Does anybody see anything wrong with this idea?

BrownArmy

Look, I'm just some guy, who technically doesn't even work for this company anymore. If what I said helps you, great .. if not, then I'd be happy to explain the points that don't make sense.

I just appreciate your response...the acronyms don't matter, but I finally understand why even though everything is 'scanned', it actually isn't.

I've probably asked five people in management about this, and no one's been able to give me a straight answer (or they didn't know, or they didn't care, or they didn't have time).

Anyway, my takeaway was that UPS isn't going to fix something that isn't broken, and as far as UPS is concerned, this system isn't broken.

Like I said, it works 'just good enough'...

laffter

You have one problem UPS pays you to deliver packages not THINK... Your thinking to much that's your problem this job isn't hard but some people make it very difficult for themselves.

Well, they pay me to load packages, anyway. If they didn't pay me to think, then I'd start loading my cars front to back in the order the packages come down my slide. That would really make things nice and easy.

But I do get your point. The more you concern yourself with how much of a mess things are, the harder you're making it for yourself. I think everyone who stays with the company for any extended length of time figures that one out on their own.

Anyways there is only so much info that can be carried in your diad and it most likely has to due with battery life the more info that the DIAD holds for each package requires more power to process.

Technically you are correct. There is a limit to how much data can be stored on those devices. If that limit does not allow for the transmission of slightly more detailed delivery information, then UPS got ripped off. Any battery usage having to do with the quantity of data being stored on the device is likely negligible. Most of it goes towards the fancy backlight, and probably the GPS function.

curiousbrain

I just appreciate your response...the acronyms don't matter, but I finally understand why even though everything is 'scanned', it actually isn't.

I've probably asked five people in management about this, and no one's been able to give me a straight answer (or they didn't know, or they didn't care, or they didn't have time).

Anyway, my takeaway was that UPS isn't going to fix something that isn't broken, and as far as UPS is concerned, this system isn't broken.

Like I said, it works 'just good enough'...

It's because they don't know; my management team didn't know, and there's really no reason for them to know I suppose. I figured it out on my own by reading help documentation, plus a little of trial and error.

As a driver you probably wouldn't be surprised by just how dumb your management team is, but I would point out that when it comes to the technology that UPS employs, the ignorance of most management people is a damn crime.

If anyone wants to test the theory, track a package in ETT, use the blue arrow, and then scroll down - it will show something like "TYPE OF SCAN", and it will say "derived". If you use the blue arrow for a 'delivery scan' or something like that, it will say "physical".

As an aside, it also shows the DIAD model that scanned the box, what time it was scanned, the stop number in EDD, and a whole lot of other interesting information which, when researched, pulls the curtain back on a lot of UPS technology.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

BB, are the terms "derived scan" and "virtual scan" basically one in the same?

upsguy---what is wrong with trying to learn more about some of the technology that we use in our jobs?