Did UPS lose my package?

ratjeev

I dropped off a package at a UPS Shipping Center (not a Mail Box Etc or UPS Store), and for 2 days the tracking has shown "A UPS shipping label has been created. Once the shipment arrives at our facility, the tracking status--including the scheduled delivery date--will be updated."

Is there a chance my package was lost, stolen, or missing? I ship items here about twice per week and usually by 10pm I will at least see "Origin Scan" on tracking information. I don't want to say exactly which location this is but it is very typical for packages to be left unattended at the counter. I could easily walk in at almost any time of day and walk out with packages left on the scale or belt right behind the counter because the cashier is in the bathroom or wherever.

I'm just hoping the package was not scanned somewhere along the route and it still reaches its destination.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I dropped off a package at a UPS Shipping Center (not a Mail Box Etc or UPS Store), and for 2 days the tracking has shown "A UPS shipping label has been created. Once the shipment arrives at our facility, the tracking status--including the scheduled delivery date--will be updated."

Is there a chance my package was lost, stolen, or missing? I ship items here about twice per week and usually by 10pm I will at least see "Origin Scan" on tracking information. I don't want to say exactly which location this is but it is very typical for packages to be left unattended at the counter. I could easily walk in at almost any time of day and walk out with packages left on the scale or belt right behind the counter because the cashier is in the bathroom or wherever.

I'm just hoping the package was not scanned somewhere along the route and it still reaches its destination.
The packages should be secured, but not everyone has the mindset of a thief.

ratjeev

Ratjeev, based on what you have told us it appears that the pkg has yet to be picked up by UPS. Did you get a receipt when you dropped it off?

I personally dropped this package off at the UPS center. This is a center the size of a football field with customer center drop off/pickup. Yes I got copy of shipping label which they consider a receipt. I've never had problems with tracking packages shipped from here until now.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I personally dropped this package off at the UPS center. This is a center the size of a football field with customer center drop off/pickup. Yes I got copy of shipping label which they consider a receipt. I've never had problems with tracking packages shipped from here until now.

Your first post said that you dropped it off at a UPS shipping center. Now you are saying you dropped it off at the UPS center. Did you bring it to the customer counter at a UPS building, which we call centers, or did you bring it to an ASO (authorized shipping outlet), a place that accepts packages for UPS? A copy of the shipping label is not considered to be a receipt. I could create a shipment and print a duplicate label but that would not be considered a receipt. A receipt would be created after the package has been scanned by the clerk.

If it were me I would go back to that facility today, if they are open, or tomorrow to see what happened to your package. It should have received at least an origin scan by this point. Dave.

ratjeev

Ok center or whatever the correct term is, this is a huge UPS building with dozens of UPS trucks and customer walk in center. Here customers like me use 1 of the 5 or so computers to enter shipping info and a small barcode sticker is printed. Then the sticker is applied to package and the counter person weighs,scans,and accepts payment. They issue a duplicate of the shipping label which they consider a receipt. I will go back tomorrow to see what they say but I doubt it will help.

I'm just looking for some insight to see if it does happen that no tracking info is available but the package is still in the network on its way to its destination.

and
Your first post said that you dropped it off at a UPS shipping center. Now you are saying you dropped it off at the UPS center. Did you bring it to the customer counter at a UPS building, which we call centers, or did you bring it to an ASO (authorized shipping outlet), a place that accepts packages for UPS? A copy of the shipping label is not considered to be a receipt. I could create a shipment and print a duplicate label but that would not be considered a receipt. A receipt would be created after the package has been scanned by the clerk.

If it were me I would go back to that facility today, if they are open, or tomorrow to see what happened to your package. It should have received at least an origin scan by this point. Dave.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you dropped it off at a UPS customer counter the package would have received an origin scan and you would be able to track in online at ups.com Please know that I am not doubting your story but something just doesn't sound right.

ratjeev

If you dropped it off at a UPS customer counter the package would have received an origin scan and you would be able to track in online at ups.com Please know that I am not doubting your story but something just doesn't sound right.

Like I said in my original post, I ship from this center a couple of times a week usually dropping off packages between 9-5. As soon as I leave the place I get an email from iship saying a shipment was made however tracking # on ups.com is usually invalid until about midnight local time. When tracking info is available, it shows origin scans of no earlier than 8pm to as late as 10pm.

I just don't feel comfortable that the counter is left unattended many times with packages sitting on the counter. The center is in a seedy part of town. the traffic that comes thru here is mostly peole that got door tags picking up rather than shipping.

old levi's

blank space
Like I said in my original post, I ship from this center a couple of times a week usually dropping off packages between 9-5. As soon as I leave the place I get an email from iship saying a shipment was made however tracking # on ups.com is usually invalid until about midnight local time. When tracking info is available, it shows origin scans of no earlier than 8pm to as late as 10pm.

I just don't feel comfortable that the counter is left unattended many times with packages sitting on the counter. The center is in a seedy part of town. the traffic that comes thru here is mostly peole that got door tags picking up rather than shipping.

Describe seedy.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UpstateNYUPSer, do u think there's a chance the package is in the system and will magically show up in tracking when it gets closer to its destination?

Honestly--no. If you tendered the pkg to a customer counter at a UPS center it would have been origin scanned and in the system by now.

ratjeev

Keep your receipt.

Thanks upstatenyupser for your replies. Turns out my package did eventually show up in tracking. Any insight to why it wasnt in the tracking system for so long and missed an origin scan? There is a 1000 mile distance between origin and destination.

1/13 order processed
1/16 arrival scan
1/16 out for delivery
1/16 delivered

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thanks upstatenyupser for your replies. Turns out my package did eventually show up in tracking. Any insight to why it wasnt in the tracking system for so long and missed an origin scan? There is a 1000 mile distance between origin and destination.

1/13 order processed
1/16 arrival scan
1/16 out for delivery
1/16 delivered

I am glad everything worked out for you. To answer your question--I have no idea why there wasn't an origin and/or departure scan at the center.

iowa boy

Right but how did it not get either of them when it was dropped off at one of our customer counters?

It could have had a bad barcode and not scanned, if it was a small and had a bad barcode, it just got put into a bag and loaded with the other smalls in the bag. Someone may have forgot to scan it when it came off the belt it was on...There's a few possibilities as to why no origin was placed on the package.

If there is no origin scan placed on a package, there can be no departure scan placed on it as UPS doesn't know they have the package until the next hub or the receiving center puts an arrival scan on it.