Dispatchers...

HardknocksUPSer

That's when you learn how to snake the load.

I'm sure BB could explain the concept.
I know how to, had to learn that during peak season when my trucks were overloaded, I believe what your talking about is like for example no room left on the 1000 shelf so drop it to the 2000 shelf and continue in order right? If so that's what I was doing.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Get the packages out of the building;
Get the preloaders off of the clock;
Eliminate enough routes to look good on tomorrows report;

Mission accomplished. Go home! The resulting cluster-coitus is now someone else's problem, to deal with, not yours. Sleep easy while your mess is being cleaned up, hopefully you can go in and make an even bigger one tomorrow!

FilingBluesFL

We had three drivers in one neighborhood the other day. Two went to the same house. Sounds effective to me.

I always love this stuff.

I've been on the same residential street delivering one side and another driver delivering the other side.

I've been cut an Early AM or airs for a business, and gotten there the same time as the regular driver.

We look like complete friend'ing morons to our customers, but work as instructed, right?

"Sign his, then sign mine. Thanks!"

PT Car Washer

Remember the old days when no one blinked an eye when the stop count was way way off?
I believe you were suppose to be within a 5 high to 5 low range. Also had a mini/max range for a drivers dispatch. It was all seat of your pants dispatch with some drivers walking up and down the boxline pulling stops off other drivers because they were greedy and other drivers throwing stops out because they wanted off early.

PT Car Washer

You just added 30 to whatever the clicker showed in order to get a good estimate.
We never had the clickers. Just a crayon and a sheet of paper taped to the stop count plate at the rear of the car. Hard to keep track of apartments with multiple stops so just add a few marks to cover yourself.

soberups

I believe you were suppose to be within a 5 high to 5 low range. Also had a mini/max range for a drivers dispatch. It was all seat of your pants dispatch with some drivers walking up and down the boxline pulling stops off other drivers because they were greedy and other drivers throwing stops out because they wanted off early.
The goal was always to get the driver to work through their lunch. So the counter was always low in order to fool the driver into thinking he could get off early if he skipped lunch. By the time he found out he had been scammed, it would be late enough in the day that he would just cave in rather than taking his "lunch" at 6:00 at night.

soberups

In an ideal world, the individual responsible for deciding how many routes to dispatch in the morning would be required to report back to the building at 5:00 that same night so that he could be placed in charge of cleaning up the mess that he made with his superior decision making.

PT Car Washer

The goal was always to get the driver to work through their lunch. So the counter was always low in order to fool the driver into thinking he could get off early if he skipped lunch. By the time he found out he had been scammed, it would be late enough in the day that he would just cave in rather than taking his "lunch" at 6:00 at night.
Back in the day the first stop of the day was breakfast. Of course that was 8:00 start times and no air commits.