Do you care?

Do you care about making service?

• Yes

Votes: 51 77.3%
  • No

Votes: 15 22.7%

• Total voters

bumped

I care about UPS' definition of service. Businesses are delivered before 5:00. Sometimes that means they get their delivery when I pickup (before 5 of course).

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
No. I am a professional driver with a CDL. my job is to do the best I can in a SAFE and professional manner.

if I make service, great. ( which I do 99.99% of the time )

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
My only motivation is watching my back due to management. When they ease off, I can worry more about service.

clean hairy

I disagree to a point. It is about cost now. Whoever can do it cheapest. Without service failures. Wins. For both of these factors. UPS is on top
I disagree about being all about cost and cheapest.
It is all about best product, best service, best price.
Consider this.
How many go with the cheapest bid on house repairs?
Stay in the cheapest hotels when on vacation?
Buy the cheapest strppied down econobox car to drive.
The higher price creates an expectation of better service.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I disagree about being all about cost and cheapest.
It is all about best product, best service, best price.
Consider this.
How many go with the cheapest bid on house repairs?
Stay in the cheapest hotels when on vacation?
Buy the cheapest strppied down econobox car to drive.
The higher price creates an expectation of better service.

Well? I do all the above. If UPS wanted to we could put both Fed ex and the post office out of business. Just with the vast system we have. If they cut prices. It would be a vacuum. How the wave of customers would flow.

By The Book

Well? I do all the above. If UPS wanted to we could put both Fed ex and the post office out of business. Just with the vast system we have. If they cut prices. It would be a vacuum. How the wave of customers would flow.
I'm not sure we would put them out of business as they would react to stay competitive. I think you are correct if we did cut prices we would be a lot busier. If Mercedes, Lexus, and BMW were to drop prices to gain market share I think more people would buy those brands as well.

clean hairy

Not really.
If the most expensive hotels were to slash prices, but the employees didn't care about service you would:
Be told to carry your own freakin bags to your room.
Express a concern about the room to the front desk and be told "deal with it"
You would get dirty towels, heat and a/c thay may or may not work.
A bed that appears a 6 yr old made it.
Food in the Restaurant over cooked/ under cooked, served on plates that were not cleaned very well, where a greasy spoon restaurant looks good.
In order to retain customers in a business, it all comes down to the employees, who care about the best service they can give for the price paid, even better service for a lower priced place to encourage repeat business.

AKCoverMan

All I can say is if you like the fat paycheck, pension, and insurance then you SHOULD care about meeting service expectations.

Every penny on every check and that pays for our benefits comes from our customers. The shippers AND the receivers. It does not come from UPS and it does not come from the Union.

I don't dislike management the way many so vehemently do, but I am not so concerned with service for the sake of the numbers on managements reports. I just want to take care of the customer..i.e. the goose that lays the golden eggs!

PT Car Washer

Ah, you beat me to it. As a driver in Feeders, I don't care about service. SAFETY is my primary concern.
At most I will only have a few service failures everyday. As a Feeder driver you could cause UPS to have thousands of service failures if you do not make it to the hub or centers safely.

over9five

Staff member
At most I will only have a few service failures everyday. As a Feeder driver you could cause UPS to have thousands of service failures if you do not make it to the hub or centers safely.

Lol, when I first came to Feeders, the DM said that. He was more concerned about accidentally taking a trailer to the wrong building.... "Check the packages, don't trust the seal control!!!"

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
All I can say is if you like the fat paycheck, pension, and insurance then you SHOULD care about meeting service expectations.

Well, our new insurance BLOWS, so can I stop caring about service now?

When I was in delivery I actually provided VERY good service and would crush routes because I didn't care about the $$. Management beat that out of me pretty fast, so then I became angry and bitter, so I would still provide the service, but the route crushing was seldom, and the $$ grew and grew. Throw in a few grievances for free money and it's even better.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
usually it is managements mismanaging that causes us problems in feeder. waiting for a tractor, fueling and washing tractor, no accountability for other drivers not doing their jobs, delayed dispatch, waiting for loads, going to the shop to fix equipment ( that should of been tagged and repaired before loading ), the list goes on and on. most of us wont cut corners or speed to make up for incompetence .

other than that , it is bad weather that causes us the majority of service failures.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Oh, yeah. I just LOOOVE the emergency situations I'm forced to deal with on trailers concerning stuff that should have been seen before they got loaded.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Oh, yeah. I just LOOOVE the emergency situations I'm forced to deal with on trailers concerning stuff that should have been seen before they got loaded.
It's like a pre trip on a package car. Doesn't do any good when it's time to go and the truck is full. Write the crap up the night before.

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
It's like a pre trip on a package car. Doesn't do any good when it's time to go and the truck is full. Write the crap up the night before.

If someone blew it the night before then that's between him and management. When it gets to my hands it'll be fixed or reloaded or it won't roll.