DIAD 5

InTheRed

I think they should add a dupe key (which is just a software upgrade) for unscannable packages. You know what I mean, you get like 5 packages to a delivery stop and the labels are unscannable... Instead of keying in all the numbers, key in the first tracking number, then hit dupe, and key in the last 8 digits.

U

upsheldon

A pal label scraper for when the dip****s put the pal over the z labels! Misting system/ice pack for us in AZ! Out to lunch button!

D

Deeohem

copule thoughts on new features. First, I'll admit that I'm not a driver, I'm a TSG tech. I've had to help centers deploy the DIAD IV but I don't have the actual use to talk about the shift key, or the clip etc. but I do have ideas. I've thought the swipe slot for credit cards for COD has been a good idea since the DIAD III came out. It's easier and quicker for me to hand someone my card to swipe than it would be to write a check. Another thing, which I'm doubtful would happen would be a printer. The infonotice is kind of bland and uninformative. I think it could be possible to put in a small thermal label that could feed a sheet and print out the info notice information. date, time, address of the package center, reason it couldn't be left, etc and go. The info is in the DIAD already, let the DIAD fill out the infonotice rather than the driver.

Deeohem

The slot to swipe a credit card is a good idea. It's a heck of a lot quicker to swipe than to write a check. Another thought, what about a small thermal printer for the infonotice? It could print out much of the info that right now has to be written by hand, ie time, attempt number, reason for not releasing, etc.

Just Lurking

Deeohem said:
The slot to swipe a credit card is a good idea. It's a heck of a lot quicker to swipe than to write a check. Another thought, what about a small thermal printer for the infonotice? It could print out much of the info that right now has to be written by hand, ie time, attempt number, reason for not releasing, etc.

Why noy have the shipper accept the credit card than we would have to deal with a COD. Plus, if you think our COD fees are outrageous you should see the transaction fee and percentage cost of the amount. The cost is the main reason that most government agencies have a surcharge on credit cards.

The printer would be a hell of an idea.

keith lestrange

we use diad 5 in ireland,but its ****.
we dont have gps,theres less buttons so you have to push the abc key for letters and push again for numbers,sometimes the address is all numbers prefer diad 4

teamsterdan

5 a, is what I believe the new diad's are called here; they include shock collars for the pre-loader's and cattle prods for the on car's.........how difficult is it to get hired on full-time preload off the street???? info on the starting wage would also be of interest....any "special rules" where one could (in theory) "transfer" there????

wily_old_vet

we use diad 5 in ireland,but its ****.
we dont have gps,theres less buttons so you have to push the abc key for letters and push again for numbers,sometimes the address is all numbers prefer diad 4

Keith-Very interesting that you have a version of the DIAD that isn't even made yet. Didn't know Ireland was that far ahead of us.

hoser

Industrial Slob
Ok everybody,

By now most of the Package Drivers in the country are probably using DIAD 4. I'm sure by now, UPS is probably designing the next version, DIAD 5. As the people who actually will use this thing, what improvements (besides getting rid of the Shift Key?:hammer: ) would you like to see?
Diad IV isn't going to be fully implemented until the end of 2007 and you're thinking Diad V? Man you have it good where you are :D

A

Anonymous Cow

what were they thinking when they put the signature botton right where every one grabs it and turns the screen around!!!!grrrrrrrr!!!!!

satellitedriver

I would like a sonic dog deterent. People around here think it is cool to have pit bulls. I didn't think it was cool when a box head pit dove into my truck and I had to dive out the driverside door. Not to mention, trying to walk up to the house with your hands full of packages.

mpeedy

Wireless wrist scanner with keys on it to driver release packages. The scanner would also work well at bulk del stops.

Miss Victoria

How about a button to unlock the back doors...and with that how about another one for the bay doors to the centre.

A stun gun or shocker for those lovely customers who like to get up close and personal when you ask them for money.

A built in flashlight that can seek house numbers out...without making you look like a burglar or police.

Picture in picture...a little box for pickups or centre messages so you don't get thrown out of a delivery in progress just to read a message from the sup.

loserupser

Two minute Therapist
I like to see a shock/stun feature, so when customer tries to sign upside down, flip the board or press the sig button they get a surprise!!!!!

SmithBarney

I've only has 2 people in the last 2 months push the sig key by accident
and thats on 6 different routes.

The Clip sucks, stick to the pouch, I tried using the clip, but
it is a waste of time trying to line it up every time... then it
won't come off when needed.

The Stylus location is rediculous, although I've trained most
customers where it is, and to put it back when done.(hate covering routes
where the driver hands people the stylus...)

Most of our drivers have put large 2 inch key rings on the stylus so they
are more easily removable by customers.(and visable)

The fact that the screen stays lit all day whenever its on, wastes the battery.
If there was either a solar sensor(simple solution) or programmed into
the board to recognize what time it was to turn on the light(a little more difficult)
would save battery life. A 9 hour day just about kills the battery...
can't wait till we get a 11-12 PEAK day..

browniehound

Fredly, I have trained all of my customers where the stylus is. If I come across a new customer I just pull the stylus out about half way and tell them where it is. I cover other routes now and then and it really drives me nuts to do the routes where the driver takes the stylus out for the customer. And you figure out after a few stops who does and who doesn't. Then, there are still those freaking IDIOTS that sign EVERY friend-ing day that still can't locate the stylus :confused:1:confused:1 :confused:1 :confused:1 :confused:1 :confused:1 Hello????? . I thought the location of the stylus was going to be the #1 worst thing about DIAD 4. I have to say, I'm suprised its not. People seem to know where it is more than they did on diad 3 when it was steering them right in the face. The honor of worst feature has to go to the shift key. For the love of God please get rid of this for DIAD 5!!!!!!!

DS

Fenderbender
Great thread. I'll share your suggestions with the DIAD team.
I hope you are still following this thread "IS Geek"
the big things are
the location of the stylus,upside down look,
the picture in picture idea would be a great time saver,
the shift key.
I`m still on 3 ,and we`ll probobly get all your used
4`s when you all get 5`s.