Did any of you drivers not make it past your 30 days the first time?

BrownArmy

Outside hire, had ten years experience driving TRUCKS, killed every interview possible.

I wonder about the casuals who have never driven TRUCKS.

Must be stressful!?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Long ago, I backed into the front quarter panel of a rusty old pickup truck, making a p/u on my 28th day. Unfortunately for me, my center manager at the time used to be an old preload manager who was on the business end of many of my winning grievances. Despite doing very little damage to the pickup, my center manager disqualified me, saying he wished it was up to him, but that the 'higher up's said no'. He said it with a smile. Today, I cringe when I look at the seniority list in feeders, because about 25 drivers went driving after me, before I finally got my name on that seniority list.

Oh well, it WAS my fault. And besides, a few years later, after I gained seniority driving, I continued my winning streak of grievances against said supervisor. Some people just never learn...

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Long ago, I backed into the front quarter panel of a rusty old pickup truck, making a p/u on my 28th day. ...

Years ago we had a driver on day on alone back into a car at a dealership. Needless to say this person is still working part time.

U

uber

Day two of training. A lot of computer module stuff. I feel like I'm going through information overload right now. Hopefully it will come easier when I start on the road training.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Glad to hear that you are doing well at driver school. Again please feel free to PM me if you have any questions, both this week and at any point thereafter. Dave.

On a side note---I have been here for 23 years and have never been required to have a CDL to drive a package car. When I first started all we needed was a Class C. Now we have to have a Class C-Non CDL.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Day two of training. A lot of computer module stuff. I feel like I'm going through information overload right now. Hopefully it will come easier when I start on the road training.

I'm glad I never had to do any of that stuff.
Most of it is good advice I'm sure.
One day you will look back and laugh.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Glad to hear that you are doing well at driver school. Again please feel free to PM me if you have any questions, both this week and at any point thereafter. Dave.

On a side note---I have been here for 23 years and have never been required to have a CDL to drive a package car. When I first started all we needed was a Class C. Now we have to have a Class C-Non CDL.

[video=youtube;gzdvfp8O8Yw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzdvfp8O8Yw[/video]

Come on Nancy, leave the kid alone.
I would think you would have got the message when he didn't respond to your PM.

menotyou

bella amicizia

No, Dave. We just need a Class D. We needed a CDL-C when I rubbed the telephone pole. I think I should know. I was the first in the district to have it happen.

menotyou

bella amicizia
[video=youtube;gzdvfp8O8Yw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzdvfp8O8Yw[/video]

Come on Nancy, leave the kid alone.
Nancy was trying, yet again, to question my credibility. Tell Nancy to ask his very own BA to confirm the story. Oh, that's right. Nancy won't do that because then he would know I am, yet again, telling the truth.

OptimusPrime

No, Dave. We just need a Class D. We needed a CDL-C when I rubbed the telephone pole. I think I should know. I was the first in the district to have it happen.

State to state I guess. Here in Naptown all we need is a Chauffeur License. IIRC limited up to the weight of a Super Van , and we gotta keep passengers under 15. [h=2][/h][h=2]Chauffeur License[/h]

U

uber

Might have to take you up on that. I'm having trouble with understanding the abbreviations for different shipment types. For instance, 1DA and such.

Also, they make it seem like the pre-trip inspection is super important. So much stuff on the computer test to remember.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

1DA is Next Day Air.

When I left the military and was hired by UPS I had a Class C drivers license. I only had to take a road test with a supervisor, not with DMV. When NY changed the requirement to the Class C-Non CDL current employees were only required to take the written test to receive the upgraded license. New drivers now have to take the road test with a DMV official. Package car drivers do not nor have ever needed a CDL in New York.

I just went to the NYS DMV website to double check my facts--turns out they are phasing out the Class C-Non CDL license in favor of a Class D, which will replace the Class C for the majority of drivers.

Last edited:

menotyou

bella amicizia
1DA is Next Day Air.

When I left the military and was hired by UPS I had a Class C drivers license. I only had to take a road test with a supervisor, not with DMV. When NY changed the requirement to the Class C-Non CDL current employees were only required to take the written test to receive the upgraded license. New drivers now have to take the road test with a DMV official. Package car drivers do not nor have ever needed a CDL in New York.

I just went to the NYS DMV website to double check my facts--turns out they are phasing out the Class C-Non CDL license in favor of a Class D, which will replace the Class C for the majority of drivers.
You are wrong. I don't know what occurs in the Bubble of Goodness, but in 2004, I rubbed the telephone pole that was on the corner of Michigan Ave and State St. I was in the UPS truck, that was a 1000, with a DMV official while my center manager(now ON-car) waited on Park Dr-not e not w just Park Dr. I had to run back-crying BTW- to tell him he had to move the truck as I had failed. We went back to the center and waited for three hours while #er made frantic calls all over the division. Mike-you know who I mean- was the one who called back with the fact that I have a one year suspension from driving. The truck remained on the line, with the rub running down the side of the truck, until we got a new fleet because of a broken frame investigation by the Attorney General.
They have since done redone State St and the pole in now gone.
Try fact checking with your own Business Agent. Oh, yeah. If you did that, you would be proven wrong.

GOOGLE 1309 State St, Watertown NY to see a map of said corner, if you like.

menotyou

bella amicizia

1DA is Next Day Air.

2nd CDL BILL PASSES IN ALBANY

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/ncdlc.htm

Last edited: