Dilemma Fedex Full Time or UPS Seasonal

bbsam

Staff member
Yes, it's still flat rate and still 1099'ed. He is being hired by a contractor, not Fedex. If he was payed by Fedex it would be taxed income. But Fedex Ground, you are hired as a sub-contractor and are responsible for paying your own taxes.
Then the contractor is violating his contract.

bbsam

Staff member
That's just wrong. Not blaming you bit it's just wrong
I don't disagree. Bernie Sanders has it right. X really isn't looking for a 30 year driver retiring to a decent pension. From a purely corporate and investor pov it makes perfect sense. For everyone else, well as long as they show up and do a somewhat adequate job...who the hell cares?

Re-Raise

generally speaking, no.
That is crazy. I bet 8 weeks of vacation, paid holidays, free family insurance and pension contributions of over $500 a week would equal way more than 37k a year. All of that before the $34+ an hour and $51+ for overtime.

I'll still bitch when I get to work Monday though...

I don't disagree. Bernie Sanders has it right. X really isn't looking for a 30 year driver retiring to a decent pension. From a purely corporate and investor pov it makes perfect sense. For everyone else, well as long as they show up and do a somewhat adequate job...who the hell cares?
Well, if the Democrats get the $15 an hour minimum wage, that will screw over FedEx ground.

bbsam

Staff member
That is crazy. I bet 8 weeks of vacation, paid holidays, free family insurance and pension contributions of over $500 a week would equal way more than 37k a year. All of that before the $34+ an hour and $51+ for overtime.

I'll still bitch when I get to work Monday though...
Correct. And along comes X and gets it done at $12 to $14 per hour.

Business ethics? I'm not sure there is such a thing as long as the bottom line is the focus.

What city are you in if you care to say? Some areas are starting to have a hard time finding qualified drivers to promote from our part-time ranks. There will probably be a lot of retirements at the beginning of the year with the pension increase. The five-ten year waits to go full-time in my area are over with in my opinion.

REDWA is getting that way. I went to my centers driving school last week(Integrad is closed for the season in my area). My instructor said that the Redwa was doing off the street hiring, because not enough people want the FT.

Brown_Star

Methods Man
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I applied for Both Fedex and UPS. Yesterday UPS called and offered me a seasonal package delivery job and I accepted it and am supposed to drive and get my DOT on Wednesday. Today Fedex just called and offered me a full time package delivery driver job. I told the nice man at Fedex that I was interested and told him my situation. I decided that I would meet with him for an interview this Monday but made no affirmation that I would take the job. I am heavily conflicted - what should I do? I would much rather work for UPS if I was full time, but seasonal I am not sure. Am I going to get any work driving for UPS after mid January? What are the odds getting full time? How much work do seasonal drivers generally get throughout the year.

If anyone could offer me any advice I would be very thankful.

cheers
d

What you should do is this ....

Become a ups seasonal and criticize the the route driver to ors on how lazy he is.Maybe just maybe you'll end up in management.

Nike

These topics pop up a lot and the responses are just terrible. You should go UPS first off. Once your in the driver seat start kissing butt. Seriously you want them to keep you after the holidays give them a reason to. Bring breakfast tacos for your supervisors, and finish strong every day, work off the clock if need be. If your just a pedestrian driver or just barely finishing every day you won't make it. Once your on permanently then start doing the union stuff to save your body.

These topics pop up a lot and the responses are just terrible. You should go UPS first off. Once your in the driver seat start kissing butt. Seriously you want them to keep you after the holidays give them a reason to. Bring breakfast tacos for your supervisors, and finish strong every day, work off the clock if need be. If your just a pedestrian driver or just barely finishing every day you won't make it. Once your on permanently then start doing the union stuff to save your body.
That doesn't help

But thanks for nothing

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What city are you in if you care to say? Some areas are starting to have a hard time finding qualified drivers to promote from our part-time ranks. There will probably be a lot of retirements at the beginning of the year with the pension increase. The five-ten year waits to go full-time in my area are over with in my opinion.

Qualified and motivated PTers.