Disqualified as a driver... Now a seasonal driver

brownIEman

I get it if sups it center managers don’t want to qualify someone, but telling them it’s ok to drive during peak, only after telling them they can’t drive efficiently enough before isn’t right.

Using the excuse they can afford to take the hit in productivity doesn’t make sense. On top of that, they’ll give these guys helpers to manage. The job has been dumbed down so much, it’s easier than ever to qualify as long as you have two brain cells to rub together. If they don’t, don’t let them on the road.

The hit in production makes perfect sense. Because they are going to take a hit in production whether they dq these guys and just let them go or even pass them into full drivers. Peak drivers, excerpt for the very rare exception, do not perform well and give the center a hit in production. That's why most centers use them only for bulk stops, maybe a few businesses, and pickups. If you have a guy who is not cutting it but has a few days on road, even if he'll never meet performance that would lead to him making book, he's probably way better than the average off the street peak hire. Giving him extra time with the board, the methods, and organizing his load might help him get it. Win-win.

I can't remember ever giving a peak driver a helper, that's a recipe for a blind leading the blind nightmare. I spent enough evenings in occupational clinic waiting rooms with a helper without giving any to peak drivers, thank you very much.

What's behind that bullkhead door has not been dumbed down since PAS/EDD. Getting to the smooth selection skill of never touching the same package more than twice is something you pretty much never see in a peak driver.

Delivery!!!

All new drivers from the last three weeks were disqualified yesterday and told we would be reclassified as seasonal drivers.

After peak they would allow us to start trying again for full time driver. They said with our current numbers, none of us were on a path to qualify. I was on day 18b of driving. My best day was .5 hours over... Most days were 1.5 - 2 hours over.

Union steward said that it was not a big deal and just a paperwork issue.

What will change with being a seasonal driver? What hours should I expect?

Are they just stringing us along through peak to get off us later?
Take a look at the 4th bullet, this is from the centrals tentative agreement.
Screenshot_20181103-200629.png
Screenshot_20181103-200629.png

Froome

Another reason ups cut them loose. If they rehire as temp, ups can count them twice as new hires and apply this to the number of amout of people they sre required to hire. Nothing shady there. Just normal ups practice of manipulating the numbers to their adantage.

brownIEman

Another reason ups cut them loose. If they rehire as temp, ups can count them twice as new hires and apply this to the number of amout of people they sre required to hire. Nothing shady there. Just normal ups practice of manipulating the numbers to their adantage.

I have never heard of any agreement on the number of peak hires UPS needs to make

Froome

It's not the number of peak hires. It's the number of people they are required to hire over the life of the contract they can attribute it to. If I understood the way the contract was written. The number of new hires didn't exclude seasonal workers towards the amout ups is required ti hire. Hire being the key term, not retain.

brownIEman

It's not the number of peak hires. It's the number of people they are required to hire over the life of the contract they can attribute it to. If I understood the way the contract was written. The number of new hires didn't exclude seasonal workers towards the amout ups is required ti hire. Hire being the key term, not retain.

I've never heard of the union asking for a number of hires. Usually the agreement is about the number of jobs or positions created. If they asked only for hires in this contract with no language addressing retention, then your union leaders are truly hopeless and you guys are more screwed than you thought.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
All new drivers from the last three weeks were disqualified yesterday and told we would be reclassified as seasonal drivers.
After peak they would allow us to start trying again for full time driver. They said with our current numbers, none of us were on a path to qualify. I was on day 18b of driving. My best day was .5 hours over... Most days were 1.5 - 2 hours over.
Union steward said that it was not a big deal and just a paperwork issue.
What will change with being a seasonal driver? What hours should I expect?
Are they just stringing us along through peak to get off us later?

You are now a 22.4! Welcome 2nd. class driver!