Disparaging comments.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I've learned over the years that only those with less intelligence or uncontrollable tempers need to yell, cuss, and degrade others to get their point across. When I was in the military the only drill instructors that came close to being intimidating were the ones that could get their point across to a recruit in a calm, yet stern, fashion. They were the ones that had a quiet, laid back calm and collective aurora about them and would just tell a recruit how it is. You could almost feel their presence without seeming them enter the room. If you screwed up they would tell so and tell you how to fix it. No sugar coating but no rediculous yelling and spitting like the others thought they had to do. Most of that crap was just acting anyway. I mean come on.....is someone really going to get that mad at an 18 year old, zit faced kid for getting out of step during a march? I don't think so. This applies to civilian life as well.

The best supervisors are the ones that can give criticism in the same manor in which they gave praise. People should use their brains to their points across. Not their wind pipes. I don't believe in coddling but the other extreme is just the opposite side of the same coin.

All of this is well and good. You're correct, an act it was; probably an effective one at that.

The manager knew / knows he is in the wrong breakign the contract, having air drivers pickup and deliver missorts from other drivers daily.

His infuriation and frankly insulting comments and attitude was not directly towards the person he was communicating negatively with - that was just setting the example and blowing the good ole' smoke screen (which most of us have seen in our dahys) - the employee also in the office at that time doing the dirty misload work would catch on and certainly not step out of line or grieve for the money they deserve! - work as directed , even if it's clearly against the contract!

This is obviously intimidation and harrassment towards both people, but especially the air driver working misloads so the preload and managers numbers look good and there is no interference with this process.

Another day at UPS. Life goes on...

DS

Fenderbender
Griff,filing a grievance because they told you to sheet "B" for bad weather gets you what? So what if you think its unfair to the customer.
They own he company,you just work there.What would this accomplish other than piss them off ?
BTW in this day and age tie could be in his car getting back at the man
nude in his car on his cell,inbetween flipping through "American trucker"
magazine looking for miscreants so he can ruin thier lives.
On the other hand,upper management reads "Envision" ,the ups management newsletter, with cruise control on so they have a free hand,if ya know what I mean.

Brownnblue

Remember the drill sargent in basic. Kicking your but , cursing and swearing to get your best out of you.

Now we send them to sensitivity training to learn how to coddle the recruits.

watch the ncaa coaches during march madness. You won't see too many speaking softly.

Remember Tony Dungy leading his Indianapolis Colts to a Super Bowl victory, without ever raising his voice? He stresses being a teacher first. He certainly did not have to yell, curse, & swear to "get the best" out of his players.

I certainly don't claim to be a basketball guru, but perhaps if those coaches you speak of spend more time teaching their players tactical and technical applications, they would be better off.

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
If someone is offending you just tell them so and ask them to stop. If they continue to harass, seek out your Union Rep.

well you could go your union rep but it really doesnt go anywhere after that. I find it when you go to the HR gods at UPS, a manager gets really scared to talk to you again:happy2:

tieguy

Banned
Griff,filing a grievance because they told you to sheet "B" for bad weather gets you what? So what if you think its unfair to the customer.
They own he company,you just work there.What would this accomplish other than piss them off ?
BTW in this day and age tie could be in his car getting back at the man
nude in his car on his cell,inbetween flipping through "American trucker"
magazine looking for miscreants so he can ruin thier lives.
On the other hand,upper management reads "Envision" ,the ups management newsletter, with cruise control on so they have a free hand,if ya know what I mean.

yikes . You and griff have some strange fantasys going on:happy-very:

Hillboy

I once had a supervisor who ran his vulger mouth once too often. I bought a small, concealable recorder that I kept just for him. Didn't take to long for him to mouth off again. I shut his tantrums down without a single word except for "Hey, listen to this."

brownIEman

well you could go your union rep but it really doesnt go anywhere after that. I find it when you go to the HR gods at UPS, a manager gets really scared to talk to you again:happy2:

BINGO-

Here is a point many union reps want you to miss. They want your loyalty to be ONLY to them. But you are not only a union member, you are also an employee of UPS. Which means you are the responsibility of the union, AND the HR department. Now, while I have absolutely no beef with filing a grievance and getting the BA involved if you are being truly harassed, you should definitely call the help line or get HR involved. Why? Simple, your BA has no authority whatsoever to do more than annoy your center manager and make his life at work a pain. The district HR manager on the other hand, has the authority to get him demoted and or fired, and that in relatively short order given the inclination and proper circumstances.

