Diad survey on UPSer.com

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I think this is the first time I have ever seen a survey concerning a new product or upgrade. What other earth shattering developments will happen in the New Year?

Griff

I think this is the first time I have ever seen a survey concerning a new product or upgrade. What other earth shattering developments will happen in the New Year?

I still find it shocking that the DIAD4 made it to release. It's as if it was never tested in the battlefield before they made hundreds of thousands of them and sent them off to buildings. The entire design was a complete step backward from the DIAD3, especially the keypad. The only real plus to the 4 is the really bright screen and much easier to read font. Other than that I can't really say anything positive, I could go on forever about its flaws. The most annoying one by far is the location of the signature button, customers constantly hit it with their thumb and knock themselves out of the signature screen.

Has anyone seen the FedEx one up and close? I've only seen it from afar and I have to say that it looks pretty nice. It looks about 1/5th of the size of our DIAD, very streamlined and sleek.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I just went over there to look at my payroll deposit, and I noticed the DIAD Survey. I took it, it is twenty-four questions long and also has some places to put comments. I put the Shift Key needs to go, it needs newer communication abilities, and battery improvements. Debit and Credit Card capabilities would be great too. Nows the time, everybody has till the end of the month to get your two cents in.

Griff

I just went over there to look at my payroll deposit, and I noticed the DIAD Survey. I took it, it is twenty-four questions long and also has some places to put comments. I put the Shift Key needs to go, it needs newer communication abilities, and battery improvements. Debit and Credit Card capabilities would be great too. Nows the time, everybody has till the end of the month to get your two cents in.

I put in that it needs an AIM like program to be able to instant message/text other drivers in the center. I just recently started playing hardball with my cellphone usage on the job. I refuse to "call" into the center anymore, I'm tired of using my cellphone minutes to talk to them. There was an incident that pushed me to stop using my phone on the job, but I wont go into it here for obvious reasons.

I hope all the drivers take the survey and give it some thought.

pkgdriver

Has anyone seen the FedEx one up and close? I've only seen it from afar and I have to say that it looks pretty nice. It looks about 1/5th of the size of our DIAD, very streamlined and sleek.

The size of the DIAD4 is just about right IMO. It can't get any smaller I wouldn't think.
The FedEx drivers ive talked to have both good and bad things to say about their Powerpad.
Reliablity has been a bit of problem it sounds like.

govols019

You smell that?
With the exception on the signature key being in a horrendous spot, I like the DIAD 4.

The entire design was a complete step backward from the DIAD3, especially the keypad.

The keypad just takes a little getting used to. I can type just as fast with this one as I could with 3.

I'd rather have a DIAD 2 then go back to 3. That thing just sucked. Bad battery life, hard to read screen, a scanner that half the time wouldn't and those glow in the dark buttons that caused you to put the DIAD in front of the headlights of the truck every few stops after dark. No thanks. Though I do miss that little red light to illuminate walk paths with. That was kinda cool.

SmithBarney

Up close look

http://www.motorola.com/rtte/Telematics/PwrPad.jpg
I have.. everyday, and I've used the DIAD4 pre-PAS though.
They both have their pluses and minuses, I would say they
both are equal in ease of use(or lack of)

We have the same shift for numbers feature(?)
the PowerPad has 6 letters across, and the DIAD has 7(if I remember correctly)
That took the longest to get used to.. could never find keys.

Luckily about 80% of FedEx Labels have an "address" barcode
that we just scan.

I like the PowerPad Pouch, I never could get the DIAD4 clip to work
conveniently(it always got stuck on) so I just used my DIAD3 pouch.

I wish the Powerpad had somewhere for the pen, too many people
try to put my pen away underneath..(I wonder why)

Some operational differences between companies. If someone hands you
a package at UPS you can just scan it in(I forgot the term.. uhoh)
At Express we have to contact Dispatcher to get a Pickup/walkup sent to us.
this is fine but time consuming. Luckily we have a Dispatcher, at UPS if we sent
a message, we were never sure if anyone actually read it for hours on end
(although your centers may be different)

Scanning, the PowerPad, absolutely dominates in scanning ability.
It can read from any direction upside, down, diagonal. etc...
It reads bar codes, that I would have never thought to try with
the DIAD. I've had it somehow read barcodes that had been ripped in two
and still separated, reads around corners better too.. But I do miss the
nicer beeps fro the DIAD.

