Diad Glitch?

AKCoverMan

If the rebel teenage kid is gonna say score when the package is outside in a box, then he's gonna say score when it's inside on the wine shelf

NO DIFFERENCE

EITHER WAY, DON'T OVERTHINK, DO WHAT THE DIAD TELLS YOU TO DO AND YOU WAKE UP TO PUT THE BROWNS ON AGAIN. GUARANTEED

P.S. - I reported it to the center manager last peak, and all I got was the blank stare of NOTMYPROBLEM.

Well, I don't think I am overthinking. Just thinking, period. I know, I know, what am I doing thinking on the job!! :happy-very:

If the teen takes the wine from inside the house the difference is that the parents have had a chance to do something about it, i.e. store it where the kid can't get at it. Or not. But it is in the parent's hands. There is no way to put the blame on UPS nor the driver.

If you don't think that the lawyer of someone injured or killed by the mythical rebel teen in my story would not name UPS, the shipper, and the driver who was just doing his job as directed as defendants in a law suit, think again! In fact, the lawyer for the rebel teen's parents would probably sue UPS and the driver as well just to deflect liability.

Perhaps they would not win, but it's like an accident that is ruled "unavoidable", you still don't want to have to go thru it! And even if the DIAD let you DR the package, if a fine (like FedEx got in the above mentioned news story) or a lawsuit resulted from that DR how do you think UPS would react? Completly back the driver? A warning letter? Suspended? Again, I don't want to test the theory. When something goes wrong on a route for any reason, who is the first person blamed? (Hint: the person is NOT in management.)

If its booze, and I know it, then I do the right thing. Deliver to an adult.

Just my humble opinion!

DiadDude

No, but once the package is delivered, the shipper gets billed for the additional service. (ASR add on)

I'm not 100% sure, but I also believe this makes "No Adult" a vaild Non Delivery Reason. Similar to how you can't do a "No Money" until you put a Collection amount on a pkg.

brownman15

u need not to worry about whats inside the package. If the barcode reads sig required, than get one, if not dr away We are paid to deliver

but if there is a sticker that says pkg contains alcohol adult signature required i would get a signature

brownman15

If the rebel teenage kid is gonna say score when the package is outside in a box, then he's gonna say score when it's inside on the wine shelf

NO DIFFERENCE

EITHER WAY, DON'T OVERTHINK, DO WHAT THE DIAD TELLS YOU TO DO AND YOU WAKE UP TO PUT THE BROWNS ON AGAIN. GUARANTEED

P.S. - I reported it to the center manager last peak, and all I got was the blank stare of NOTMYPROBLEM.

but u can not be held accountable for taking from the wine shelf but u can if he takes it from a pkg that was left on the porch without an adult sig

I believe that if your DIAD does not have the streets for the area you are helping out in preprogrammed then the “NO DR ALLOWED” restriction is not in place either. You can tell this because after transferring EDD, when you scan the package it will populate the delivery screen then say “NO MATCH FOUND” for the street name. You hit the override button and move on.

I took stops off a driver on Christmas Eve in a different loop than the one I had been working in that day and this happened. The driver told me about one of the stops being a non-DRable stop in the DIAD, but for me it would DR just fine. (I got a signature anyway.)

Exactly! Your dispatcher assigns loop/sequence ranges of data to go into your diad. The 01A route would probably get the entire 100 loop (01/0001 - 01/9999). Each sequence number in this range (01/0500, for example) corresponds to an address or address range. The data about no DR, dogs, preferred DR points, gate codes, etc all live within that loop/sequence number's data.

The dispatcher does all of this in the dispatch management program. The OMS's diad control progam assigns the dispatcher's routes (01A, 05C) to specific boards by board serial number.

If you were helping a driver whose route is far from yours, your board would not have the loop/sequence data for that address, so you wouldn't receive any of the information.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Exactly! Your dispatcher assigns loop/sequence ranges of data to go into your diad. The 01A route would probably get the entire 100 loop (01/0001 - 01/9999). Each sequence number in this range (01/0500, for example) corresponds to an address or address range. The data about no DR, dogs, preferred DR points, gate codes, etc all live within that loop/sequence number's data.

The dispatcher does all of this in the dispatch management program. The OMS's diad control progam assigns the dispatcher's routes (01A, 05C) to specific boards by board serial number.

If you were helping a driver whose route is far from yours, your board would not have the loop/sequence data for that address, so you wouldn't receive any of the information.

My dispatcher has put the loop data of several routes in my board, which eliminates a lot of the problems associated with out of area deliveries.

UPSGUY72

If the label says SR or ASR I get a signature if not it gets DR unless it's a business or I know it's a non DR location. My concern is to make sure the customer gets the package and that it's not damaged. I'm not the package police. I don't care what's in the box I deliver it's not my job to try to figure that out. It could be a wine box with something else in it. Could be a bottle of olive oil or non-alcoholic wine.

I understand about CYA but lets not make something more than it is.

New Hampshire is cracking done on Alcohol shipments because of taxes. People are buy outside of the state and not paying taxes on the alcohol I know this personally because my wife works at a place that ships wine to NH.

OMS Queen

Signature required and Adult Signature required cost the shipper more. I have wine shippers that put the stickers, but don't want to pay the additional $2.50 for the adult signature. Unless the service code is a sig required code, the DIAD won't prompt you.

So, what do you do at this point? Do you change the service code in the DIAD and secure a signature or do you simply DR the pkg?

BTW, the charge for Adult Signature Required is $5.25.
Get a signature and go through your soft key to add " Adult Sig Req" to the package? It's my understanding the shipper will be charged for the service then?

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
So, what do you do at this point? Do you change the service code in the DIAD and secure a signature or do you simply DR the pkg?

BTW, the charge for Adult Signature Required is $5.25.

I change it, get a signature. The CMA rule is in effect here. If I dr the booze and some kid gets it, I may not be covered. If I don't dr it... I am. It is always a driver's decision to release a package or not, depending on the situation. Just because it is coded 03 doesn't mean I have to release it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Get a signature and go through your soft key to add " Adult Sig Req" to the package? It's my understanding the shipper will be charged for the service then?

I change it, get a signature. The CMA rule is in effect here. If I dr the booze and some kid gets it, I may not be covered. If I don't dr it... I am. It is always a driver's decision to release a package or not, depending on the situation. Just because it is coded 03 doesn't mean I have to release it.

Excellent advice in both posts. Mr. Tex, yes, the shipper is charged for any changes that we make in the DIAD, be it changing the service code to doing an ADC.

Excellent advice in both posts. Mr. Tex, yes, the shipper is charged for any changes that we make in the DIAD, be it changing the service code to doing an ADC.
Now when you say changing the service code, do you mean you go in and actually change it in the 1Z? of just through the soft key to add the ASR ?