Disability?!?

BigBrownboxx

I recently ad my apendix rupture and had it removed this morning (not work related).. Doc said no work for two weeks? should i get disability or? what should i say when i call in Monday Morning ? thanks guys i’m 18 never done this before.

john chesney

I recently ad my apendix rupture and had it removed this morning (not work related).. Doc said no work for two weeks? should i get disability or? what should i say when i call in Monday Morning ? thanks guys i’m 18 never done this before.
I can’t remember the wait time for short term disability I don’t think it’s worth it or maybe even possible for 2 weeks off. Call in Monday have all documentation if the ask for it do it immediately. After you’ve been there for years you’ll wish your appendix would blow up again just to get time off

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I recently had my apendix rupture and had it removed this morning (not work related).. Doc said no work for two weeks? should i get disability or? what should i say when i call in Monday Morning ? thanks guys i’m 18 never done this before.

Call the company, an hour before your start time.

Explain your medical situation.

Being only 18 and a part-time employee, you don't have the accrued time for FMLA.

Less than a year employment.... you might not have benefits yet.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
i have benefits, been there 16 months!
FMLA, call as soon as possible, explain the injury, have someone fax some kind of evidence to your local teamsters.
You may be required to use paid sick time and optional weeks.

FMLA requires 1250 hours, this equates to around 24 hours per week.
I don't know what action you would take then. But I average 35 easily on PT (lowest ever this year was 23.9 hours) so hopefully that does not matter.

Last edited:

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I think wait time for short term is 1 week, might be different in other areas besides Georgia. If you’re going to be out, like someone else said, burn an option day or file for short term ASAP. If you don’t get a report for the week your insurance premiums aren’t paid which means you aren’t covered.

rod

Retired 22 years
Above all make sure the doctor knows you have a strenuous job (if so)---you may need longer than a couple of weeks to recoup. Your Center Manager or Sup will probably want to diagnose you over the phone-- just remember they aren't real doctors even though they thinks they are..

Safebychoice

Maybe I’m missing something here but I feel like this policy is so messed up. Of all the talking points contract wise I never understood why this issue hasn’t been addressed. Dude has his appendix rupture and he could lose his insurance if he doesn’t act fast. If you work here and have an unfortunate medical situation like this outside of work you should in no way lose your insurance because you can’t punch in for a week. Just my two cents.

ManInBrown

Maybe I’m missing something here but I feel like this policy is so messed up. Of all the talking points contract wise I never understood why this issue hasn’t been addressed. Dude has his appendix rupture and he could lose his insurance if he doesn’t act fast. If you work here and have an unfortunate medical situation like this outside of work you should in no way lose your insurance because you can’t punch in for a week. Just my two cents.
You don’t lose your insurance. Once you go on either comp or disability you are automatically OK. And it’s retroactive so if he calls tomorrow but for some reason it takes a week for the paperwork to be approved it dates back to when he reported the issue. He’s fine insurance wise. He needs to call Aetna first thing tomorrow morning if he plans on filing for disability. Not sure who you call for comp.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
i have benefits, been there 16 months!

Cool.

Then you need to apply for short term disability.

FMLA, call as soon as possible, explain the injury, have someone fax some kind of evidence to your local teamsters.
You may be required to use paid sick time and optional weeks.

FMLA requires 1250 hours, this equates to around 24 hours per week.
I don't know what action you would take then. But I average 35 easily on PT (lowest ever this year was 23.9 hours) so hopefully that does not matter.

If he has the hours.

Section 6. Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)

"All employees who have worked for the Company for a minimum of twelve (12) months and worked at least 1250 hours during the past twelve (12) months are eligible for unpaid leave as set forth in the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993.

Additionally, any employee not covered above, that has worked for the Company for a minimum of thirty-six (36) months and accrued at least 625 paid hours during the past twelve (12) months is eligible for unpaid leave as set forth below, except that the amount of leave allowed will be computed at one half (1/2) of the time provid- ed by the FMLA."

http://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/6161478090_master_final.pdf

I think wait time for short term is 1 week,

In most plans, it's 8 days.

The OP needs to contact his insurance plan to get the ball rolling.

Giving his carrier a heads up, will solve a lot of problems.

-Bug-

Last edited:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
98__appendix-side-effects.jpg

BigBrownboxx

Cool.

Then you need to apply for short term disability.

If he has the hours.

Section 6. Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)

"All employees who have worked for the Company for a minimum of twelve (12) months and worked at least 1250 hours during the past twelve (12) months are eligible for unpaid leave as set forth in the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993.

Additionally, any employee not covered above, that has worked for the Company for a minimum of thirty-six (36) months and accrued at least 625 paid hours during the past twelve (12) months is eligible for unpaid leave as set forth below, except that the amount of leave allowed will be computed at one half (1/2) of the time provid- ed by the FMLA."

http://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/6161478090_master_final.pdf

In most plans, it's 8 days.

The OP needs to contact his insurance plan to get the ball rolling.

Giving his carrier a heads up, will solve a lot of problems.

-Bug-
do you guys know HR NUMBER
Do you pay union dues?
yes sir

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I think wait time for short term is 1 week, might be different in other areas besides Georgia. If you’re going to be out, like someone else said, burn an option day or file for short term ASAP. If you don’t get a report for the week your insurance premiums aren’t paid which means you aren’t covered.
Depends on accident or illness. Accident it starts immediately. Illness it starts after a week off.

Mike57

Mine.didn't rupture,of.course I'm.ALOT older than you,but I was told I had to be OFF 1 month.I had mine scoped out,so.they didn't need to open me up.
Still hurt lime heck though....
Hate to say this,but do.what the doctor says. You WILL be SORE for a while.