DIAD 6 SUCKS! EDIT A COMPLETED STOP???

Ghost in the Darkness

Its not hard to adapt to but the crashing, lagging/freezing, missing options, stupid confirmation statements, giant ass touch screen that is so easy to accidently swipe in a barcode without realizing it are just a few things that make diad6 a p-o-s. I would compare it to using a poorly working graphing calculator to do simple math problems. Simple is quicker, something that works concistently is quicker.
I come to work to do a job, I give an honest effort and expect stuff to work correctly. Diad6 is like orion having you walk across the road to deliver a number of stops only to turn around and drive back the other way so you can walk across the road to deliver all the stops you just drove past.

Overpaid Union Thug

Its not hard to adapt to but the crashing, lagging/freezing, missing options, stupid confirmation statements, giant ass touch screen that is so easy to accidently swipe in a barcode without realizing it are just a few things that make diad6 a p-o-s. I would compare it to using a poorly working graphing calculator to do simple math problems. Simple is quicker, something that works concistently is quicker.
I come to work to do a job, I give an honest effort and expect stuff to work correctly. Diad6 is like orion having you walk across the road to deliver a number of stops only to turn around and drive back the other way so you can walk across the road to deliver all the stops you just drove past.
The first day using DIAD6 I learned that it’s better to push the reset button to turn off the screen right before I put the DIAD in the pouch (on the clip or in the pocket for some people). That almost completely eliminates accidentally pushing something that knocks us off the screen we need to be in when it’s time to use it. So I push that button immediately after scanning the last package and then drop it in the pouch. When I get it out to sheet and push stop complete the scan summary screen is still there when I get it out.

The lagging/freezing doesn’t bother me nearly as much as most people because I probably care less about being efficient than most drivers. And haven’t since ORION was implemented. I figured….why should I? They seem to be doing everything they can to slow me down so why fight it? 🤷‍♂️

Steamer

I accidently pushed the screen to where it was taking me like 18 miles to the next stop. I was like WTF? So I pulled over and realized it was taking me to my last stop. It's just too easy to change the carrot with a touch screen. They should just leave it to the manual up and down arrows that it does have as well to move it. Also the on-screen scanner does the same thing by deleting a package as scanned if you accidently touch one of the packages behind it while scanning. So I stopped using the on-screen scanner.
I've also noticed that if it bounces a lot on rough roads that it stops induction charging. Then loses the navigation and won't come back on. Then the only way to get it to kick back on is to physically pull it up for about 2 seconds and put it back in. That's awesome while driving county roads. Also a great distraction.

Is there a way to totally REBOOT the 6? Like a hard shut down? That would probably help. I do that with my android phone when it acts up or slows down. They should program them to reboot at like 3am daily. Just so it's a clean restart everyday.

Last edited:

Ghost in the Darkness

My diad always crashes in the same places sometimes many times at that as at&t is sxhxit service out here... worst you can have. It crashes often multiple times during reboots. I don't care about their numbers and I certainly don't run & gun but reliability would be nice. If the customer is waiting and the diad is rebooting I have to look for multiple pcs like the old days and hope I didn't miss any. Not as big an issue after I check for misloads as I sort the load and get stops and pcs together how I want it. But the early part of the day is a huge time waster.

Ghost in the Darkness

For hard reboot is top right button on side. Hold in and select restart or shutdown. If you put in cradle either way will make it start up again when you startup. You can also push the battery button sideways and pull the battery. Wait 20-30 seconds or so and put it back in.

Steamer

My diad always crashes in the same places sometimes many times at that as at&t is sxhxit service out here... worst you can have. It crashes often multiple times during reboots. I don't care about their numbers and I certainly don't run & gun but reliability would be nice. If the customer is waiting and the diad is rebooting I have to look for multiple pcs like the old days and hope I didn't miss any. Not as big an issue after I check for misloads as I sort the load and get stops and pcs together how I want it. But the early part of the day is a huge time waster.
Yes, it's fun when you have 10 commits to run. I had 20 in one day with the DIAD V. I couldn't even imagine getting them all off in time with the VI.

born2Bwild

I was told that when we rescan a package for redelivery it will avoid the 1st time. So now, when I will redeliver next day air package because the customer paid a lot be there ASAP it will void the 1st scan and it will show late. Of course there is no consequence, but…
another thing… most common delivery choice are private home and front door, instead of putting them on the left close to thump it’s on the left.
Finally it stops working or it takes reeeeaaally long time for it to determine a failed scan.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
9EE0A8D6-2780-42A6-820C-F6A1942E713C.jpeg

Ghost in the Darkness

I was told that when we rescan a package for redelivery it will avoid the 1st time. So now, when I will redeliver next day air package because the customer paid a lot be there ASAP it will void the 1st scan and it will show late. Of course there is no consequence, but…
another thing… most common delivery choice are private home and front door, instead of putting them on the left close to thump it’s on the left.
Finally it stops working or it takes reeeeaaally long time for it to determine a failed scan.
Actually when prompted say no you don't want to void the first scan if it was an air previously attempted.

Fuzzy Brown

It amazes me how many drivers have so much difficulty adapting to the DIAD6. It is a huge change from the previous model but most of it can easily be figured out when you simply relax and take the time to look around and read whats on the screen. In many cases, although in a different format, what you’re looking for will be self explanatory. Seems like the runners have the most trouble adapting because they don’t want to take the time to get acquainted with it. And a few severely technically deficient folks are struggling too. 😆
The runners have the least problems because they came in 2 hours early every day the first week and congregated in the office begging management to show them how it works.

DiadDude

It will only void the first stop if it was delivered in that stop, not if it was attempted but non-delivered. Either way, it asks you if you want to void the previous package.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
When I’ve had stuff like that happen I just sheeted the packages as a walk up pickup. Packages get picked up and scanned.

Steamer

Why is this job so hard for some of you guys?
It's not. It was our first day of using it. Also it locks up 15 times a day. So there is that. Sheeting a pickup can't be deleted either. Not having EDIT is just stupid. Or they call you later with another skid. And you kindly pick it up. It has to be added as walk up pick up. The person that wrote the software obviously never used it.

JustDeliverIt

It's not. It was our first day of using it. Also it locks up 15 times a day. So there is that. Sheeting a pickup can't be deleted either. Not having EDIT is just stupid. Or they call you later with another skid. And you kindly pick it up. It has to be added as walk up pick up. The person that wrote the software obviously never used it.

We just started with it this week also. That was what I was explaining to my on car this morning is that the device itself is fine but the software is not user friendly. Extra steps to complete stops or finding stuff under a few drop down menus. Just isn’t as smooth as the old software, then add in the app crashes.

Like anything else, I’m sure we’ll all get used to it. It just feels like a step back. I started with a 4 and going to a 5 was awesome. Smaller, faster and easy to use. Going to a 6 I was hoping for similar improvements, just didn’t happen. Oh well.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
We just started with it this week also. That was what I was explaining to my on car this morning is that the device itself is fine but the software is not user friendly. Extra steps to complete stops or finding stuff under a few drop down menus. Just isn’t as smooth as the old software, then add in the app crashes.

Like anything else, I’m sure we’ll all get used to it. It just feels like a step back. I started with a 4 and going to a 5 was awesome. Smaller, faster and easy to use. Going to a 6 I was hoping for similar improvements, just didn’t happen. Oh well.
Learn to love it…..🤔

Heavy Package

I love the Diad 6. It's freaking awesome. Ups only wants us to have better equipment so we can be safer and more relaxed when we are on-road and in front of our customers. We are the face for UPS and I thank everyone in IE and corporate who worked on this great project.