Do I have cause to file a grievance?

jlphotog

About six months ago I was asked by our center manager to come in 6:00am to help out on pre-load. I said yes. Near the beginning of this year he asked me to come in at 5:30. Again I said yes.

Then this week the pre-load supe informed all drivers that no one was to punch in before our start time which is 8:30. He also said this decision is his and the center manager cannot over ride it.

This has cut 3 hours of OT per day off of me. That equates to a crap load of money each year. Well over 20G’s that I wont make now.

Do I have a case?

About six months ago I was asked by our center manager to come in 6:00am to help out on pre-load. I said yes. Near the beginning of this year he asked me to come in at 5:30. Again I said yes.

Then this week the pre-load supe informed all drivers that no one was to punch in before our start time which is 8:30. He also said this decision is his and the center manager cannot over ride it.

This has cut 3 hours of OT per day off of me. That equates to a crap load of money each year. Well over 20G’s that I wont make now.

Do I have a case?
The first thing I would do is go ask the Center manager. Isn't he the preload sups boss?

ikoi62

The first thing I would do is go ask the Center manager. Isn't he the preload sups boss?
that depends,in a small building maybe,i large buildings not so much.
and i don't think you can file for loss of ot, unless its a seniority issue.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I think that this should come down to whoever is paying you the hours. If the Center Manager is telling you to start, then it should be out of the Center's hours, not the Preload. I would think that the Center Manager outranks the Perload Sup, but of course IE has the power over everyone. You "work as directed" by your Center Manager, not the Preload. I would let those two fuss about whose budget your pay comes out of.

2Slow

It is preload work, and if they have part time preload people available to do it, then they have dibs.

But... If managment starts doing the work, you can grieve that. Considering that you are willing to do the work, You will almost certainly win.

Do drivers around you have work that they would like to get rid of? I know in my center it would be very easy to come up with some extra work pretty much every day...

jlphotog

The problem in out ctr is they don't have enough drivers, pre-loaders or even mechanics. HR interviews people everyday.

I don't really want the extra hours at the end of the day beyond what I already do. I'm done my area by 16:30 then I help someone with pu's almost every day. I liked it the way things were. I'm punched out no later 18:30 and home my 19:00. (I'm a morning person) 12 hours a day. 3 on pre-load 9 at driving. I hit OT at 14:30 that way.

But things have slowed down in the past week, (peak is finally over) So I guess the pre-load supe thinks, thanks for your help, now I don't need you, so go away. Nice gratitude for helping them through the tough times, huh.

I got used to taking home that extra 300-400 a week and it's really going to hurt now.

Jlp, I'm not accusing you of anything and take your post at face value.
In our center, we have a few FT drivers that really like working the pre load so they can get home earlier with a little lighter load to deliver. Seeing how starting at 5:30 their 12 hour max worked day would end at 18:30, they obviously can't deliver a 10 hour planned day. This requires that stops be moved to fellow drivers already going out with heavy planned days to compensate. Is that part of your reasoning?

over9five

Staff member
Jlp. you really have to start watching, and find out how the work you USED to do for them is getting done now.

If it is being done by a sup, grieve it.

If it's being done by less senior drivers, grieve it.

If it's being done by off the clock drivers, grieve it.

If the preload can handle it, you have no beef it's not your job.

jlphotog

trplnkl, that is not my reasoning at all. That 12 hour rule seems to be only a guide line in our ctr. Last week I was over 12 hours everyday and no one said a word to me about it. In fact the Friday before x-mas I did 15.5 hours. Punched in at 05:30, punched out at 21:00 and went code 5.

I take what ever comes down the line for me. Except for the occasional huge piece that comes down the belt after my truck is already full.

OK your latest post came while I was typing mine.
The money is not the only issue, if it were you would gladly take more stops off of the other drivers to pad your OT.
Don't wanna be rude, but this smacks of a cake and eat it too scenario.

wadep

You just want to buy a damn Harley with all that overtime you were getting. Just buck up, break down and buy it already. *LMAO*

HazMatMan

Do I have a case?

You need to talk to the preload manager. See what he has to say about starting early. If he says ok then get with your center manager about starting early if he says ok then start early and tell the supe to kiss your :censored2:..

One question though, is that procedure for an understaffed preload? For drivers to come in early??
Just remember, you are a driver not a preloader, you are not guaranteed any preload hours, you are guaranteed 8 hours as a driver. If you are there before your start time then let someone know you are available to work. (if supes are working)