Do your post-trip before you come back to the building????

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Apparently our Business Agent got in a heated argument with an ORION Band of Idiots who were telling package drivers to complete their post trip out on road when they had 4-5 stops left. Has this been going on anywhere else?

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
How can it be a post trip, if the driver is still trippin? Maybe because it is easier to explain away time OTR rather than after you get back to the building? Wow, never ceases to amaze sometimes.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
At least maybe it's getting done by some of you. I find lots of stuff that wasn't reported by just walking around the building. There's room for improvement here no matter where it gets done.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
At least maybe it's getting done by some of you. I find lots of stuff that wasn't reported by just walking around the building. There's room for improvement here no matter where it gets done.
Granted lots of guys don't post trip, but the reason stuff isn't written up isn't lack of seeing it--it's guys not caring about it. When I was a cover guy I saw a ton of things wrong with most trucks I drove.
If it was a spare truck I'd write it all up. If it was a bid route driver's truck & it was something non-safety that appeared to be existing for a while I'd make sure the bid driver knew about it. If it was something that broke that day, I'd write it up. If it was safety related I'd write it up.

Since I got my own route if it's safety I write it up, if it's non-safety I tell my mechanic in person and let him do it when he has time.

Future

Victory Ride
Granted lots of guys don't post trip, but the reason stuff isn't written up isn't lack of seeing it--it's guys not caring about it. When I was a cover guy I saw a ton of things wrong with most trucks I drove.
If it was a spare truck I'd write it all up. If it was a bid route driver's truck & it was something non-safety that appeared to be existing for a while I'd make sure the bid driver knew about it. If it was something that broke that day, I'd write it up. If it was safety related I'd write it up.

Since I got my own route if it's safety I write it up, if it's non-safety I tell my mechanic in person and let him do it when he has time.
had a guy years ago when i was cover....never wrote things up .....was afraid they would pull his truck out ......I would write them up .....it was crazy that he didnt

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
P.S. Unfortunately, there is no DOT requirement for a post-trip inspection, only a post trip report.

§ 396.13: Driver inspection.

Before driving a motor vehicle, the driver shall:

(a) Be satisfied that the motor vehicle is in safe operating condition;

(b) Review the last driver vehicle inspection report; and

(c) Sign the report, only if defects or deficiencies were noted by the driver who prepared the report, to acknowledge that the driver has reviewed it and that there is a certification that the required repairs have been performed. The signature requirement does not apply to listed defects on a towed unit which is no longer part of the vehicle combination.

------------------------------------
Question 25: Section 396.11 requires the driver, at the completion of each day’s work, to prepare a written report on each vehicle operated that day. Does this section require a "post trip inspection" of the kind described in §396.15?
Guidance: No. However, the written report must include all defects in the parts and accessories listed in §396.11(a) that were discovered by or reported to the driver during that day.

Here are the complete DOT regulations:
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/part/396

That being said, there could be state regulations requiring a post-trip and it's company policy to do a post trip. As dumb as it is, if management tells you to do a post trip on the road, do it as long as you've done a proper pre-trip.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Here is an excerpt from the methods:
309tq14.jpg

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian

I'm largely talking about punctured and flat tires.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
had a guy years ago when i was cover....never wrote things up .....was afraid they would pull his truck out ......I would write them up .....it was crazy that he didnt
It is crazy to not write it up. It will just get worse and I WILL find it eventually and it will be pulled for even longer when I do.

reginald95

My post trip consists of answering a couple of questions.

Did I hit something? No.
Does the truck run? Yes.

Ok good I'm out.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Apparently our Business Agent got in a heated argument with an ORION Band of Idiots who were telling package drivers to complete their post trip out on road when they had 4-5 stops left. Has this been going on anywhere else?

I don't even know why he would talk to them.

They are low level management.

One step above a part-time supervisor. :biggrin:

-Bug-

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
another show of integrity.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
P.S. Unfortunately, there is no DOT requirement for a post-trip inspection, only a post trip report.

§ 396.13: Driver inspection.

Before driving a motor vehicle, the driver shall:

(a) Be satisfied that the motor vehicle is in safe operating condition;

(b) Review the last driver vehicle inspection report; and

(c) Sign the report, only if defects or deficiencies were noted by the driver who prepared the report, to acknowledge that the driver has reviewed it and that there is a certification that the required repairs have been performed. The signature requirement does not apply to listed defects on a towed unit which is no longer part of the vehicle combination.

------------------------------------
Question 25: Section 396.11 requires the driver, at the completion of each day’s work, to prepare a written report on each vehicle operated that day. Does this section require a "post trip inspection" of the kind described in §396.15?
Guidance: No. However, the written report must include all defects in the parts and accessories listed in §396.11(a) that were discovered by or reported to the driver during that day.

Here are the complete DOT regulations:
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/part/396

That being said, there could be state regulations requiring a post-trip and it's company policy to do a post trip. As dumb as it is, if management tells you to do a post trip on the road, do it as long as you've done a proper pre-trip.
disagree with your last sentence. post trip means post trip and I would tell management so. I'm the one with the CDL and have to obey federal and state laws which supercedes UPS rules or directives if they are against those laws. have had many arguments with UPS bosses on this and eventually they capitulated.