Do you feel like a good father?

undies

Obviously this goes out to the dads. I sometimes feel like I'm letting my family down by not being home as much due to the late hours we have to work. It's a passing feeling that doesn't linger too long. I wish I could be home more but the offset is providing for the family through my paychecks.
Anyone else get that feeling?

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
My kids came along kinda late in life for me. When I was a package driver, there was no such thing as a curfew, or 9.5. It made for a late day most every day...I had just gone into feeders when my first child was born. Didn't have much choice in my start times, so I took a 20:00 start. I was able to pick up the kids from school, take them to their Dr. appointments, etc. I even coached my son's t-ball team in the afternoons and was able to tuck them in before I left for work. If I had stayed in package, I would have only been able to see them on the weekends. Didn't sleep a whole lot, but I was young. lol. An understanding wife goes a long way.

I am a part time employee and I was just notified yesterday that a position is available, I told them
If take it as I have been waiting 2 years to go full time. The kicker is that my wife is 8 months pregnant I was scheduled to have two weeks off when she is having her scheduled c-section. Now I am going for my road test today and I'm unsure when I'm going to driving class and starting Fulltime but I'm almost certain that it will all fall around when she's having
The baby and I was supposed to take vacation. I feel like a bad dad and my kid isn't even born yet :(

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Obviously this goes out to the dads. I sometimes feel like I'm letting my family down by not being home as much due to the late hours we have to work. It's a passing feeling that doesn't linger too long. I wish I could be home more but the offset is providing for the family through my paychecks.
Yeah, that happened to me too but I try to make up for it now by visiting my son in prison and my daughter at the mental hospital.

I didnt see alot of my kids while they were growing up. But....I was able to make enough money to have a stay at home wife.

Its a tough choice. but I look at it this way. She was able to be a full time mother. Instead of working. Not many people have that option.

Future

Victory Ride
Huge balancing job between family and work....very important to have a understanding spouse as mentioned above...at times you might find yourself to tired to even communicate with spouse,but it is very important to express to them what is going on.Very important to always keep up with kids events school functions,sports etc. If your not working you need to be at there events even if your late....there are no excuses for not being there.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I get to see and interact with my kids about 2 hours per workday, so I guess that's not too bad. I see even less of the wife, especially on weekends,

Packmule

I didnt see alot of my kids while they were growing up. But....I was able to make enough money to have a stay at home wife.

Its a tough choice. but I look at it this way. She was able to be a full time mother. Instead of working. Not many people have that option.
That's about how it was here too. Also, a lot of kids didn't/don't have a dad at all. Like me. And look how wonderful I turned out!

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
No, I feel like I am doing a good thing. You are capable of giving your children experiences most kids won't ever have. You have the money, and vacation time to be able to spend time with you family and give them great memories. For me it actually helps with my relationship, when I was working 8 hours a day, we would all get on each others nerves, me and my wife would argue all the time. Now they are excited when I walk through the door. I only get to see my family maybe 2 hours a day since, my wife works and kids go to school but honestly that makes the weekends that much better. Saturday is our fun day, and Sundays are our lazy relax days and I look forward to them every time.

9.5er

Ok, here is my serious post. I may not be able to help out with the after school activities but I am able to carry my kids to school in the morning and have a couple hours at the end of the day with them. Don't forget weekends.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My father (not my Dad) set the bar very low but I do feel that I was and continue to be a good father to my two children.

I am looking forward to being the best Grandpa that I can be.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Look two generations ago, the wife wasn't in the workforce and generationally speaking, children grew up with better morals and knew right from wrong. Nowadays, a majority of households have both parents working, leaving even less time to raise children.

Thank goodness I have a job that allows me the option to be the proverbial "bread winner" and allows the Mrs to do her job as a FT mother.

Not at all saying you can't raise children properly with both parents working, but when time is limited, you can't let the internet and TV get more one on one time with your children than you. As someone posted earlier, it's about quality, and being intentional about raising kids. Everything we do as parents is to give our children the best possiable options growing up, that includes making decisions that they might not understand till they are parents themselves.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I too have a stay at home wife. She home schools the kids. Has a now full time at home business. Seems to double each of the first 5 yrs. As long as the kids help out . Only 4 more yrs. Then , i can be home ordinary hours. There were days i'd bust my ass to get to baseball games. Now ballet and baseball on weekends. But, the money I earn makes it work.