Dilemma Fedex Full Time or UPS Seasonal

PT Car Washer

Definitely avoid FedEx Ground. If you make a good impression with UPS there's a decent chance they'll keep you after peak. $90k+, pension, health insurance & 401k compared to $37k, no 401k, no health insurance, paying for your own parking tickets, & paying for your own gas. Don't even sleep on it.
I agree there is a decent chance of being kept on after Peak is over. As a PT loader making $10.15/hr. for 3 1/2 hours a day with no pension, no health insurance, no vacation, no Holiday pay, and paying for Union initiation fees and monthly Union dues. Waiting for your big chance. I would sleep on it.

BigD Bri

These topics pop up a lot and the responses are just terrible. You should go UPS first off. Once your in the driver seat start kissing butt. Seriously you want them to keep you after the holidays give them a reason to. Bring breakfast tacos for your supervisors, and finish strong every day, work off the clock if need be. If your just a pedestrian driver or just barely finishing every day you won't make it. Once your on permanently then start doing the union stuff to save your body.

This right here (hadn't thought about the breakfast tacos.. Not bad). This is how I'm going to approach it. It just seems strange to me that anyone getting an opp like this would mail it in. It's one thing if you just suck, but just trying to do only enough to keep getting the paycheck through Peak? I can only hope that my competition is this weak. Chances are good that I am going right back to slinging boxes, but I just can't see approaching it anything but a tryout for FT..

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
The point is its not UPS's role to monitor ammo deliveries. Homeland Securiry is 4 steps ahead of you.

I do not give anything I pick up or deliver a 2nd thought. They are all boxes and I do not care what is in them.

I wonder how long it will be before the Government says that both UPS and FedEx SHOULD have been monitoring these shipments just as they did with drug and cigarette shipments?

Nike

That doesn't help

But thanks for nothing

Exactly what I'm talking about another useless comment from some peon who thinks he knows everything. Sometimes being a nice guy works, you can be the fastest or stongest guy in the hub but if your management team and coworkers dont like you well your going to have a hard time staying on in this company especially as a new hire.

Exactly what I'm talking about another useless comment from some peon who thinks he knows everything. Sometimes being a nice guy works, you can be the fastest or stongest guy in the hub but if your management team and coworkers dont like you well your going to have a hard time staying on in this company especially as a new hire.
I don't think I could even qualify anymore if I was a newbie.

Cementups

Box Monkey
The drivers for FedEx ground in my area look like they are on a work release program

I was in a business last week and this dude is holding a Fedex computer and is walking out after getting a signature. I asked the girls, who the hell was that and then I looked out the window and saw the FedEx truck out front. He was dressed in khaki cargo shorts and a black t-shirt. They said they even had to ask him for idea before signing because he just walked in and dropped boxes and asked for a sig.

I know I am late to the party on this one but I am going to throw my two cents in. I have driven 6 years for FXG working for the same company (Col. Ohio). In the beginning the hand written checks and 1099 status were the thing until Ground forced the companies to incorporate and pay their drivers as employees (thank you Cali.) The "allure" of FXG is that maybe you could buy route and grow your own business, but with their new ISP agreements coming out, you need to buy a minimum of 5 routes in most states to even be approved which comes out to a nearly half million investment.

I do the OSU campus and I typically go in at 8, dispatch at 8:30-9 and get back at 1600 four out of five days with the fifth day being the late pick up night as we have a rotation set. I make a base of $45k, bonus when I reach a certain stop count, and have a company FXG vn I can drive back and forth to home, but have no benefits as my wife carries her and the kids through her job.

Like any delivery position, some days are good and some are bad, some heavy and some light. When you are a younger driver you ride the emotional rollar coaster way more frequently and as you age and learn the routes you learn to roll with it. Still, of the two companies, I would encourage you to go Brown. They are literally the gold standard for drivers. EVERYONE aspires to be UPS drivers because of the benefits and if you aren't committed to FXG, totally go Brown.

I am leaving my "comfort" to go seasonal at Brown for the chance. I have talked to 20+ drivers in my area and all say if I can put up good numbers, I am in. Been hearing Columbus is short drivers right now and supervisors are out delivering. I think there might be more to it than that, but at face value, it's a chance. Spoke to the station manager and he said he can get me in the door too. Who knows, I personally think I have the ability as I have never met a stronger FXG driver in person, but being that it is a Union, I totally get the bureaucracy and rules for being laid off too.

I've heard of "scratching" which is a fun topic and seems either A) Unattainable or B) Totally attainable. I get the concept as far as coming under the allotted time for the route, which I think is all it is.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

GroundGame----scratching is a very simple concept. If you have a 9 hour planned day and do it in 8.5 hours you are .5 hours under. If you do it 9 hours you have scratched. If you do it in 9.5 hours you are .5 hours over. If you do it in 11 hours you are 2 hours over and are a slug.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
GroundGame----scratching is a very simple concept. If you have a 9 hour planned day and do it in 8.5 hours you are .5 hours under. If you do it 9 hours you have scratched. If you do it in 9.5 hours you are .5 hours over. If you do it in 11 hours you are 2 hours over and are a slug.
GroundGame.. Scratching is a company carrot to get drivers to go faster...usually mean cutting corners like Dave does.. IE.... Working off the clock setting his truck up.... Guys get VERY creative when it comes to this...have heard of guys having their partner come out on route to help load truck during heavy pickups....total scam.

Thanks guys. Well, this isn'r my first rodeo when it comes to delivering. I am pumped to have a challenge again and basically don't want to be the guy the Union friend/T guys have to come help during peak. I am gathering that taking break and reorganizing after Next Day Air's is the standard, whether it is taught, or just a learned behavior.

I have alot to unlearn but everything that I have implemented in my route which has made my owner more money have been something I ripped off from the UPS model anyway. I kill the truck every stop and close bulk head door. Need to get used to buckling up every stop and tucking the damn mirror. It's a miracle you guys get things done with all the steps you have. Hell, hiding packages is going to be new for me. As a FXG guy, we will put any and all packages damn near on the sidewalk as long as it's delivered.

You guys are ninjas with where you hide packages. I have ran up on a porch before and literally jumped when I say a package it was hidden so well from street view.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Thanks guys. Well, this isn'r my first rodeo when it comes to delivering. I am pumped to have a challenge again and basically don't want to be the guy the Union friend/T guys have to come help during peak. I am gathering that taking break and reorganizing after Next Day Air's is the standard, whether it is taught, or just a learned behavior.

I have alot to unlearn but everything that I have implemented in my route which has made my owner more money have been something I ripped off from the UPS model anyway. I kill the truck every stop and close bulk head door. Need to get used to buckling up every stop and tucking the damn mirror. It's a miracle you guys get things done with all the steps you have. Hell, hiding packages is going to be new for me. As a FXG guy, we will put any and all packages damn near on the sidewalk as long as it's delivered.

You guys are ninjas with where you hide packages. I have ran up on a porch before and literally jumped when I say a package it was hidden so well from street view.
Except for @IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U .... Who puts the package right in front of the door so granny comes out onto her front porch and falls.... Such a d!@k!! And btw he is no ninja.... Trust me on this