Does no union mean no job security?

fty589

I drive around all day and see what other people are doing and wonder what it’s like to have another job. Most people don’t work under the protection of unions and I’ve heard some customers complain about how much their job sucks while other people don’t believe that unions serve much of a purpose.

So to those of you who have worked outside UPS, what’s it like? Is it as bad as it sounds? Do managers go around just firing people on the spot and the employees living in constant fear of getting canned?

Keep in mind that I started working at UPS when I was 21 and haven’t really done anything else so I don’t know what it’s like in the “outside world.”

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I'm currently in a non-union job and am the most free, independent, and unsupervised I've ever been at a job. My last two raises were 25% and I am currently making more per hour than when I left UPS driving. I rarely work over 40 hours per week, get paid to drive to and from work in a company vehicle burning company gas, and it isn't uncommon to have competing companies trying to steal me. Guys like me who know what the :censored2: they're doing are hard to come by. I feel my job security is pretty good.

DOK

My son works for a non-union company, they want to keep the union out, so they keep up with wages and benefits of similar union companies, actually slightly better.

BrownSnowFlake

I drive around all day and see what other people are doing and wonder what it’s like to have another job. Most people don’t work under the protection of unions and I’ve heard some customers complain about how much their job sucks while other people don’t believe that unions serve much of a purpose.

So to those of you who have worked outside UPS, what’s it like? Is it as bad as it sounds? Do managers go around just firing people on the spot and the employees living in constant fear of getting canned?

Keep in mind that I started working at UPS when I was 21 and haven’t really done anything else so I don’t know what it’s like in the “outside world.”
I’ve worked many other jobs before (and during) UPS so I can answer your questions with some degree of accuracy. My response will mostly apply to low-skilled jobs; i.e. jobs like ours that have very few requirements for prior education and experience.

1.) What’s it like?
The pay sucks but the workers deserve it bc they spend half the day dicking around on their phones. I mean this literally. Multiple hours per week of just sitting around, doing nothing. Most have never heard the phrase “If you have time to lean, you have time to clean.” I would always pick up a broom and start sweeping or something. Normies think this is hilarious and weird and also that it’s billionaires’ fault they can’t afford a house.

2.) Is it as bad as it sounds?
Depends what you mean. Many jobs have irregular hours or adverse environmental conditions. The pay is not always commensurate, having a union helps greatly. Keep in mind that most people who participate in the “my job sucks more” pissing contest do so bc they are boring and lame.

3.). Do managers go around firing people? Do workers live in fear of getting canned?
Probably not so much nowadays. First, nobody wants to work, so bosses have to do the best they can with whoever bothers to show up. Again, this is both cause and effect of abysmal wages. Second, HR is terrified of catching a lawsuit for discrimination against [insert woke Victim Of The Week]. However, if upper management decides it’s time to reduce labor costs, middle management will start looking for reasons to let people go.

Really the answer to all your questions is “It depends”. Some places have awful conditions and awful pay. Some places have great conditions and awful pay. UPS has awful conditions and great pay. If you want great conditions and great pay… run for Congress.

Last edited:

fty589

I'm currently in a non-union job and am the most free, independent, and unsupervised I've ever been at a job. My last two raises were 25% and I am currently making more per hour than when I left UPS driving. I rarely work over 40 hours per week, get paid to drive to and from work in a company vehicle burning company gas, and it isn't uncommon to have competing companies trying to steal me. Guys like me who know what the :censored2: they're doing are hard to come by. I feel my job security is pretty good.
Do you mind saying what you do exactly? I’m always curious what kind of work people find themselves doing.

542thruNthru

Not even close. Do you ever get tired of embarrassing yourself being wrong about everything all the time?
Not even a little...
giphy-92.gif
tenor-94.gif

Commercial Inside Release

If you want a job that resembles a union, but without all the union bull, then you should try working for the government (especially Federal.)

Pro: Coworkers can't even make accusations without proof.
(Private sector is dog eat dog, lie, manipulate, spread rumors & lie some more.)

Con: Whatever you are up to that is illegal (most of the rules parallel the law,) will mean prison time if you get caught. Every rule comes with at least a 5-year sentence, and a $5000 fine (to cover court costs.)

Otherwise, government is an employer that will follow the laws (can't even say that about unionized companies,) will give you COL raises, benefits, and pensions.

Government will follow ADA, EEOC, and probably the only employer out there that complies with OSHA.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
You stick electrical wires up your butt