Discharged for returning to the building with packages

35years

Gravy route
Like I've read in different post, they say that it is the Steward's job to get in contact with the Business Agent. Is it procedure for them just to go ahead and contact the BA or is that something that needs to be brought up or just done by the employee?
He should call the Business Agent himself. When you get terminated, you had better be proactive.

35years

Gravy route
When someone loses and then gets their job back, do they begin at the bottom as a new driver or do they pick up where they were before?
They retain seniority. Occasionally as part of the agreement to stay employed a driver might lose thier route. But that is usually when there is some conflict with a customer.

If all that you have posted is accurate...My opinion (for what it is worth...nothing) is he will get the job back, especially since they made it a suspension for a bit. They will probably make him sweat and keep him off for a bit though...

Did management admit outloud that they said it was his call to finish the stops?

whoknows

They retain seniority. Occasionally as part of the agreement to stay employed a driver might lose thier route. But that is usually when there is some conflict with a customer.

If all that you have posted is accurate...My opinion (for what it is worth...nothing) is he will get the job back, especially since they made it a suspension for a bit. They will probably make him sweat and keep him off for a bit though...

Did management admit outloud that they said it was his call to finish the stops?
Yes. He called the sup and he told him that it was his call. After the meeting the managers asked that sup about it and he did tell them that he told him to make that judgement call.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Yes. He called the sup and he told him that it was his call. After the meeting the managers asked that sup about it and he did tell them that he told him to make that judgement call.

The not sheeting half the packages would be considered dishonesty, as such a terminable offense. As others have said, he will probably get his job back, but he'll need to fight for it.

35years

Gravy route
The way it played out; manager not knowing what the sup had said... Sounds to me like the supervisor messed up by authorizing not doing the stops. Then perhaps to save his own ass he says to the manager...well I didn't tell him to skip writing them up as missed. So then they could blame the driver to the division manager and save the supervisor. If the division or district manager does not know the whole story, it may be better for the Center manager if the details don't come out...give the driver his job back, hence the switch to suspension. Then the district manager puts the foot down and says someone needs to be fired for this.... Driver is at the bottom.

Driver still messed up not sheeting as missed. Has he been told in the past not to sheet any packages? I take pictures of the Diad when they tell me not to sheet missed pkgs (happened many times).

Last edited:

clean hairy

I think I know quite a bit about it, maybe not. You could try to ask the questions - or help me understand even more? I just asked about the union rep because I've seen several other post say that if the union rep was there then they contact the BA. You only contact the BA if the union rep "doesnt know how to or want to do their job."

I have so many questions that he doesn't even know because he has never been in this type of situation.
It would help if your friend would come on here and give us the details.
Then, he would get better answers.

I hate waiting for answers and I feel like enough isn't being done. I just need more opinions and information as I do not work at UPS but a very close friend does. One night my friend was working and he had several packages on a UHaul, no organization or method of the packages. My friend had a lot of trouble finding them so the ones he could not find, he documented it (idk how that works, but he said he did it properly). He then goes about delivering the rest and before he knows it, it is pitch black outside and he is in a sketchy area of town, so he feels unsafe. He called whatever sup that was on duty and told them that he felt unsafe but he still had several packages to deliver and the sup tells him if he doesn't feel safe then he can make that call on whether to come back or not. He didn't get around to doubling back to the other packages he missed earlier in the day, so 20 or so packages were not delivered. The next day, he went in and he was discharged. They told him that it wasn't unsafe, but how do they know that? They said he just didn't want to deliver those packages. Might I add, they are all the time yelling at everyone about over-time and their center is an absolute mess and EVERYONE has overtime. He has never been in any kind of trouble, this is the very first time. He usually just does whatever they tell him without question. Anyone care to give some input? Thanks!
Do you people make his questions up?

whoknows

The way it played out; manager not knowing what the sup had said... Sounds to me like the supervisor messed up by authorizing not doing the stops. Then perhaps to save his own ass he says to the manager...well I didn't tell him to skip writing them up as missed. So then they could blame the driver to the division manager and save the supervisor. If the division or district manager does not know the whole story, it may be better for the Center manager if the details don't come out...give the driver his job back, hence the switch to suspension. Then the district manager puts the foot down and says someone needs to be fired for this.... Driver is at the bottom.

Driver still messed up not sheeting as missed. Has he been told in the past not to sheet any packages? I take pictures of the Diad when they tell me not to sheet missed pkgs (happened many times).
I mean yeah, at his center they honestly have NEVER said anything before about not sheeting a package because he though they always marked it as scanned when it gets back to the building. I feel like it’s worth something that he has never had disciplinary action against him. I understand it’s a big mistake but I don’t feel like it’s such a mistake that it could not have been taken care of with a written warning. I mean other drives to worse or the same every day and they all still have their jobs. That center is such a wreck right now I know that supervisors are getting hell from all directions about several things.

Last edited:

Observer

Your friend should have written all of them up. When he doesn't get any response from the stewards, etc. document date and time, etc. of how many times he has been trying to get this resolved. I hate to state it - but you might try the NLRB. Some of them are not connected to the company. In a larger city - USPS and the company somehow always win. Good luck to your friend. You really have to fight for yourself. I think you've seen how the pipeline union members have been treated.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
7CE9EB5B-C36C-4A35-A497-44A62526CC25.jpeg

Whereistheunion

I hate waiting for answers and I feel like enough isn't being done. I just need more opinions and information as I do not work at UPS but a very close friend does. One night my friend was working and he had several packages on a UHaul, no organization or method of the packages. My friend had a lot of trouble finding them so the ones he could not find, he documented it (idk how that works, but he said he did it properly). He then goes about delivering the rest and before he knows it, it is pitch black outside and he is in a sketchy area of town, so he feels unsafe. He called whatever sup that was on duty and told them that he felt unsafe but he still had several packages to deliver and the sup tells him if he doesn't feel safe then he can make that call on whether to come back or not. He didn't get around to doubling back to the other packages he missed earlier in the day, so 20 or so packages were not delivered. The next day, he went in and he was discharged. They told him that it wasn't unsafe, but how do they know that? They said he just didn't want to deliver those packages. Might I add, they are all the time yelling at everyone about over-time and their center is an absolute mess and EVERYONE has overtime. He has never been in any kind of trouble, this is the very first time. He usually just does whatever they tell him without question. Anyone care to give some input? Thanks!
He should have scanned them as (missed) when he got back to the building at worst he would have gotten a warning letter NO SCANS IS A LOT LIKE JOB abandonment. No scans will be hard to explain at the hearing.