Do we work for a Ponzi scheme

menotyou

bella amicizia
I'm glad this post has started this discussion. It seems that all over centers are just trying to have a mean day be about 9 hrs. That's fine, but is it okay or fair to have someone run under 8(i.e. 6.5/7) and then have someone run 10/11 constantly? I don't think it is. Keep the routes in smaller blocks move the work accordingly and get everyone in about 9. I get that there will be those who screw it up and try and milk the clock but personally I think they should be handled on a route by route bases and stop making those who work hard work harder to pick up the slack. I'm a stanch advocate of the union way, but not of abuse of the language of the contract. An honest day's work should mean an honest day's pay. In my center for every 3 runner and gunner's trying to get done and make up time for the average we got 1 guy bringing it down and the union keeps protecting them. I say make them pay and get in line it's not fair that they go out and bs their way though their bid route when it should be done quicker. These are the same guys saying they are over worked when the 2 routes' next to them are doing more stops to compensate for their incompetence.

Call me goofy, but where do you see centers all over trying to get to 9 hr days? I thought we were here to service the customer, not to make sure all the routes were structured for 9hr days. And who says "these guys" are bsing their way through THEIR bid route? Maybe the covers run and skip lunch as they do in my center. You are pretty judgmental for being a "staunch advocate of the union way".

mferr84929

I'm glad this post has started this discussion. It seems that all over centers are just trying to have a mean day be about 9 hrs. That's fine, but is it okay or fair to have someone run under 8(i.e. 6.5/7) and then have someone run 10/11 constantly? I don't think it is. Keep the routes in smaller blocks move the work accordingly and get everyone in about 9. I get that there will be those who screw it up and try and milk the clock but personally I think they should be handled on a route by route bases and stop making those who work hard work harder to pick up the slack. I'm a stanch advocate of the union way, but not of abuse of the language of the contract. An honest day's work should mean an honest day's pay. In my center for every 3 runner and gunner's trying to get done and make up time for the average we got 1 guy bringing it down and the union keeps protecting them. I say make them pay and get in line it's not fair that they go out and bs their way though their bid route when it should be done quicker. These are the same guys saying they are over worked when the 2 routes' next to them are doing more stops to compensate for their incompetence.

mferr84929

Are the runner and gunners on the truck before the start time and do they skip lunch break and run making it hard on drivers who do the job correct. One driver told me how fast he was. I told him that like we are in a race that starts at 830 am and he starts running at 730 am. Then he ask me why am I so slow. What ever the start time is that's when you should touch the frist package and not before. Also not to skip your lunch break and tell other how fast you are. Your not fast you just had a 2 hour head start. This is why ups goes after you co-worker because they want them to do the same. Do you think its fair to the person who just wants to do his job for a fairs days pay for a fairs days work.

alwaysoverallowed

From reading other post in other threads that there is a trend in having some work more(10 hrs) and other work less(8 or so). For plp bsing through their routes I don't mean runners I mean the guys who spread out their pickups over a hour span when it can be done in 15 mins. Get to pick up, hold it open talk to those on the dock, use the internet, make a phone call, take a break, all while "making a pickup." In my house the union keeps sticking up for these guys,milkers, while letting the company run rickshaw over those who work and keep forcing more out of them.

QKRSTKR

Exactly. I never check my stop count in the AM. The guy next to me checks and he knows not to tell me. I deliver what I have and get paid quite well. I gave up 20 years ago ever thinking I would get home at a certain time.

That's me right there. I can't stand to look at the morning count. Other drivers know not to tell me. You can judge by the truck most times. I dont usually go thru my edd srceens either. I'll get to it eventually.

QKRSTKR

I do have to give my center manager credit in that he stricly enforces the "no one over 9.5" rule.

I just don't understand this. What's a "no one goes over 9.5 rule?" Hell our center had a 10.3 paid day one day last week. Over 3/4 of drivers over 9.5. Your centers stops per car must be reallllllly low.

Our center manager has absoulutly no control over how long we work. How can he get people in when the paid day in the entire center is so high?

And YES. I'm jealous.

ps. enjoy it while it last.

menotyou

bella amicizia
How's this for a scenario. DM takes blame for center manager's over dispatching. You don't see DM, so he is the imaginary demon. Your center manager really does have control over stops per car.

I work in the same district as Upstate. My building is ripe with over 9.5's. Same DM. Why can one building dispatch correctly and the other can't? Because my center won't, not can't. Start looking to where the blame really belongs.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How's this for a scenario. DM takes blame for center manager's over dispatching. You don't see DM, so he is the imaginary demon. Your center manager really does have control over stops per car.

I work in the same district as Upstate. My building is ripe with over 9.5's. Same DM. Why can one building dispatch correctly and the other can't? Because my center won't, not can't. Start looking to where the blame really belongs.

Our PDS does a good job with the limited control that he is given. I am usually punched out and gone by 1830 every day with at least a 9 hour dispatch.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Our PDS does a good job with the limited control that he is given. I am usually punched out and gone by 1830 every day with at least a 9 hour dispatch.
Thats my point, exactly. It might be limited, but it is there. Like I said before, we had a guy clock out at 10:20pm a couple weeks ago. The excuse the center manager gave metro was that dispatcher left after preload because he was ill, and center manager didn't have time to "fix" anything because he had to go to Syr. center manager "fixes" everyday. Why? When dispatcher is on vaca, Q does a fine job via computers from Syr. No "fix" needed that week. I have seen it with my own eyes too many times to count. Too many questions for me to believe they have lost all control at building level.

Either way, too many centers complaining about same issue for it to be "spotty". Don't get me wrong, I respect the hell out of P-man, but I think there is a bigger picture that is being hidden from us.