As for reliability, my PowerPad has crashed(my fault I think) once in 6 months.
the DIAD 4, used it for about 8 months, and can't remember it crashing.
Every so often when the PowerPads reboot, you can bump into windows
and play around with the settings.. thats the only problem I see with the powerpad
the FedEx program is just a shell running on top of an active operating system..
Just one more thing that could fail...

Oh yeah.. both the PowerPad and DIAD both seem to have the same problem
people always flipping them around for signing... ;)

over9five

Staff member
You guys are nuts. No matter WHAT the actual results of that survey are, UPS will SAY everyone loves it, it's the best thing since sliced bread etc etc.

Think ERI and PAS/EDD....

jules23

Logic? Who needs logic?
I would encourage anyone who has an idea, opinion, suggestion, etc. to go take the survey. Believe it or not, the people who work on this do listen to you and wish drivers and center teams would give their opinion. If something doesn't make the cut it could be budget constraints (projects do not get an unlimited amount of money), feasibility and other factors that are considered as to why the idea is not implemented. Doesn't mean it's not a good idea or won't be considered. Some ideas will make it and some ideas will have to be shelved until another release.

Just my .02, but anything productive you have to say I know the group wants to hear.

DiadDude

You guys are nuts. No matter WHAT the actual results of that survey are, UPS will SAY everyone loves it, it's the best thing since sliced bread etc etc.

Think ERI and PAS/EDD....

The survey isn't intended to determine whether you love or hate the DIAD4. The survey is intended to figure out what parts you do or don't like so that they can be changed/improved for the next generation device. There is only one chance to get the device right and then the company has to live with it for many years.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I just took the survery and agree with Scratch in that I think future DIADs need to have credit/debit card capabilities. I also think the signature key needs to be moved.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
I just took the survery and agree with Scratch in that I think future DIADs need to have credit/debit card capabilities. I also think the signature key needs to be moved.

Who wants to stand and wait for a card to be authorized, or the customer to look for their card, or go find another one if it isn't authorized?

worldwide

"The trend in our economy is toward the use of credit/debit cards so it is only a matter of time before I think we will be accepting them as a form of payment."

Customers can pay by credit card--on ups.com or by ASD. In what case would a customer need to give a credit card to a driver to pay for a shipment? Every package we get now is either already prepaid or billed to a UPS account.

Assuming you could swipe a card through the DIAD, where would the tracking/address label come from?

How about a camera similar to a cell phone? Any package that looks damaged or beat up could have its picture taken for claims purposes.

pretzel_man

I'd rather do away with COD all together.

Took the survey. Make it lite, make it small.

How small??? Can you live with little tiny keys?

Are you asking for keys like a DIAD III in a unit smaller than a DIAD IV???

I guess that will be a tough decision for somebody.

P-Man

SmithBarney

Assuming you could swipe a card through the DIAD, where would the tracking/address label come from?

Oh yeah another point of comparison, I love the fact that we can print labels at FedEx.
we even occasionally get a oncall where it will print everything we need for someone.
(address, and tracking #)

As for how we process CODs, much more efficient than the UPS method, we take the check
put it in a Shipping Envelope(like a NDA one) slap a label on it, and its out the door that night.

BigBrownSanta

Have the shipping information transmitted to the center. The center generates a tracking label similiar to call tags. The center sends you the tracking number, and you give it to the customer. The label is waiting for you when you get in. This would really save time with ODS pickups when the customer doesn't have a GSD or ASD.

This survey should have been mentioned in PCM's.

brownracer

Over the years everyone hasn't been shy about sharing their views on the DIAD 4. This our chance to get our views in on the design of the next DIAD. I recommend every driver take the survey. You can't take the survey from home you have to take it on a UPS computer. The link is in UPSers.com. You shouldn't receive any flack for taking it as it is fully authorized. Because of the long lead times in defining the hardware needs; comparing what is out there; making a decision of what to buy and then deploying; I hear that they are beginning the selection process now for the next DIAD.

Just like the presidential elections-- if you don't vote, you are part of the problem and not the solution.