Disqualified for accident

bigmistake

Scenario: Driving down a busy avenue, speed limit was 35 mph. Blinker was flashing indicating I was going to make a right turn, which I was not, just have a habit of activating turn signal lights way early. A vehicle at an intersection believes I am going to turn right into the street he is pulling out of and pulls out, making a left hand turn. We collided, I believe it's called a T-Bone crash. I was fine, other person was seriously injured, taken by ambulance. Other person was cited and ticketed, determined to be at fault. I was on day 27 of my initial 30 day probation.

Needless to say, I was disqualified. Thinking about giving it another try, was told I had to wait until August. Accident was last May. I would like to hear thoughts about this from any experienced Service Providers out there. Business Agent said I can be dismissed for any reason during the initial 30 days and can not fight this. So I returned to my previous part-time position.

LastBest&Final

To Endeavor To Persevere
Yes, try it again in 3 months. It happens all the time. I have seen people not disqualified for having an accident, but it was a long time ago. Will they make you go to driving school again?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Like they others said, hang in there.
The rules are there for good reason & keep applying them to your normal driving. The most important part of driving is not actually driving, its following the habits.

A

anonymous6

famous words to live by

" Never give in, never,never,never,never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Sir Winston Churchill

City Driver

Scenario: Driving down a busy avenue, speed limit was 35 mph. Blinker was flashing indicating I was going to make a right turn, which I was not, just have a habit of activating turn signal lights way early. A vehicle at an intersection believes I am going to turn right into the street he is pulling out of and pulls out, making a left hand turn. We collided, I believe it's called a T-Bone crash. I was fine, other person was seriously injured, taken by ambulance. Other person was cited and ticketed, determined to be at fault. I was on day 27 of my initial 30 day probation.

Needless to say, I was disqualified. Thinking about giving it another try, was told I had to wait until August. Accident was last May. I would like to hear thoughts about this from any experienced Service Providers out there. Business Agent said I can be dismissed for any reason during the initial 30 days and can not fight this. So I returned to my previous part-time position.

even though its technically the other drivers fault (i think), that is a terrible habit you have...when i am waiting to turn right, and i am looking at the traffic coming, i HATE when i see people with there right signal on who keep goin past you

i always wait until i am clear of the last possible street or parking lot entrance before the street/parking lot im gonna turn right onto to turn on my right signal for that reason

even though its technically the other drivers fault (i think), that is a terrible habit you have...when i am waiting to turn right, and i am looking at the traffic coming, i HATE when i see people with there right signal on who keep goin past you

i always wait until i am clear of the last possible street or parking lot entrance before the street/parking lot im gonna turn right onto to turn on my right signal for that reason
But this is where our trainning comes into play as the other driver in this type of situation. What is described here is a "stale" turn indicator. If that light is flashing when you first see the oncoming vehicle, you have to assume they have not canceled the turn indicator somewhere/how. You treat it as if they have no signal flashing.

new2forum

This is an extremely valuable lesson for everyone out there...vehicles turning right have the right away over vehicles turning left that are coming from the opposite direction. Most people seem to think that it is the opposite and as soon as they see a vehicle with that right turn signal on, they make their turn--illegally. It does not matter if the turn signal is on or not and as evidenced by this drivers experience he or she has relayed. This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine and is why I never use my right turn signal unless it is imperative to signal the drivers behind me i.e. tailgators because if I do, as sure as the sky is blue, someone will make that left turn right in front of me.

As far as trying for a driver again, by all means go for it!

rod

Retired 22 years
I hear if you move to Florida you don't have to use your signals at all. Especially if you have white hair and can barely see over the steering wheel. :happy2:

ups1990

I've made it a habit not to trust anyone's turnsignal. Only after physically seeing a vehicle change directions, do I, proceed accordingly. I, tell my teenage daughter, this exact same thing, do not trust the turnsignal. Don't assume the car will go right or left, when signal indicates. Expect the unexpected.

Please, give it another shot. Your not alone, more senior drivers, also have accidents.

diesel96

I hear if you move to Florida you don't have to use your signals at all. Especially if you have white hair and can barely see over the steering wheel. :happy2:

And look out for the white hair driven vehicle stopping in the middle of the road when Ethel misses her turn into Century Village......

diesel96

Are you talking about the retirement homes in Boca Raton.

Boca, Deerfield Beach and Pembroke Pines all have Century Villages...BTW, what nightmares they were to deliver in my pkg car days......
Many retirement communities down here, big and little. There are some relief during the summer and Hurricane season as far as retiree's and snowbird's, many have homes up north as the temperture and humidity rises.....traffic flows a little less stressfull during those months and a added bonus of school closures.....BTW..good advise as far as not trusting anyone's turnsignals.....

bluehdmc

I've heard them called Q-tips, because all you can see is the white tip of their head from behind.

I've also heard they're coming out with "long distance turn signals" that stay on a minimum of 200 miles. :funny:

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Funny thing I noticed about FL drivers - Outside of FL, they can often be found in the passing lane of the interstate, going 45MPH, with the left blinker on. Funny thing is, in FL everyone goes 127MPH and does not use blinkers at all. Go figure.

Regarding the OP, the law says the other driver got a ticket for failure to yield - that is the law & technically it wasn't your fault. But it was. The directionals are there to tell other drivers what you are planning on doing.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Funny thing I noticed about FL drivers - Outside of FL, they can often be found in the passing lane of the interstate, going 45MPH, with the left blinker on. Funny thing is, in FL everyone goes 127MPH and does not use blinkers at all. Go figure.

Regarding the OP, the law says the other driver got a ticket for failure to yield - that is the law & technically it wasn't your fault. But it was. The directionals are there to tell other drivers what you are planning on doing.
That's not very nice, ya know. Some of us don't belong under that same blanket. JMHO, as always, I think both vehicles were wrong.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
That's not very nice, ya know. Some of us don't belong under that same blanket. JMHO, as always, I think both vehicles were wrong.

Sorry Steve - I know you are right. I think FL drivers have to hit a certain age before the above applies.

Hey, I learned to drive in New Jersey, where the official State motto is "Death Before Yielding"