Do you have any respect for managers who never did delivery driving?

AssistantSanta

1) That does seem a bit unusual but the responsibilities and ability to be a good DM has little to do with the ability to be a good driver.

I don't find it unusual at all and I absolutely agree. Put it this way.
Good coach make or break the team.

Put one of the best coaches to actually play and it won't work out. It isn't necessary to have much physical strength as a coach.

Put one of the best players to coach and it might not really work out. Even if they're able to perform exceptionally under the guidance of the coach, they may not have the ability to provide effective guidance.

Good skilled trade workers maybe very good at the work they do, but they don't necessarily know how to run the business and may run it to the ground if they took it upon themselves. On the other hand, good business manager guys might suck at hands-on-work.

At the risk that someone will call me out as "you're just a seasonal blah blah blah", it is my opinion that successful operation planners and managers need to see whats going on in the field and this isn't UPS specific.

Even though I'm just a seasonal helper, I'm studying production and operations planning, so I try to see the connection between what goes on in the field vs planning.

UPSGUY72

I don't find it unusual at all and I absolutely agree. Put it this way.
Good coach make or break the team.

Put one of the best coaches to actually play and it won't work out. It isn't necessary to have much physical strength as a coach.

Put one of the best players to coach and it might not really work out. Even if they're able to perform exceptionally under the guidance of the coach, they may not have the ability to provide effective guidance.

Good skilled trade workers maybe very good at the work they do, but they don't necessarily know how to run the business and may run it to the ground if they took it upon themselves. On the other hand, good business manager guys might suck at hands-on-work.

At the risk that someone will call me out as "you're just a seasonal blah blah blah", it is my opinion that successful operation planners and managers need to see whats going on in the field and this isn't UPS specific.

Even though I'm just a seasonal helper, I'm studying production and operations planning, so I try to see the connection between what goes on in the field vs planning.

Good coaches get fired all the time for making bad decisions. Ups planners and managers see what happens all the time and still make bad decision just so they can justify having a job.

There are way to many cooks in the kitchen that are making bad decision in upper UPS management and the managers and SUP under them have no choice but to follow there direction or run the rick of being fired. T

The most powerful person in my building on a day to day basis isn't the building manger it's the Dispatch person they don't answer to the manager so they do what ever they want too get the stops per car number that some idiot made up. No matter if it turns out to be a 8 or 12 hr day for the driver.

Johney

Not even close but thanks for playing.
Ok then I'll just tell you from my experience. I know of at least 6 people who chose management in my time at UPS. 2 did it because they were fired as drivers and were given the management option(both still there) 1, I still to this day don't know where she is. 1 fired for fudging numbers. 1 did because he just couldn't physically do the job anymore. 1, again never knew what happened to him he just disappeared.

sosocal

Just North of me there are football coaches named Chip Kelly and Mike Leach that never played football (maybe some high school?)...I think they "manage" pretty well... I assume they are respected despite not "walking in their players cleats". I see it much that way. It is not whether you did or didn't...It's understading: employees, customers, business, motivation, approach, communication etc. I would guess that only 10 percent of my employees know that I drove....Of that ten percent I think zero care, or rate my day to day contribution to them, UPS and the center on that fact.

I have seen some managers and sups without driving expirience become very successful. Trick is to use what you have and not pretend you have what you don't.