not returned, etc. while FedEx customer service was very cordial and attentive to the shippers needs in a variety of ways.

Ever since we (UPS) have had a reduction in local customer service representatives, we have lost many accounts to FedEx. These cost cutting moves only serve to overwork existing customer service reps that are not from our area (national account reps, etc.) and whom eventually develop an apathetic attitude about retaining business.... much less attempting to acquire new business accounts. We truly are a company that is "penny wise and pound foolish" in many ways. Many times Corporate UPS is simply out of touch with smaller feeder centers. Mr. Abney's mission statement from above is simply hypocritical IMHO based on what I see and hear. Also, our weak position in international growth (reference article) is also a direct result of poor customer service issues IMHO.

Drivers can only do so much to sell our services. Why should a driver sell a service through sales leads that we cannot "deliver" on or is not backed up by an excellent customer service experience? Mr. Abney, please bring back a strong customer service experience to our business as the only thing we have to sell is service. If you're not able to compete cost wise with our competitors , the very least you can do is provide a better service experience at the higher cost we do charge.
I haven’t submitted a sales lead in over 10 years and don’t plan on it unless things improve. It was embarrassing talking up UPS to potential customers only to have our sales rep lie and say he/she attempted to contact the customer. I don’t think things will improve though. The focus right now is safety vests and stock price.

KoennenTiger

I still occasionally turn in a sales lead. I mean I've done it within the last year. I wonder why I did, as does my wife. They ship quite a bit, and I give them my normal service, which is 150% above the rest of the guys around me. I make sure they are happy.

But I've passed over so many. I ignore so many. Why bother? My local low level sales guy was one of my old part timers. I know all the higher level sales. They're :censored2:.

A few years back I went hard on an account that exploded and is now moving just under a thousand a day. With usps. The sales guy never called. He lied to them. I tried to clean it up I see them every single day, I know all of them, I know their kids, I know their families, I know their stories. I almost ruined my own personal reputation with people I know by recommending this company!!!

But I have zero time to even stop and talk anymore. I'm just tired of being told how much over allowed I am because I have to use my hand cart as I'm delivering industry not amazon. And I have no more drive. Do I want another pickup to go over 9.5 again and never see my own family again until they get tired of my action and give a little of the work I create for ups to the driver next to me? Who will then complain to me every day? So that my wife can order a UPS purse from the ups catalogue?

Yeah this is my career and yeah I kinda sorta at least used to want ups to succeed. But what does that mean? I get more work and less time to do that work? I, ME, talk a customer into what I do, the service I bring, and it explodes into a huge customer, and now I get to hand my wife the :censored2:ty garbage ups branded product book and tell her she can order a bunch of worthless garbage products with the points I get for being amazing?

We never even used them. Get my kids even more little "$50" mini ups trucks? A shirt that says ups and ups tells me that's fifty bucks? Thank you koennen tiger for all your hard work, for making and keeping that customer so happy, for building a personal relationship with them, now we will ignore their calls, and ignore their needs and wants, and depend on your to fulfill them, and now you will see your own kids even less.

But they will have a "$50" little wind up ups truck to play with while you're doing that pickup.

InsideUPS

yes, and that driver was happy when it was gone

Just to clarify about this pick-up considering the speculation about whether it was a TDP or package car pick up. This pickup involved relatively smaller lighter packages ( many 12" x 12" x 12" - approx) and is a seasonal business with corresponding seasonal fluctuations in volume. This pick-up sells those yard inflatables on the internet and ships them both domestically and internationally. No doubt that these types of businesses offer challenges throughout the year for scheduling pick-ups. This pick-up surprisingly does maintain a decent volume throughout the year however holidays is when their volume significantly spikes.

FWIW, this is not the only account that I am familiar with that we lost to FedEx because of customer service issues. Some were substantial international accounts that resulted in the loss of an ODC international auditing position.

WTFm8

FWIW, this is not the only account that I am familiar with that we lost to FedEx because of customer service issues. Some were substantial international accounts that resulted in the loss of an ODC international auditing position.

