Does becoming a driver mean you have to learn how to drive stick?

LoveUPS

Saw a video recently of a guy that drove automatics his entire life failing the test because he never drove such a big vehicle before and didn't know how to drive manual

Brown echo

If u are not alive than for sure truth is not real
Saw a video recently of a guy that drove automatics his entire life failing the test because he never drove such a big vehicle before and didn't know how to drive manual
To be a real Man you need to know to drive stick!! just saying!!

PeakMode

Arrive Peak Leave
I dont think they order PCs with sticks anymore. Doing whatever it takes to deskill the driver but wonder why tier 1s and 2s are going up.

blakerben

I work in a hub in Oklahoma that doesn’t require you to drive a stick shift to be a driver since the majority of package cars we have are automatic. I believe it has to be 90% automatic vehicles in a hub.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
To be a real Man you need to know to drive stick!! just saying!!
I have a father I saw every other weekend who didn’t give a :censored3: about teaching me anything, and who never owned a stick. It wasn’t until my early 30s that I learned to drive one for this job.

I still considered myself a man. Just saying.

Brown echo

If u are not alive than for sure truth is not real
I have a father I saw every other weekend who didn’t give a :censored3: about teaching me anything, and who never owned a stick. It wasn’t until my early 30s that I learned to drive one for this job.

I still considered myself a man. Just saying.
I din't need a father to became a man either ! I learned to drive stick about 12 year old just to catch up with my friends , I think was a motorcycle first , Never had a Father figure but, I found role models and payed off for who I am today, thanks to thoses who hate me too !! I little man at 12 years old and still that Man today!!

Last edited:

brostalss

learned standard at 5 years old, have owned them since i got my first car, i hate autos, always look for a clutch hahaha,

Pretty much self taught. It's not that hard to learn. I used to sneak out at night and take my Brother's '85 RX-7 out and practice.

My Dad showed me some stuff about starting on a hill. I did a gnarly burn out the first attempt. He was soooo mad but couldn't help but bust out laughing after the tire smoke came inside. I didn't roll back.

FromOffTheStreets

Pretty much self taught. It's not that hard to learn. I used to sneak out at night and take my Brother's '85 RX-7 out and practice.

My Dad showed me some stuff about starting on a hill. I did a gnarly burn out the first attempt. He was soooo mad but couldn't help but bust out laughing after the tire smoke came inside. I didn't roll back.
That's exactly my story. Haha
Although I'm not sure if it was an 85. My dad also took me to a hill to learn out in the country

trailer loader

Trailer Loader
That's why I buy manuals, cuz millenials cant steal it.
well i guess technically i am a "millennial" since the google says so, lol, but im 34, the first car i learned on was a standard, and keep buying them, i hate autos, taught myself to drive on a 4 speed 83 ranger with locking hubs and manual 4wd, love that truck, still have it, but ex mother in law killed it by running it without oil, (she "borrowed" it for a few weeks to haul trash and weeds) one day, maybe i will get it running again.

Grey

My driving test was an automatic and I still didn’t ace it by any means. They must’ve really needed drivers when I was hired.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
yes

I learned on my own with a 65 VW. always preferred sticks.

"2nd speed!!!!! the boomer gear"

boss gave me ( before UPS ) an old tractor with 2 sticks and I asked him how to use it and he said to take it and "you'll learn"

I did too but pissed off a lot of people learning because sometime had to come to complete stop and start over with the gears. haha

Last edited: