Dishonest Management Practice?

G

getstuck

Dannyboy,
what district are you from? My district (one with a big white house) doesn't report an accident unless they hit a police car! Every car has accident damage on it. Stuck drivers is the most common break down and there are no accident reports.

W

wornoutupser

flupser,
Are you certain that we dont work in the same building?
We also have a large amount of diesels that were blown because of gas in the tanks.....
As to the stuck in the middle of the road problem,that area is now totally UNDER water due to the flooding around here-if you are who I think you are!
If you are, you are a credit to the company for the job that you do!

P

proups

"We also have a large amount of diesels that were blown because of gas in the tanks....."

Whose fault is gas in a diesel tank???
oops.gif

O

ok2bclever

That one is one of the few simple ones.

100% the driver's fault.

I don't care if your tired, sick or were not told it was a diesel.

If you cannot tell a diesel from a gas burner upon start up you should not be considered a professional driver and shouldn't be out on the public roads anyways.
biggrin.gif

W

wornoutupser

Several of the drivers insist that the pump was diesel that they bought from. (We have to buy onroad).
If this can be proved, the drivers should be cleared. We are now required to turn in our receipts at night to back up the purchase.

D

dannyboy

Get stuck, Tennessee district.

FE

You just shot yourself in the buttocks. AGAIN, no less!!!!

Your statement shows that you have never sat on a panel hearing discharges. If you had, you would totally realise how stupid your statement is. Fact is, with your silly statement, you have again shown yourself as someone that has very limited experience with UPS management, especially upper management like you wish us to believe.

Any damage to the car of any kind, any time your vehicle is stuck to where you can not drive it off, anytime your car comes in contact with anything out on the road here is considered an accident. Period. And anytime you cover up such, if caught, it is considered an act of dishonesty which you all know is a cardinal sin.

Care to talk more? I can give you several instances where drivers had hearings before the panel on this subject. Some came back to work, some didnt. And one that I know of had to wait for over a year before his was heard, the whole time being off work. All because of a cracked mirror.

So please FE, if you dont have experience on this subject, just shut the heck up, will ya?

Best to ya

d

F

feguy

Well, since you asked.
Yes, I personally, ME, got a package car stuck, on a road shoulder,not even the main road, and required a tow truck to get it out.
No accident, no paperwork, no notation on my Pittsburgh, nothing.
Not sure if it meets your definition of "personal experience" but it does mine. Sorry I remain a source of irritation to you. Of course, the Tennessee district could be different, since I "personally" know NOTHING about that district, having never set foot in it.

F

feguy

Oh, and since you brought it up, I have sat on a panel hearing discharges. Only twice, but sat on them I have, and many other times on panels hearing lesser discipline. But enough about me.

O

ok2bclever

"Silly", that's a really naive or stupid thing to say, I thought you said you worked for us FE, where for goodness sakes?

The stuck thing seems to be a "call" by management, but if you cost them money (wrecker call) you are open for an accident claim (property damage or vehicle contact with anything beyond the ground is an automatic).

I can understand a mindfogged fatigued driver making a mistake (that won't excuse it, but it is understandable.

However, if you are going to make a defense of "the pump said gas" a termination for dishonesty is far more likely than being able to prove a public fuel station has a mislabled pump.

D

dannyboy

FE

Actually, after some long soul searching, I do believe you are a high ranking UPS manager.

Your posts lead me to believe that you are what you claim. And the disconect that you have from the front lines would lead me to believe that you are probably in atlanta, in one of the corner offices with at least one secretary. That would explain so much about your posts and the relevance to the way UPS works.

See in your world, you say something is, and it is. You say the drivers should all be delivering 20 stops an hour and work 8.75 days, and it is done. Everything in your world is fixed by the time the paperwork gets to you. so you dont have a clue as to what happens day in and out.

I am so sorry I mistook you for a kook. Now that I understand the problem, I will be able to post to your understanding and capability. I will also instruct all the other posters not to post anything foreign to what you would see in your corner office, and everything is roses here in the trenches.

Once again, please forgive me for not believing you.

d

T

teddyr

What a coincidence, the same thing happened to me and all they did was call a tow truck, pull me out, end of story. There was no accident charged or mention of it ever again, not even when I returned to the bldg that night. The tow truck almost got stuck trying to pull me out.

