Do we work for a Ponzi scheme

alwaysoverallowed

Hey lets take 45 stops of off route 45x and move them to route 45y but take the work from 45y and move it to 45z. Oh shot, route 45z has too many stops lets put them on 45x. Hey look the numbers work.

alwaysoverallowed

sorry, can't figure out how to edit so here's the rest:

We all know EDD/dispatch/UPS/Atlanta/or someone else other then our sups. are told to move the work around
Isn't this how a Ponzi works?
Take the investment(work) and give it to the new man but tell everyone they're making out.
UPS is building a house of cards and investors are starting to notice (montley fool). I'm starting to believe that the stock holders, who mgnt seems to be beholden to, will soon figure this out and ask if there are any real gains in making 3 drivers drive over each other to make it seem there is work when there's not. Instead of streamlining the business mngt. seems to be adding redundancy to make things work(yeah i get it, it's a dead horse). But what will this mean for those with a few years, or decade with the company? Will they be able to weather the next economic storm with their voodoo? Will we last another hundred years? that's the question. Because it seems that mngt. just wants to pump up numbers and not streamline productivity.

alwaysoverallowed

when you take stops off joe then you give them to moe then you take stops off of moe then you give them to beau then you take stops off beau then you give them to joe that's logistics...hey I think I just came up the teamsters parody for the 2013 strike I better trademark that

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
sorry, can't figure out how to edit so here's the rest:

We all know EDD/dispatch/UPS/Atlanta/or someone else other then our sups. are told to move the work around
Isn't this how a Ponzi works?
Take the investment(work) and give it to the new man but tell everyone they're making out.
UPS is building a house of cards and investors are starting to notice (montley fool). I'm starting to believe that the stock holders, who mgnt seems to be beholden to, will soon figure this out and ask if there are any real gains in making 3 drivers drive over each other to make it seem there is work when there's not. Instead of streamlining the business mngt. seems to be adding redundancy to make things work(yeah i get it, it's a dead horse). But what will this mean for those with a few years, or decade with the company? Will they be able to weather the next economic storm with their voodoo? Will we last another hundred years? that's the question. Because it seems that mngt. just wants to pump up numbers and not streamline productivity.

Company made 5.8 Billion operating this way.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I gotta be honest, I really don't mind what these DPS's do with shifting work in every which direction. Every week they give a different excuse to the guys who complain about it: "we gotta make stops per car", "we were told we could only run this many routes", "it came down really light today". To me, it is what it is. I'm a split driver, have been one for almost 8 years now and by my own choice. If they put it on my car, I'll deliver it with a smile on my face, but if the company is gonna get rich this way, you better damn well believe I'm gonna get rich off of it, too.

bumped

All it does is piss off all of the drivers involved. Then, you have each of those drivers chirping in the dispatchers ear about it.

packageguy

All it does is piss off all of the drivers involved. Then, you have each of those drivers chirping in the dispatchers ear about it.

We have a dispatcher that does not care, drivers chirp in his ear, He says work was taking off your truck, but it really wasn't it was taken out of edd and packages left in truck. everyday it's different drivers. now they are stuck deliverying them without edd. Longer days makes for more money.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I gotta be honest, I really don't mind what these DPS's do with shifting work in every which direction. Every week they give a different excuse to the guys who complain about it: "we gotta make stops per car", "we were told we could only run this many routes", "it came down really light today". To me, it is what it is. I'm a split driver, have been one for almost 8 years now and by my own choice. If they put it on my car, I'll deliver it with a smile on my face, but if the company is gonna get rich this way, you better damn well believe I'm gonna get rich off of it, too.

Exactly. I never check my stop count in the AM. The guy next to me checks and he knows not to tell me. I deliver what I have and get paid quite well. I gave up 20 years ago ever thinking I would get home at a certain time.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Exactly. I never check my stop count in the AM. The guy next to me checks and he knows not to tell me. I deliver what I have and get paid quite well. I gave up 20 years ago ever thinking I would get home at a certain time.

That's my theory. I can look at a load most days and figure it out within the first hour. Looking at that number on the screen is just a mind-screw. Its almost never right, anyway.

probellringer

name--- im in ny...6 months ago we were --it wasnt uncommon for 3/4 of the group to be out till 8pm..now its 9-10pm...is it same by you ? i know they wait till its too late to hire more drivers..but something has got to give...

menotyou

bella amicizia
Same in NNY. One driver last week was out til 10:20pm. Excuse later was dispatcher left after preload because he was ill and center manager had to go to Syracuse, so he couldn't "fix" it. Whatever.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Same in NNY. One driver last week was out til 10:20pm. Excuse later was dispatcher left after preload because he was ill and center manager had to go to Syracuse, so he couldn't "fix" it. Whatever.

I do have to give my center manager credit in that he stricly enforces the "no one over 9.5" rule.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
We have one or two guys out late, but late by us is 8:00. In the grand scheme of things our building isn't that bad, but still, anyone out over 10 hours is still excessive dispatch, regardless of where you work at.

kingOFchester

I do have to give my center manager credit in that he stricly enforces the "no one over 9.5" rule.
Same here, They try to have everyone off the clock by 9.5. Cracks me up when I am sent to help someone who will be over 9.5, as I am aproaching 9 hours.....and still 20-30 minutes away from the building. Then they end up with 2 drivers over 9.5....while there are other drivers off the clock at 7hrs......

alwaysoverallowed

I'm glad this post has started this discussion. It seems that all over centers are just trying to have a mean day be about 9 hrs. That's fine, but is it okay or fair to have someone run under 8(i.e. 6.5/7) and then have someone run 10/11 constantly? I don't think it is. Keep the routes in smaller blocks move the work accordingly and get everyone in about 9. I get that there will be those who screw it up and try and milk the clock but personally I think they should be handled on a route by route bases and stop making those who work hard work harder to pick up the slack. I'm a stanch advocate of the union way, but not of abuse of the language of the contract. An honest day's work should mean an honest day's pay. In my center for every 3 runner and gunner's trying to get done and make up time for the average we got 1 guy bringing it down and the union keeps protecting them. I say make them pay and get in line it's not fair that they go out and bs their way though their bid route when it should be done quicker. These are the same guys saying they are over worked when the 2 routes' next to them are doing more stops to compensate for their incompetence.