Disqualified for accident

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Scenario: Driving down a busy avenue, speed limit was 35 mph. Blinker was flashing indicating I was going to make a right turn, which I was not, just have a habit of activating turn signal lights way early. A vehicle at an intersection believes I am going to turn right into the street he is pulling out of and pulls out, making a left hand turn. We collided, I believe it's called a T-Bone crash. I was fine, other person was seriously injured, taken by ambulance. Other person was cited and ticketed, determined to be at fault. I was on day 27 of my initial 30 day probation.

Needless to say, I was disqualified. Thinking about giving it another try, was told I had to wait until August. Accident was last May. I would like to hear thoughts about this from any experienced Service Providers out there. Business Agent said I can be dismissed for any reason during the initial 30 days and can not fight this. So I returned to my previous part-time position.
Other driver was at fault legally. Have you even inquired about the other driver's condition? IMO you were partially to blame because the other driver obviously thought you were turning onto the street he was coming off of. Not only was your turn signal on, but obviously you weren't prepared for that driver to come out in front of you. Any time you are approaching a side street with a vehicle waiting to turn into traffic you should assume they are going to come out in front of you. "Expect the unexpected" means something. Not trying to bust your balls, just saying you should own your responsibility for the accident and at least be decent enough to show concern for the other driver who was hospitalized.

chev

Nightcrawler
Honestly I'm surprised you were not fired. That is considered a Tier III accident. Even if the other driver was at fault, you have the responsibility as a "professional driver", to always expect the unexpected. Your signal indicated a false intention. This was an avoidable accident.
Ok. Ball busting over. Good luck and give it another "go", but for your sake and the sake of others, pay attention to everything and be safe.
:wink2:
If you can, please let us know how the other driver made out.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I was under the assumption that cars sold in Mass (as well as Conn, RI, and southern NH) offered directionals as optional equipment only.

LOL. I have the same impression of Illinois, Indiana, Michigan and Wisconsin. People here'll jump three lanes over--no signal--during rush-hour on the expressway to make an exit. Yes, I have seen wrecks result from this. I'm sure 705red and CACHSux (where have these two gone, anyway??) can attest to this. -Rocky

bigmistake

Thank you ALL for your responses.

As for the condition of the other driver, he was treated and released the same day. I was informed the Package car struck his vehicle just above the drivers side door, making it less traumatic, the side impact airbags also helped. There was never any legal action brought about by him.

It's funny, I also recall giving the "friendly tap" a few seconds before we collided. Either way, I learned a lot from this experience and ready to put it behind me.

Another point I would like to make. If this was such a serious violation that merited my disqualification, why was I given (and accepted) the opportunity to be a Saturday Air Driver.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

As for the condition of the other driver, he was treated and released the same day. I was informed the Package car struck his vehicle just above the drivers side door, making it less traumatic, the side impact airbags also helped. There was never any legal action brought about by him.

It's funny, I also recall giving the "friendly tap" a few seconds before we collided. Either way, I learned a lot from this experience and ready to put it behind me.

Another point I would like to make. If this was such a serious violation that merited my disqualification, why was I given (and accepted) the opportunity to be a Saturday Air Driver.
Our contract says that they cannot use any accidents, during qualification, against us. In other words, it will disqualify you but they can't discipline over it. Maybe you have the same type of language.

(I can't remember if it is NM or in one of our riders)

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Saturday Air Driving is a completely different job, and in no way related or tied to package delivery during the week. It is wholly and completely separate.

City Driver

I saw a sign on the back of a semi that read:
My turn signal is a WARNING not a request.

if i was ever an owner operator i would buy a magnetic sign like that and stick it on the back of every trailer i pull

of course the company wouldnt allow this, we are suppose to kiss the public ass no matter how oblivious they are

UPSNewbie

if i was ever an owner operator i would buy a magnetic sign like that and stick it on the back of every trailer i pull

of course the company wouldnt allow this, we are suppose to kiss the public ass no matter how oblivious they are

I love watching people get in the right turn lane as a rig has its blinker on and "in the center lane." The car in the right hand starts honking when they start their turn. Oh the human race...

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

Because they need you, and prefer paying you as an air driver, rather than as a full time pkg driver.:dissapointed:

Saturday Air Driving is a completely different job, and in no way related or tied to package delivery during the week. It is wholly and completely separate.
Sorta like the difference between FedEx and FedEx Ground?

UPSNewbie

Because they need you, and prefer paying you as an air driver, rather than as a full time pkg driver.:dissapointed:

Sorta like the difference between FedEx and FedEx Ground?

These words made me think about words.

Shouldn't FedEx Express be twice the speed of UPS NDA? Federal Express Express?

City Driver

I love watching people get in the right turn lane as a rig has its blinker on and "in the center lane." The car in the right hand starts honking when they start their turn. Oh the human race...

the driving mistakes some people make makes me wonder how they ever got a drivers license

its very common to see people in the pouring rain when its almost completely dark out with there headlights off driving 10mph over the speed limit in the right lane wheres theres 6 inches of water against the curb and its VERY easy to hydroplane talking on there cell phones absolutely oblivious to the world around them

by biggest pet peeve is definitely tailgaters...i swear to god they piss me off so much.....if i have to stop suddenly you are going to hurt me, cost me alot of money and make me go through alot of smile* i dont want to go through just because you cant stay back off my bumper

when im in my personal vehicle whenever im getting tailgated i call that person out, i have bad temper and road rage problems (off the clock) and i pull to the side of the road and let them pass me then i gun it and ride there ass honking and flashing my high beams if its dark out

i HATE tailgaters, just back the friend* up

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
the driving mistakes some people make makes me wonder how they ever got a drivers license

its very common to see people in the pouring rain when its almost completely dark out with there headlights off driving 10mph over the speed limit in the right lane wheres theres 6 inches of water against the curb and its VERY easy to hydroplane talking on there cell phones absolutely oblivious to the world around them

by biggest pet peeve is definitely tailgaters...i swear to god they piss me off so much.....if i have to stop suddenly you are going to hurt me, cost me alot of money and make me go through alot of smile* i dont want to go through just because you cant stay back off my bumper

when im in my personal vehicle whenever im getting tailgated i call that person out, i have bad temper and road rage problems (off the clock) and i pull to the side of the road and let them pass me then i gun it and ride there ass honking and flashing my high beams if its dark out

i HATE tailgaters, just back the friend* up
There's an inkblot test in the random facts thread, I'd like you to look at.:happy2:

City Driver

i cant help it

how about people who are drinking there starbucks on the interstate and cut me off, me and my 75 feet long 70,000 pound tractor trailer

they think we get pissed off cuz we are *******s....no, we get pissed off cuz if you cut us off then stop quick, you are dead and we are out of a job

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
i cant help it

how about people who are drinking there starbucks on the interstate and cut me off, me and my 75 feet long 70,000 pound tractor trailer

they think we get pissed off cuz we are *******s....no, we get pissed off cuz if you cut us off then stop quick, you are dead and we are out of a job
How about this? Look at your windshield, as if it is a huge TV screen. Start laughing at all of the comedy you see. This will help you out, my friend. I truly believe that if you're driving, and, this angry....you'll be the one dying (killing yourself), while the "morons" continue drinking their Starbucks, cell phone chatting and what have you. As always, this is JMHO!

Last edited: