And as I hung up the phone it occurred to me
He'd grown up just like me
My boy was just like me

And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man in the moon
When you comin' home son
I don't know when, but we'll get together then, Dad
We're gonna have a good time then
Thanks for the lyrics, I never would have understood the post without them. You've totally changed my mind. I'm quitting UPS and getting a job at a bank making 10bucks a hour.

I'll tell my daughter and son they'll have to get a 80k student loan at 6% interest. Ill tell them they'll need to get jobs while in high school to pay for their own car instead of focusing on grades which is their current job. I'll also inform them I'll need them to get a real good job so I can move into their house when I'm retired because UPS pension just got cut and I couldn't save any money because of my new career. I'll also let my wife know she'll need to go to work because the only way to get quality time with children is to go to the most magical place on earth, 3 times a year. Good thing I have NetFlix though, we can watch TV as a family while playing on our iPhones.

You've shown me the light, thanks.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
My mother was a stay at home mom for a while. My siblings and I were always closer to our dad though because when he wasn't working, he was very much involved with us. My mother was just there, usually with her nose in a book.

As VonDutch said, it's the quality that kids remember, not the quantity. Choose your free time wisely, because they will only be young once.

clean hairy

The song is "cats in the cradle" by Harry Chapin.
It can be found on youtube, and makes quite an imapct to hear it as opposed to just reading the lyrics.

brown metal coffin

I struggle with the same thing sometimes but this job can afford you better long term provision for your family in the way of health care (real good health care) a very nice wage, a pension, good 401k, stock discount, etc... Truly for every $1 that you get UPS for they work you $1.50 for sure and I know that money can't buy happiness but it is darn necessary in this day and age. If you really care about your family; provision should be high on the list and then when you are not working make that time with your family quality.

The children will remember that you worked hard to provide for them and it may even set the tone for work ethic in your household. They will also remember that when Dad wasn't working we had a great time and he invested in us although he was weary. This is only my opinion and I realize that every home isn't the same. This is just what works for me.

Also, I know as sure as the sky is blue that I have missed some events and even shed tears over it but I have made a lot of events as well. Use the system to your advantage with; 8 hour requests, 9.5 grievances, scheduled days off and vacations. Schedule those tools around the times that your family is available or have something going on like school plays, school vacations or sporting events if they participate in those activities... Just my 2 cents.

jbg77

I
Obviously this goes out to the dads. I sometimes feel like I'm letting my family down by not being home as much due to the late hours we have to work. It's a passing feeling that doesn't linger too long. I wish I could be home more but the offset is providing for the family through my paychecks.
Anyone else get that feeling?

I used to question whether or not i was a good dad do to the amount of hours i work. Im still preload, cover drive when needed and work a fulltime job, so often times i work all 7 days. The wife and kid are understanding. She is a stay at home mom so otherwise she couldnt be. When i am able to drive full time i will actually have more time with them than i currently do.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
My father worked a lot when I was a kid...and he worked evenings so there were plenty of weeks when we'd only see him awake on the weekends. He always tried to make time for us....and earned enough so my mother didn't have to work. I remember how proud he was when I graduated from college and at my brother's graduation from boot camp. He did the best he could with the time he had....that's all you can ask of anyone.

You've Got Mail

It's pretty rare for the wife not to work nowadays, unless the married couple is over the age of say, 40 or 50? Most wives in their 20s or 30s have to work these days.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
A man has to do, what a man has to do. For me, that means working hard 5 days a week and providing for my family. Sometimes that means many weeks of late nights and fatigue. But, the reward is seeing my children excel at school and providing enough to afford for my wife to stay home and nurture them. It's old fashioned and doesn't lead to fancy toys, but as a father, I will never regret the opportunity to work for THEM. I've always had respect for the real men and women that try to do the same. Being a good father isn't glamorous, but your kids will love you for your sacrifice.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
My wife would go nuts being a stay at home. She has the option, but wouldn't enjoy it.

I wish I had had the option. When I think of the potential of my children and how it could have been expanded upon if I had been able to be home with them, it makes me sad. But..... Gotta do what ya gotta do. Considering I work all the time, they're pretty awesome.

Last edited:

undies

Some of these posts had me tear up a bit. Good to know the struggle is real and I'm not the only person that worries. In the end I really do try to make the most of the time we have together. My daughter is only 9 months now, but I do my damnedest to make her laugh and smile every chance I get.

Some of these posts had me tear up a bit. Good to know the struggle is real and I'm not the only person that worries. In the end I really do try to make the most of the time we have together. My daughter is only 9 months now, but I do my damnedest to make her laugh and smile every chance I get.
She will be full grown ,before you know it. Make the most of it,Daddy.