do I have to help?

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
the tradeoff of having massive union job protection, is you will work as directed or face discipline, right up to DOT cutoff if necessary

I understand where your coming from. I have to help someone everyday also, and I get dispatched with the most stops in my center. I go out with 330 and get done at 530 !nd have to go help someone that goes out with 150 with a helper, its because they want to bs around all day, and don't want to be expose that they can do that, so they will continue to send them ot with that and we will continue to have to save there asses. The older guys are set in there ways, there so use to doing 100 stops that use to be ok in 1999, but its 2012, things are changing, if u can't handle it, retire, or take a article 22 Job, and let us young "runners" handle it.
I thinks it's because management thinks you're stupid. I can't figure out why though.

Nickfury7

No I can just handle it, without whining and complaining. You keep taking your little 58 stops out old head. And its funny how they say the new generation is lazy.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
For the past few weeks if been able to bust my ass and get off early 615ish. Then this week I had to help 3 drivers on the 3 separate days??? Anything I can say or do not to have to help.

its gonna happen this time of year,,there is a huge number of drivers that think its cool to get sigs at every stop and max there miles in an attempt to do as little work as possible, I over-heard our dwarf shop stewart boasting to his fan boys about how he insists his helper gets sigs at every stop and in doing so he will only go out with 30 to 40 more than summer...So.. especially this time of year runners will have to compensate for those that take there livelyhood for granted,, if it continues after peak than talk to your center manager,, they will make adjustments

UPSGUY72

There is nothing that pisses me off worse than show up to help someone later in the when they open there back door nothing is in the 1000 or 2000. Everything is in the back of the truck usually half on the floor. They they ask you what you want to take and they have to hunt and peck for 20 minute to find the packages.

upsman68

You sound like one of those drivers that needs help everyday.
Actually I never need help and I don't get screwed because they know I do it by the methods. The firs day of peak I had 58 stops and I went and took about twenty of another member. I'm a team player I was just trying to make a point. I bet you do more stops in two days than I do in a week.

Actually I am joking. To each its own. I take my lunch. You work at your pace I'll work at mine. I don't mind helping if it'sstuff I know. Nothing pisses me off more than getting 20 stops in a neighborhood that I don't know in the dark.

barnyard

KTM rider
There is nothing that pisses me off worse than show up to help someone later in the when they open there back door nothing is in the 1000 or 2000. Everything is in the back of the truck usually half on the floor. They they ask you what you want to take and they have to hunt and peck for 20 minute to find the packages.

That is part of the reason why some people need help. Their driving is so sloppy that half their load is on the floor, then it takes twice as long to find stuff and they cannot figure out how anyone gets stuff done faster.

Early in my career, I went to help another guy, this was way before PAS. The other guy had the section all set up, even so far as to have neighborhoods separated by a little bit of space. He moved it to my truck and I asked him about it. He told me that if I drove smooth enough to maintain that load, it would come off twice as fast with less searching.

I learned a valuable lesson that day that has made so many days easier.

That is part of the reason why some people need help. Their driving is so sloppy that half their load is on the floor, then it takes twice as long to find stuff and they cannot figure out how anyone gets stuff done faster. Early in my career, I went to help another guy, this was way before PAS. The other guy had the section all set up, even so far as to have neighborhoods separated by a little bit of space. He moved it to my truck and I asked him about it. He told me that if I drove smooth enough to maintain that load, it would come off twice as fast with less searching. I learned a valuable lesson that day that has made so many days easier.
You learn a lot of tricks from the old dogs.

WorknLateHuh

That is part of the reason why some people need help. Their driving is so sloppy that half their load is on the floor, then it takes twice as long to find stuff and they cannot figure out how anyone gets stuff done faster.

Early in my career, I went to help another guy, this was way before PAS. The other guy had the section all set up, even so far as to have neighborhoods separated by a little bit of space. He moved it to my truck and I asked him about it. He told me that if I drove smooth enough to maintain that load, it would come off twice as fast with less searching.

hearing 15 pieces crash to the floor after a turn, or rocking the truck through a steep culvert is the worst.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Like my union rep says "I am not telling you to slow down but to use all the methods." I love it.

and take all your break at a regular time. "Can you meet so and so?? He will be there around 1800, just take some break if you have to wait."

"Sry, took all my break already."

They can't tell u when to take break even if some is left. Ill wait but ill be paid to wait would be my reply.

UPSGUY72

It's not there driving it the fact that they don't sort anything they hunt and peck at every stop. At 5 or 6 at night all the rest of your stops should be all sorted in the 1000 and 2000 sections not on the floor or in the 7000 and 8000 section mixed in with your PU's.

Brownslave688

No I can just handle it, without whining and complaining. You keep taking your little 58 stops out old head. And its funny how they say the new generation is lazy.

A very very very small percentage of the populations body can take working at your pace everyday for 30+ years. It's likely yours won't be one of them.

barnyard

KTM rider
It's not there driving it the fact that they don't sort anything they hunt and peck at every stop. At 5 or 6 at night all the rest of your stops should be all sorted in the 1000 and 2000 sections not on the floor or in the 7000 and 8000 section mixed in with your PU's.

I see what you are saying.

Sometimes, if things are going really well and things are coming off really fast, I don't slide things forward or I will have things set up so that the shelves are full, but in order, front to back. If that is the case for me, nothing is on the floor. I love a clean floor.

Nickfury7

And when I'm 30+ in, ill have a nice route, with only 120 stops, and ill be able to get through it still. There's guys that are 30-40 years old that can't do 180 stops a day, and where I deliver ay, you can get up to 10 stops on a block, some more. These guys make thete minds up in the morning that there going to need help, and they go slow all day.

kingOFchester

And when I'm 30+ in, ill have a nice route, with only 120 stops, and ill be able to get through it still. There's guys that are 30-40 years old that can't do 180 stops a day, and where I deliver ay, you can get up to 10 stops on a block, some more. These guys make thete minds up in the morning that there going to need help, and they go slow all day.
You sound like a dominator.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream

I can't wait to hear you complain about why they're adding stops to your route in about 10 years. They'll ride you till you're dead and broken and won't thank you. It's a good attitude you have to work hard. I think everyone should have this attitude. But the company will expect it from you all the time. Then when you're older or maybe a little hurt and you slow down to compensate, they'll ask you why you haven't met your SPORH or why you're over allowed by 100 clicks. You can point out that you have the most stops or pickups all day long and it's not going to matter to the numbers machine. Keep a steady pace now so you're not crapped on in your dotage.

kingOFchester

I can't wait to hear you complain about why they're adding stops to your route in about 10 years. They'll ride you till you're dead and broken and won't thank you. It's a good attitude you have to work hard. I think everyone should have this attitude. But the company will expect it from you all the time. Then when you're older or maybe a little hurt and you slow down to compensate, they'll ask you why you haven't met your SPORH or why you're over allowed by 100 clicks. You can point out that you have the most stops or pickups all day long and it's not going to matter to the numbers machine. Keep a steady pace now so you're not crapped on in your dotage.

He sounds like a trip killer. He will one day bid on a trip. Get the time study so low that he will bid off of it to go and screw up another trip.

Thanks.

Brownslave688

Exactly my best friend is one of the hardest workers I've ever met its 100 mph all the time. His dad is a driver ad he is always telling us how bad he wants to be a driver and we make so much blah blah blah. We both laugh and tell him at his pace ups would run him into the ground by 40. He's short of 30 and a beverage delivery man and his body is already breaking down.