UPS Lifer

Keep repeating it, but it won't just magically come true. I've been instructed by my "superiors" many times to defraud a customer. In management's eyes it wasn't bad, it's a numbers game and nothing more. Nobody cares about the person on the other end, you know the person who actually pays for the service. Recently I was ordered to put in NDA stops as weather delay because I didn't get on area until after 1030. I worked as directed, but let my feelings on the issue be known. I filed a grievance over it because I shouldn't have to lie and cheat a customer because my "superior" has numbers to make. You guys wouldn't know integrity if it ran you over in broad daylight.

Here is another take on what probably really happened. After all there are certain folks out here that tend to color the truth (to put it mildly!) Management or retired management has the right to refute crazy accusations!

The above person probably didn't get on area until after 10:30 because of the weather. OH! Doesn't that make it a weather delay???

The reason I say this is the area he works (I use this lightly) in has had nothing but snow for a good month now!!!!!

HEY GRIFF! Just do the job and quit your b*tchen! Oh! I'm sorry, that is probably a disparaging comment!
:bigsmile2:

tieguy

Banned
Here is another take on what probably really happened. After all there are certain folks out here that tend to color the truth (to put it mildly!) Management or retired management has the right to refute crazy accusations!

The above person probably didn't get on area until after 10:30 because of the weather. OH! Doesn't that make it a weather delay???

The reason I say this is the area he works (I use this lightly) in has had nothing but snow for a good month now!!!!!

HEY GRIFF! Just do the job and quit your b*tchen! Oh! I'm sorry, that is probably a disparaging comment!

now lifer if Griff wants to say he was instructed to committ dishonesty then the next question is did he do it? If he knowlingly believes he was instructed to committ dishonesty and he followed those instructions then griff needs to turn himself into LP for further actions.:happy-very:

UPS Lifer

Remember Tony Dungy leading his Indianapolis Colts to a Super Bowl victory, without ever raising his voice? He stresses being a teacher first. He certainly did not have to yell, curse, & swear to "get the best" out of his players.

I certainly don't claim to be a basketball guru, but perhaps if those coaches you speak of spend more time teaching their players tactical and technical applications, they would be better off.

I wholly agree with this concept but I also believe that you do need respectful discipline and accountability and there is a time and a place for both.

We have a responsibility to teach, train and enlighten the people we work with up and down the ladder. Negative energy in the workplace (or for that matter anywhere) does no one any good at all.

Griff

The reason I didn't get out on area was most certainly not due to weather. Why would I have a problem with coding it as such if it was truly because of weather? Thank you for the assumption and your blind arrogant attitude when I out your friends in management. I also enjoy the fact you are now calling me a liar and claiming that I embellish things that I say on this site. It hasn't snowed here in quite a few weeks, thanks for your meteorology report though Einstein.

HEY UPS LIFER! I do the job everyday and I'll call criminals and liars out whenever I feel like it, you can't do a damn thing about it.

Griff

now lifer if Griff wants to say he was instructed to committ dishonesty then the next question is did he do it? If he knowlingly believes he was instructed to committ dishonesty and he followed those instructions then griff needs to turn himself into LP for further actions.:happy-very:

I was instructed to do something and I did it, I work as directed, read the contract. I work as directed now and I grieve later, that's how teamster thugs like myself roll.

Take note everyone that UPS Lifer and LIEGUY both completely ignore the prospect or notion that management is dishonest, they shift the blame onto me immediately. I guess we have found the opposite of a teamster goon, two management goons.

UPS Lifer

You are so predictable....Thanks for the good laugh! I still have a smile on my face.

