Dodged One

MassWineGuy

So last week I was driving down a one lane road to where it splits into a left turn lane at a light. I had just gotten into that lane driving about 5-8 mph when BAM, my right side mirror hit a pickup truck’s driver side mirror in the adjacent lane. Or so I thought. I was watching clearances on both sides carefully so was totally unsure how that happened.

We turned the corner and pulled over. The guy was very pleasant and said “I don’t want to get you in trouble with your company or get insurance involved.” The glass in his mirror was intact, the plastic molding around it had a piece missing. My mirror was completely gone. I was extremely scared of being written up and thought his idea sounded good. We exchanged phone numbers and the plan was to buy him a new mirror on eBay and send it to him. I called my manager moments later and said that I’d slid on ice and hit the mirror on a street sign.

A few minutes later I decided I just couldn’t lie and I’d tell her what I believed had occurred. I texted the guy and asked for photos of his license and registration. He replied that someone where he works told him the mirror was already broken earlier that day. He apologized for the inconvenience.

So after pm sort we sat down and I apologized for lying. She grew suspicious of the other driver for not giving his or asking for my information. She thought if I’d hit his mirror it would have shattered and mine would have folded in. But if he hit me from behind my mirror would likely have come off, which it did, and the glass in his may not have broken.

The report read that the other driver passed me in the adjacent lane and hit my mirror. Not preventable. And that he didn’t provide his driver information.

So my three year safe driving streak continues.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
So last week I was driving down a one lane road to where it splits into a left turn lane at a light. I had just gotten into that lane driving about 5-8 mph when BAM, my right side mirror hit a pickup truck’s driver side mirror in the adjacent lane. Or so I thought. I was watching clearances on both sides carefully so was totally unsure how that happened.

We turned the corner and pulled over. The guy was very pleasant and said “I don’t want to get you in trouble with your company or get insurance involved.” The glass in his mirror was intact, the plastic molding around it had a piece missing. My mirror was completely gone. I was extremely scared of being written up and thought his idea sounded good. We exchanged phone numbers and the plan was to buy him a new mirror on eBay and send it to him. I called my manager moments later and said that I’d slid on ice and hit the mirror on a street sign.

A few minutes later I decided I just couldn’t lie and I’d tell her what I believed had occurred. I texted the guy and asked for photos of his license and registration. He replied that someone where he works told him the mirror was already broken earlier that day. He apologized for the inconvenience.

So after pm sort we sat down and I apologized for lying. She grew suspicious of the other driver for not giving his or asking for my information. She thought if I’d hit his mirror it would have shattered and mine would have folded in. But if he hit me from behind my mirror would likely have come off, which it did, and the glass in his may not have broken.

The report read that the other driver passed me in the adjacent lane and hit my mirror. Not preventable. And that he didn’t provide his driver information.

You’d have been walked out at ups to maybe get your job back but maybe not

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Never, ever, ever work out a deal with another driver in an accident and most importantly, don’t lie.

I would have fired your :censored2: for lying and also not getting the other guy's info at the scene of the collision. You have to do that even if you're not at fault and got hit initially. The other driver could claim something else happened entirely and then you would be on the hook.

Last edited:

McFeely

Huge Member
We had a dude get fired for a VERY minor incident while backing, but he lied about it and was shown the door. Management even gave him a second chance to be honest about it once the customer had sent them video footage from their facility showing that he had done damage, and he still wouldn’t fess up.

Not sure why the guy cared about Effing safe driving coins anyway.

MassWineGuy

I agree with all of you. Extremely dumb. I don’t know if he would have shown me his license had I asked him to his face, but I should have asked. Can’t force him to give it to me. I know that lying is worse than the incident. And I knew that private deals usually go south when the other driver discovers two weeks later that they were badly “injured.”

I definitely thank my stars and learned a lesson. Very grateful, too, that I have a human for a manager and not a brain washed Kool Aid drinking zombie.

Last edited:
I agree with all of you. Extremely dumb. I don’t know if he would have shown me his license had I asked him to his face, but I should have asked. Can’t force him to give it to me. I know that lying is worse than the incident. And I knew that private deals usually go south when the other driver discovers two weeks later that they were badly “injured.”

I definitely thank my stars and learned a lesson. Very grateful, too, that I have a human for a manager and not a brain washed Kool Aid drinking zombie.
You shouldn't be on the road to begin with...

MassWineGuy

You shouldn't be on the road to begin with...
To begin with? Why? Don’t just make a snide remark and leave it hanging. In what ways are you perfect?

All your posts across the board show a mean-spirited, close-minded and not at all thoughtful person. Let Covid just kill as nature intended? What if you were chosen? Or a close family member?

You drive for UPS, I gather.

Last edited:

Thesearecrazytimes

You got incredibly Lucky Mass Wine. It is always best to report these things promptly. Its usually not the incident that will get you fired, but hiding them sure will. I use to report EVERYTHING no matter how small just in case.

Star B

White Lightening
I'm glad you survived but personally, I'm kinda disappointed that you lied about the accident at first.... even though you've heard on here, time and time again, JUST BE HONEST WITH ACCIDENTS.

To begin with? Why? Don’t just make a snide remark and leave it hanging. In what ways are you perfect?

All your posts across the board show a mean-spirited, close-minded and not at all thoughtful person. Let Covid just kill as nature intended? What if you were chosen? Or a close family member?

You drive for UPS, I gather.

I don't drive for UPS. I don't drive for FedEx. I say what I please with no regard for your feelings or others'. I'm far from perfect, but I know you're too dumb and incompetent to stay behind the wheel. Any free pass you had before today is long gone and hopefully you will be booted before long. The road will be a little safer with you gone.