Do you feel like a good father?

HardknocksUPSer

Quality time teaching your kids how and what a parent should be far exceeds all of the lost quantity time some kids recieve, even when your kids are grown they'll still remember how hard you worked for them and they will realize how much you really cared for them by trying to give them a good life, I'm only 19 and don't have kids but I look up to my dad for always putting food on the table and a roof over my head everynight, when I was young I didn't notice how much he done for me when he would work 50-60hr weeks but as Ive gotten older I respect that even though he was an alcoholic he still took care of my mah and my siblings, I still remember those quality times on the rare occasion my dad and I would go fishin on weekends.

clean hairy

All we can do as Prents is to try and raise the Children to have solid values, to know right from wrong.
To be encouraging in any venture they may pursue, even if we don't feel it is right for them.
To be able to catch them when they fall, and to always be ther for them, when the first girlfriend or boyfriend breaks up with them and their heart is hurting.
Not to blow our stacks when they wreck the car (it is just a part of being a Parent) knowing the car can be replaced but they can't.
The hope and apprehension of when they move out to spread their wings, and knowing there will still be the phone calls daddy (or Mommy, I love you) knowing they want something, and be willing to help at a moments notice when asked.
In the absence of an instruction book, we do the best we can and treasure all the time we spend with our Children!Guess I am just reminiscing a bit.

barnyard

KTM rider
I was a stay at home dad till I went FT at UPS. The summer before I went FT, I knew it was coming so we did picnics, fishing and boating, pretty much every day.

My oldest is working on her PhD in physics and has no student loans and is being paid to get her PhD.

The youngest has 1 more week of student teaching and will have a double major in agriculture education (all 12 grades) and biology education (grades 6-12).

Thanks to my wife's family, I think we did all kinds of right things and now that I have ft UPS dough, we go on awesome vacations every summer.

I am anxiously waiting for marriages and grandkids.

Last edited:
Yeah, that happened to me too but I try to make up for it now by visiting my son in prison and my daughter at the mental hospital.
That's kinda funny. I visited my father in the Mansfield reformatory for seven years from the age of five to 12. This had a profound influence on me to this day. Mom had a nervous breakdown and became an agoraphobic. I lost a lot of memories between this time. Meaning I blocked it out. It comes and goes with certain smells or sounds sometimes and leaves me a little confused. All this makes me think I'm a better father than the one who is my father. I try really hard and hope that someday when my kids find out the real story they will understand why I am who I am. All in all I consider this a blessing because it made me fiercely loyal to the friends I have and my two kids and wife. I'd work myself to death for my family I have now and I care for my close friends very much. Glad things worked out some how. God bless.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
That's kinda funny. I visited my father in the Mansfield reformatory for seven years from the age of five to 12. This had a profound influence on me to this day. Mom had a nervous breakdown and became an agoraphobic. I lost a lot of memories between this time. Meaning I blocked it out. It comes and goes with certain smells or sounds sometimes and leaves me a little confused. All this makes me think I'm a better father than the one who is my father. I try really hard and hope that someday when my kids find out the real story they will understand why I am who I am. All in all I consider this a blessing because it made me fiercely loyal to the friends I have and my two kids and wife. I'd work myself to death for my family I have now and I care for my close friends very much. Glad things worked out some how. God bless.
Your a good dude Lead Belly like myself. Honor and respect for the people you care about and their loyalty to you. Totally get ya, im sending ya a big respect LB:bow:lol.

brown bomber

brown bomber
I'll present it from a whole new angle,..I was both Mom and Dad to my daughters after Mom passed away when the girls were aged 12 and 9,..yet I kept working full-time, and bending the rules to participate in my girls extracurricular activities...it required alot of late nights (after school stuff, phone calls, homework checking), and early mornings (laundry, housework, making lunches) in order to make sure that they did in fact thrive,..and they did indeed....It probably took a dozen years off of my life, but I'd make that sacrifice in order to see them be a success

OPTION3

My father worked a lot when I was a kid...and he worked evenings so there were plenty of weeks when we'd only see him awake on the weekends. He always tried to make time for us....and earned enough so my mother didn't have to work. I remember how proud he was when I graduated from college and at my brother's graduation from boot camp. He did the best he could with the time he had....that's all you can ask of anyone.
One of the best posts ever!

bbsam

Staff member
Huge balancing job between family and work....very important to have a understanding spouse as mentioned above...at times you might find yourself to tired to even communicate with spouse,but it is very important to express to them what is going on.Very important to always keep up with kids events school functions,sports etc. If your not working you need to be at there events even if your late....there are no excuses for not being there.
Oh, is that ever true!

My oldest son's first Christmas program...

I was working but had a little time. Was going to blow it off but something nudged me to go. I got there a little late, just as his class was getting up to sing. As I walked in, he looked up and the smile he radiated at me let me know right then and there let me know just how special my presence was and as I watched I knew I had to make these events whenever possible because even if it seems somewhat inconsequential to me, it is what is happening in my child's life and thus paramount to me.

There's more though. Even the everyday happenings are special. Reading time, Xbox with the boys, homework, taking my daughter to Justice...yeah, it's all pretty special even when I'm tired and have to force myself, it's important to them so it's important to me.

Future

Victory Ride
89e9f15bbf724d03a7d478804a1cbeb14f558b4e9403b742444afe76811a1c7c.jpg
INDE?​

I'll present it from a whole new angle,..I was both Mom and Dad to my daughters after Mom passed away when the girls were aged 12 and 9,..yet I kept working full-time, and bending the rules to participate in my girls extracurricular activities...it required alot of late nights (after school stuff, phone calls, homework checking), and early mornings (laundry, housework, making lunches) in order to make sure that they did in fact thrive,..and they did indeed....It probably took a dozen years off of my life, but I'd make that sacrifice in order to see them be a success
There no doubt about it. You're a great man.