I guess Tie was right then. Your boss told you to put weather delay in the DIAD and you did knowing full well that it was a lie. In that case you are just as guilty!

Your credibility is non-existent! Don't try and sugar coat it by saying that you "work as directed". Be a man! Take responsibility for YOUR actions. Nobody was holding a gun to your head to make you lie by putting dishonest info into the DIAD! You did that all by yourself. You pride yourself on taking "the man" to task any time you can. ..... Just not this time???? It seems to me you would have been happy to have your boss discipline you for putting the truth in the DIAD so that you could start another battle.

So why were you afraid to call out "the man" this time??? I don't understand?

UPS Lifer

I was instructed to do something and I did it, I work as directed, read the contract. I work as directed now and I grieve later, that's how teamster thugs like myself roll.

Take note everyone that UPS Lifer and LIEGUY both completely ignore the prospect or notion that management is dishonest, they shift the blame onto me immediately. I guess we have found the opposite of a teamster goon, two management goons.

So your saying that if your boss tells you to do something wrong, you will go ahead and do something wrong.... no matter what the immediate consequence?

I try and look at things logically. I do understand this may be a stretch for you but I can't understand YOUR logic. Do you really believe that it is OK to complete an action that is wrong, because someone told you to do it?

Do you really believe that gets you off the hook?

I really want to hear what you have to say on this! You are digging yourself into a big hole as it is!!!

Griff

You are so predictable....Thanks for the good laugh! I still have a smile on my face.

I guess Tie was right then. Your boss told you to put weather delay in the DIAD and you did knowing full well that it was a lie. In that case you are just as guilty!

Your credibility is non-existent! Don't try and sugar coat it by saying that you "work as directed". Be a man! Take responsibility for YOUR actions. Nobody was holding a gun to your head to make you lie by putting dishonest info into the DIAD! You did that all by yourself. You pride yourself on taking "the man" to task any time you can. ..... Just not this time???? It seems to me you would have been happy to have your boss discipline you for putting the truth in the DIAD so that you could start another battle.

So why were you afraid to call out "the man" this time??? I don't understand?

You can make all the text red and bold you want. You're claiming that because I follow the contract, I'm just as guilty as the person who is paid to be a decision maker? Nice logic there, boss. I did call him out if you actually read my post, I strongly disagreed with putting it in like that but I was told to work as directed. This was all documented through DIAD messages because I refuse to use my cellphone for UPS business. I filed a grievance and put in a phone call and that center manager no longer works at our building.

Griff

So your saying that if your boss tells you to do something wrong, you will go ahead and do something wrong.... no matter what the immediate consequence?

I try and look at things logically. I do understand this may be a stretch for you but I can't understand YOUR logic. Do you really believe that it is OK to complete an action that is wrong, because someone told you to do it?

Do you really believe that gets you off the hook?

I really want to hear what you have to say on this! You are digging yourself into a big hole as it is!!!

There's no gray area since you seem to be searching for it. This issue is clear, I work as directed, it's that simple. I am not paid to be a decision maker for this company, I'm paid to follow instruction. It obviously does get me off the hook, since he is no longer at our center and I am.

UPS Lifer

You can make all the text red and bold you want. You're claiming that because I follow the contract, I'm just as guilty as the person who is paid to be a decision maker? Nice logic there, boss. I did call him out if you actually read my post, I strongly disagreed with putting it in like that but I was told to work as directed. This was all documented through DIAD messages because I refuse to use my cellphone for UPS business. I filed a grievance and put in a phone call and that center manager no longer works at our building.

Don't hide behind the contract here! Are you going to answer my questions or not!

The only thing that I get out of your last statement is that you take no responsibility for doing something wrong. This is what real integrity is all about. If you had integrity you would have put the real reason the air was late and dealt with the manager when you got back to the building. Griff - how can you expect someone to respect you if you are not willing to do the right thing?

Oh... I switched it up to bold and blue... if you didn't notice

tieguy

Banned

Griff I'm shocked. Are you admitting here in front of the world that you followed instructions you knew to be dishonest. Go fill out the paperwork. Your integrity has been found wanting.:happy-very: