Disaster Recovery

Dfigtree

<<As someone who works closely with D/R I know for a fact that within 6 hours "mission critical" systems will be up and running, spare LPARS on the other site's m/fs would be up and running and decisions will be made about what non-critical apps should be brought up>>

Fireman,

You don't know for a fact anything. You have not tested what you want me to buy as truth. YOU may believe it. SHOW ME THE MONEY!

I am asking when was the last time that an end to end disaster recovery test was done for either RR or WW. A complete recovery. Like the ones that are required of financial institutions. The veracity of what you say cannot be borne out until and unless the tests are run. As I stated earlier, after a complete test has been run without any running back for forgotten data sets and files and control cards, etc. THEN I will believe we have performed due diligence as to Business Continuity. But all I hear is TALK. NO ACTION. DO THE TESTS. Show the shareholders that we can recover from a complete wipe out of one data center. Don't just tell what's going to happen. Show me. Don't just put out memos. Show me.

AirTechSpec

The Air Group in Louisville has had a formal DR plan for several years that we practice at least once a year. We set up a complete FAA-compliant system at an alternate site in ~3 hours (after everybody gets there), and operate the airline from it to make sure it works. We are one of the few places at UPS that is a truly 24/7 operation, with planes in the air world-wide all the time, so it's seen as a good thing to do. I think the Mahwah group is getting more serious about it because of our work.

BTW, it's a PITA because sups do all the work for comp-time, which isn't always given back.

Dfigtree

AirTechSpec said:
The Air Group in Louisville has had a formal DR plan for several years that we practice at least once a year. We set up a complete FAA-compliant system at an alternate site in ~3 hours (after everybody gets there), and operate the airline from it to make sure it works. We are one of the few places at UPS that is a truly 24/7 operation, with planes in the air world-wide all the time, so it's seen as a good thing to do. I think the Mahwah group is getting more serious about it because of our work.

The Mahwah group cannot do what you do. They have never tested a full recovery and to the best of my knowledge they have no plans to. Without a plan, failure comes as a complete surprise.