I know of 2 accounts my building lost majority of pickups to. One is a truck parts company and our volume is 10-20% of what it use to be (6-10 skids to now a route picks up in a package car) and the other is a dance/swim wear company and that has drastically reduced to 10-20% of what it use to be (partial trailer then route would pick up rest).

Dance/Swim place frequently has skids of packages for FedEx.

InsideUPS

Yeah this is my career and yeah I kinda sorta at least used to want ups to succeed. But what does that mean? I get more work and less time to do that work? I, ME, talk a customer into what I do, the service I bring, and it explodes into a huge customer, and now I get to hand my wife the :censored2:ty garbage ups branded product book and tell her she can order a bunch of worthless garbage products with the points I get for being amazing?

We never even used them. Get my kids even more little "$50" mini ups trucks? A shirt that says ups and ups tells me that's fifty bucks? Thank you koennen tiger for all your hard work, for making and keeping that customer so happy, for building a personal relationship with them, now we will ignore their calls, and ignore their needs and wants, and depend on your to fulfill them, and now you will see your own kids even less.

But they will have a "$50" little wind up ups truck to play with while you're doing that pickup.

Very sad story but so true as with many other drivers like yourself around the country! Very difficult for dedicated employees that both want their company to thrive but also want to have a family and personal life. You can always replace money but you cannot replace time.

In the meantime...until our Corporate leaders learn from their mistakes (if ever considering their relatively deep pockets)...and start treating employees like humans instead of numbers........... take care of yourself and your family. Live by the motto.... "The longer the race.....the slower the pace"... Take advantage of 9.5 language....all days off.... use your sick days to the max (2 days in a row = 1 occurrence), etc..

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Just to clarify about this pick-up considering the speculation about whether it was a TDP or package car pick up. This pickup involved relatively smaller lighter packages ( many 12" x 12" x 12" - approx) and is a seasonal business with corresponding seasonal fluctuations in volume. This pick-up sells those yard inflatables on the internet and ships them both domestically and internationally. No doubt that these types of businesses offer challenges throughout the year for scheduling pick-ups. This pick-up surprisingly does maintain a decent volume throughout the year however holidays is when their volume significantly spikes.

These companies switch accounts back and forth. Been at ups 18 years and one day we lose a business and six to a year it is back. They always come back at some point and leave

Superteeth2478

Birds have very good brains .
Bird-brained is a compliment (having brains like the right birds, that is). The corvid family of birds possess intelligence that far surpasses that of the vast majority of mammals (including peoples' precious dogs that they insist are SO smart). In fact their brain-to-bodyweight ratio is very similar to that of cetaceans (dolphins and the like) and the great apes, and is only slightly lower than that of humans. Brain-to-bodyweight ratio is a good predictor of intelligence, and crows demonstrate the equivalent intelligence of a 7 year-old human.

Indecisi0n

Bird-brained is a compliment (having brains like the right birds, that is). The corvid family of birds possess intelligence that far surpasses that of the vast majority of mammals (including peoples' precious dogs that they insist are SO smart). In fact their brain-to-bodyweight ratio is very similar to that of cetaceans (dolphins and the like) and the great apes, and is only slightly lower than that of humans. Brain-to-bodyweight ratio is a good predictor of intelligence, and crows demonstrate the equivalent intelligence of a 7 year-old human.
I just want to fly around and poop on people's freshly washed cars .

InsideUPS

Did expect to see this information on BC! Amateur ornithologist, biology background.....Google? I also think crows are interesting birds. Saw a pair one day last winter in the carcass cavity of a roadside deer eating away.

And of course........who here is old enough to remember "Heckle and Jeckle"? ;-)

Incredible, Crows as Smart as Chimps!

crows-chimps.jpg

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
If you're attracted to crows, does that make you a pedofile?
Only if you have fowl intentions.

We just got back a $300,000.00 a year pick up account that the competition took from us for a year.

Their customer service was very interactive and accessible to them but their service was not what they promised; NDA pkgs sat in their hub for multiple days, damages, and consistent inaccuracies in their billing (not to mention their system was harder to use) brought them back to ups.

Their UPS Account Executive is very good and it was a great combination of that, our superior service, and their relationship with the bid driver that finally overcame the cheaper price and substandard service.

There are multiple factors in retaining customers.