Does Atlanta Even Vett these Whiteboard ads?

magoo57

This is to any of the corporate spies from the home office that are suppossedly spying on this site:
Does anyone check these 'whiteboard' ads before they hit the air?
I saw the latest while watching football on Fox today. The longhaired Gaul is changing the drawn picture as he tells the viewer that they can drop off a package at any dropbox, at UPS.com, at any UPS Store.......
or give to any UPS driver.
The fool did not state that there must be a UPS label on the package!!!!
Beware, drivers. I know that you have always taken packages from customers, and that you have always taken Mrs. Smith package RTS to QVC if she caught up to you in the neighborhood.
But now little old ladies may be accosting UPS drivers to take their package- and they expect that you will take the package WITHOUT a label.("It never said so on the TV ad. And he seems like such a nice boy.") I envision hoards of ladies with 20 dollar bills trying to make drivers take the packages.And chasing the brown trucks down the cul-de-sac.

outamyway

I was told as an air driver not to take ground packages from customers that do not have a scheduled PU, even though they are supposed to be able to give it to any UPS driver if they have a pre-paid label.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I was told as an air driver not to take ground packages from customers that do not have a scheduled PU, even though they are supposed to be able to give it to any UPS driver if they have a pre-paid label.
I believe that would be a pay issue, as an air driver I believe you would get paid a different rate if you touch ground, but I could be wrong.

Overpaid Union Thug

If it is an "ARS" label than an air driver can take it and not get paid for ground. According to the contract.

Channahon

I've been gone for awhile, but when 911 happened and security tightened up all over the country, procedures were put in place not to accept air shipments from "unkown shippers". A customer with a prepaid label, may fall in that category. You may want to follow up with your supervisor or airport management, if you go directly to the airport.

Channahon

Magoo,

When I first viewed the commercials, I responded on UPSer's.com that this was by far the worst campaign I've seen in my career at UPS. As you can see, that didn't make a difference. What really gets me is this campaign cost UPS 35 million.

I watch a lot of football as well, and when this clown shows up on the screen with his long hair and back to me, well, it's just time to get another adult beverage.

magoo57

Chann,stupid is one thing. But this ad may raise some security issues in our post 9/11 world. It is a dumb ad campaign (WHERE IS THE LOGISTICAL ELF ADS??) but have the 'whiteboard' ads actually given out erroneous info before?

rod

Retired 22 years
Magoo,

When I first viewed the commercials, I responded on UPSer's.com that this was by far the worst campaign I've seen in my career at UPS. As you can see, that didn't make a difference. What really gets me is this campaign cost UPS 35 million.

I watch a lot of football as well, and when this clown shows up on the screen with his long hair and back to me, well, it's just time to get another adult beverage.
Those white board ads are so dumb they are embarrassing to watch:sleeping::sleeping:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
have any of you seen the spoofs of the whiteboard ads on youtube. If you havent, go check them out...pretty funny stuff.

tieguy

Banned
This is to any of the corporate spies from the home office that are suppossedly spying on this site:

rhetoric a little strong here magoo. Lot of upsers out there that view or spy as you call it including people that work in corporate land.

Does anyone check these 'whiteboard' ads before they hit the air?
I saw the latest while watching football on Fox today. The longhaired Gaul is changing the drawn picture as he tells the viewer that they can drop off a package at any dropbox, at UPS.com, at any UPS Store.......
or give to any UPS driver.
The fool did not state that there must be a UPS label on the package!!!!

He also did not discuss dimensional weighting. Nor did he discuss the different service levels. Taping requirements. Nor the compression requirements of the cardboard box. Padding / filler , invoice inside the box yep none of it was discussed. I obviously could never be in marketing because I would not have picked the "long haired gaul" as my marketing approach. Yet everything I hear is gaul has been very successfull for us.

DorkHead

He also did not discuss dimensional weighting. Nor did he discuss the different service levels. Taping requirements. Nor the compression requirements of the cardboard box. Padding / filler , invoice inside the box yep none of it was discussed. I obviously could never be in marketing because I would not have picked the "long haired gaul" as my marketing approach. Yet everything I hear is gaul has been very successfull for us.

At first, I couldn`t stand the commercials, thought they were blah and still do. But what I do admit is that they get the point across and if I were a business, the idea of a presentation on a whiteboard would appeal to me because it is so commonplace in the business world.

HazMatMan

I believe that would be a pay issue, as an air driver I believe you would get paid a different rate if you touch ground, but I could be wrong.

Yeah Tooner, I have seen air people get paid driver rate FOR THE WHOLE 8 HOURS after touching just one ground package.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Sorry but I think the White Board commercials are lame. When they come on I mute the TV or surf the channels to see what else is on. If most people do this too I don't think they are getting the point across. A good funny commercial takes a long time to get tired of and you can get a grin out of them many times over. Then you remember the company and what they have to say.

magoo57

Tie, I hope the language makes some in Atlanta stand up. Yes, dim weight and service levels and taping requirements are not discussed in this ad. But hear the ad from the customers' points of view. "Any driver can take any package that you wish to send UPS"
Of course he doesn't say that. But what an adman says and what the customer hears are two different things. A little lady in her 70s who is afraid to drive will only hear that the UPS driver will pick up any package - and then my vision of little old ladies chasing brown trucks through the subdivisions may turn true. Waving their $20. bills as payment.
Our customer Counters have a similar problem in the fact that a customer can CHOOSE what they want to hear. The 800 number tells the SDWC customer that a package may be at the Customer Counter Between 7 and 8:30 pm. What does the customer hear?
"blah blah blah blah 7 blah pm."
If the ad stated that the driver would pickup any packages already with a UPS label (how many of you drivers have had to refuse a Fedex or a USPS package with the customer there insisting that you take it?) then I am all for the ad.
This is not about what I think of the ad campaign. That is for persons of a lot higher paygrade than me. I just want ads that will not cause more problems than they cure.

over9five

Staff member
"Yet everything I hear is gaul has been very successfull for us."

And everyone raves about how good PAS is too!

C'mon, Tie, we all know that no matter how bad something is, no matter how much it costs..... UPS will keep plodding along telling everyone how good it is.

tieguy

Banned
"Yet everything I hear is gaul has been very successfull for us."

And everyone raves about how good PAS is too!

C'mon, Tie, we all know that no matter how bad something is, no matter how much it costs..... UPS will keep plodding along telling everyone how good it is.

hmmmm....me thinks someone did not get their dose of daily brainwashing? :happy-very:

Over look deep into my eyes......gaul highly successfull....PAS next best thing to sliced bread...I can do 220 stops in snow......

over9five

Staff member
hmmmm....me thinks someone did not get their dose of daily brainwashing? :happy-very:

Over look deep into my eyes......gaul highly successfull....PAS next best thing to sliced bread...I can do 220 stops in snow......

......the management team is always right........ company good, union bad.......to-ing is no problem in snow.....tieguy is my favorite manager and good looking too......

(Was that too much????)

(You know, the TO part???)

upsgrunt

......the management team is always right........ company good, union bad.......to-ing is no problem in snow.....tieguy is my favorite manager and good looking too......

(Was that too much????)

(You know, the TO part???)

Over- Is the new tag line "what can brown nosing do for you?":wink2:

rushfan

The same "team" also designed the new 2008 Calendars. Thank goodness I'm moving to Feeders so I won't have to hand out such an embarrassment.