Do unloaders have to break jams or can we make Supervisors do it?

I work in a New England Hub and constantly have to break jams on the belts in unload while our supervisors sit around doing nothing. My question is do I actually have to break the jams myself or can I make supervisors do it?

542thruNthru

I work in a New England Hub and constantly have to break jams on the belts in unload while our supervisors sit around doing nothing. My question is do I actually have to break the jams myself or can I make supervisors do it?

Do you work at UPS to make money?

Your job is to progress packages. Sort,load,unload and yes break jams.

Your supervisors job is to make sure you are doing that. Every time he does your job that's less money you are making. So no they don't break jams. Suck it up and break the jams.

Indecisi0n

the future of the company looks pretty bleek
tenor.gif

wilberforce15

The only case you have is if it's unsafe to break the jam while the belt is running, you have the right to shut it off to break it safely.

But yeah, you gotta break it if they tell you to break it.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Article 3 Section 7

a) The Employer agrees that the function of supervisors is the

supervision of Employees and not the performance of the work of

the employees they supervise.

cachmeifucan

Break the jam. I know it may suck but if he breaks the jam he is taking away bargaining work and money from you. If it takes you longer to load and break jam you get paid more. I bet you would cry if he loaded the truck then sent you home. New generation sucks.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
Also do it nice and safe (slowly) :)
Safety 1st. Every single time you do something that seems the least bit odd or different take pause. Think to yourself is this safe? Take the time to do it in the safest manner possible. If you can’t figure out what is the safest way ask for your supervisor to demonstrate the task in a safe manner, and take the time to watch. If you still don’t think it is safe bring it up to your safety committee, go up the management food chain or go the Union route. You get paid by the hour. Don’t get hurt!

The Range

In too deep
Your supervisor won't break jams? Here, they do everything to avoid employees breaking their own jams. You mean you can't load at 500 pph while breaking your own jams every 30 seconds? You must not be using proper methods.

RetiredIE

Retirement is VASTLY underrated

Wow. That is kind of like asking "Do unloaders have to unload packages or can I make supervisors do it?" As long as it is safe to do so, you have too. If you see a sup breaking jams, you should grieve it.

oldngray

nowhere special
Wow. That is kind of like asking "Do unloaders have to unload packages or can I make supervisors do it?" As long as it is safe to do so, you have too. If you see a sup breaking jams, you should grieve it.
Unless they have an hourly watching them "instruct" how to break a jam.