D

dannyboy

"Sorry, but your statement (my statement on a new driver being knocked out of delivery for getting stuck and being charged with an accident) is false."

Well then for all the vast experience you possess, and in sitting on several panels, your complete experience must have been very sheltered. And for your information, panels hear many things that have nothing to do with discipline, but of course you knew that! You just forgot to post it.

Good for you in not being charged with your accident, and I find that "nothing" being said or done a lack of proper response from the center team. But I have heard they do things like that for the 30 day wonders that have been through the system.

I happen to live in a house now that a driver lost his job over when he clipped the basketball goal, not doing any damage to either goal or truck. He was fired after he offered to personally buy the owner a new goal, complete with installation, even though there was no damage.

btw, the goal is still there, just like it was then.

I do know of several drivers in our center that have successfully covered over "accidents" and have not been charged. But they faced the real threat of being terminated if found out.

As for irritation that you refer to, that comes from a supposedly mature experienced manager, making childish sweeping statements like yours.

d

(Message edited by dannyboy on August 15, 2005)

A

air_upser

Wow, these threads always seem to get personal. Based on what everyone is saying, it looks like "accidents" are handled differently from center to center or district to district. Some follow the rules to the letter, others bend them a little.

When I first read the scenario danny layed out, I thought not reporting was the right thing to do. It saves a good(assuming) driver a job.

Then I started thinking about the fallout. What if the same thing happens to someone else and you report it as an accident? Favoritism? Grievance? etc. As I have said in other posts, sometimes you get burned trying to do, what you think, is the right thing. But who wouldn't help the UPS guy/gal out of the snowbank???

Just a disclaimer- I have no on-road expereince....just experience with support staff(non-union). My only experience with this type of thing is the UPS driver in Florida knocking down my parent's mailbox. He came on the weekend and fixed it himself. Honestly, I didn't know he could have gotten fired, but my parents thought it was an honest, honorable thing to do....and love UPS that much more
clapbounce.gif

(Message edited by air_upser on August 15, 2005)

D

dannyboy

I would not be above doing something like that myself. But I have seen people burned for trying to do the right thing.

As for personal issues, if you post here, and post like you know what you are talking about, be prepared to defend the position. Esp if you portray yourself as a done and seen it all type of manager. And if you are shown to be a fake, better invest in fire proof undies, cause you gonna need them.

d

(Message edited by dannyboy on August 15, 2005)

G

gman

We had a driver back into a drive and bump a very old deteriorating planter next to the driveway, and it basically fell apart. He appologized and the guy said no problem. The next day, he takes out two new planters in an honest gesture to replace the old ones and the guy went nuts! He didn't want the old ones and now his wife wanted him plant new ones. Fortunately he didn't call the center to complain or the nice delivery driver or he would have been unemployed by now. Well maybe not. He usually runs over an hour early so they may have overlooked it, if you know what I mean.

X

xracer

The cover driver on my area has a few unreported hit and run property damage accidents on my route and he is one of those hour paid under drivers that was mentioned earlier. In one instance he nosed into a driveway dropped the package at the consignee's front gate instead of walking the 50 extra yards to the front door and then proceeded to back into the road in the process he ran over this persons mailbox got out inspected his handywork looked around for witnesses and then immediately took off. The woman called in a complaint seeking restitution for the damage. After a week or two of no response from UPS the woman than asked me what was going on in regards to her complaint upon which I immediately called the center to try and get a progress report and the supervisor said that he had spoken to the driver and he said he didn't do it and the woman could not see the mailbox from her house and must be lying about witnessing the accident, I stated to the supervisor that I am standing on her porch presently and can clearly see the mailbox. Nothing further came of this and the driver was never charged with an accident. So I guess there is some merit to the phrase a former center manager always said to me "scratch has its privileges".

F

feguy

Someone is claiming I am a high ranking manager, and working in Atlanta? Wow.
Well, since neither is true, you simply look foolish once again. It's ok, you've been wrong before, we all know that, you'll be wrong again, we all know that.
Let's see, what else can I clear up? Oh, yes, nobody is advocating "not reporting" getting stuck and/or needing help getting unstuck. The theme of this thread is whether or not what, as good drivers, we are reporting is an accident.
No, it's not.
Let me know if you're having trouble with anything else that's been posted. I'm here to help!